10 Replies Latest reply: Aug 28, 2014 1:07 PM by luminis86 RSS

Tour De Flex is currently not working - desktop or web version. Why?

Niels Peter Johansson Community Member

I'm trying to install the TourDeFlex air app. from this link:

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flex/tourdeflex.html

When doing so, the app installs and I can run it, but when trying to select 'What's Flex', then I get 'NOT FOUND'.

Can anyone help me?

TourDeFlex_bug.PNG

• 1. Re: Tour De Flex is currently not working - desktop or web version. Why?
          Dong il Won

I am currently having the same issue. (I am not trying to install, but have been using TourDeFlex for years..)

When I launch the TourDeFlex, it shows message below at the home screen.

If you are seeing this, Tour de Flex has not detected an internet connection and you are offline. Most of the AIR samples will work offline but many other samples require an internet connection.

Also, every components shows this...

Tour de Flex_2014-06-23_17-56-09.png

I guess there is something going on the server or services (whatever) for TourDeFlex.

I've tried to find out what's going on but couldn't find any clues.. No announcements nor news/reports but Niels Peter's post here.

Does anyone know what's happening?

• 2. Re: Tour De Flex is currently not working - desktop or web version. Why?
            Flex harUI Adobe Employee

Adobe did a major overhaul of its web presence.  This was likely a casualty.  Not sure if it is intentional or not or what it would take to get it revived.

That said, all of the source code was donated to Apache Flex, however the mostly-volunteer folks over there simply haven't found a time to resurrect it and update it.  Any volunteers on this forum are welcome to help out by subscribing to the dev@flex.apache.org mailing list and jumping in with an email.  If we can get TDF operating on Apache servers then there will be less chance of interruption in the future, and folks won't be stuck using something that must now be at least 3 years old.  Lots of bugs and features have been added to Apache Flex, which probably make some parts of Adobe's TDF obsolete.

-Alex

• 3. Re: Tour De Flex is currently not working - desktop or web version. Why?
              HowardJachter

If it's a casualty, why does Adobe still promote it on the web site? You say "lots of bugs and features have been added". Is that one of those bugs?

• 4. Re: Tour De Flex is currently not working - desktop or web version. Why?

Sorry, I meant lots of bugs have been fixed.  But by Apache, not Adobe.  Adobe is still shipping 4.6.  Apache Flex is shipping 4.12.

• 5. Re: Tour De Flex is currently not working - desktop or web version. Why?
                  HowardJachter Community Member

Then why, in heavens name, not continue to support 4.6 which is still

shipping from Adobe. Tour de Flex is one of (or the most) useful

tutorial tools available for learning/mastering 4.6 and I depended on it

until you guys pulled the plug capriciously. BTW, the documentation for

anything beyond 4.6 is abysmal at best making these updates useless in

this developers eyes. That means that developers like me are still using

4.6 and you guys are pulling the rug out from under us. Why? Well,

certainly not for the good PR.

Totally inadequate would be a generous description for the Apache Flex

site and community support concept -- so it really annoys me to hear

Adobe employees throw up their hands and pass the buck to a virtually

non-existent community model and in the same breath say that they are

still shipping and I assume, making money off this unsupported product.

Since you are listed as "staff" I'm assuming that you have something to

do with Adobe, yes?

• 6. Re: Tour De Flex is currently not working - desktop or web version. Why?
                    pauland Community Member

Howard, the Flex ship set sail from Adobe a long time ago and I think Alex is pretty unlikely as a candidate for being the one responsible or having it in his power to get Adobe to host anything to do with Flex.

Adobe has little to no interest in Flex and we should be glad that Alex is still around in any capacity to help people as best he can.

I'm not quite sure what status Alex Harui has these days - whether he is now working for Apache, or an Adobe employee assigned to help the transition of Flex to Apache.

A lot of us were pretty angry with Adobe's decision to discontinue further development of Flex and to discontinue development of Flash in the mobile browser, but I don't think Alex is responsible or has any power to change what's happened.

• 7. Re: Tour De Flex is currently not working - desktop or web version. Why?
                      HowardJachter Community Member

Paul -- Are you saying that Adobe assigns a moderator with little knowledge, no authority, no responsibility and no ability to communicate user feedback for a product which is shipping, promoted on their web site and a component of the CREATIVE CLOUD that I am paying a hefty monthly charge for? How could that be?

Alex, is Paul correct? What is your role here (obviously not STAFF) and is there anyone at Adobe with authority to restore Tour de Flex?

• 8. Re: Tour De Flex is currently not working - desktop or web version. Why?
                        pauland Community Member

Alex is "Mr Flex" as far as I am concerned. In the good old days Adobe loved Flex and it was probably a factor in their acquisition of Macromedia, the original developer of Flex. Alex was a leading figure in the ongoing development of Flex at Adobe.

It would be entirely wrong and foolishly sensationalist to describe Alex as "a moderator with little knowledge, no authority, no responsibility and no ability to communicate user feedback".

Just understand this.

Adobe no longer develops Flex.

Flex is an SDK not a program.

Adobe (Macromedia) developed Flex as an SDK and a toolset to support the SDK.

Adobe has completely halted development of the SDK and I believe the last officially Adobe supported Flex SDK version for flash builder is 4.7.

Adobe donated the Flex SDK to Apache (I'm not sure about the compiler, I think so) together with a bucket-load of money and some development resources to support ongoing development for the near-term.

Alex was an Adobe employee, probably still is and is providing ongoing support for Flex, primarily as an Apache project.

Adobe has no real interest in Flex beyond smoothing it's movement to Apache and providing a level of ongoing assistance to those Adobe customers who invested in the product.

Flash Builder has not really progressed very much since the 'devolution' of Flex and I would not expect Adobe to invest in it's development for Flex (but only Adobe knows). What company invests in a product it has given away? Flash Builder is also usable from the Flash IDE and it may be that the technologies merge.

Adobe has no real incentive to restore Tour de Flex and Alex has given you some ideas why it might now be obsolete and why Apache hasn't restored it on their site.

Alex has every right to be 'STAFF'.

• 9. Re: Tour De Flex is currently not working - desktop or web version. Why?

Sure, there are folks with the authority, but it isn't me.  I forwarded your prior post to the person I think can make the decision.  We'll see what happens.  Basically, Paul is correct.  The TDF sources have been donated to Apache, the problem now is that Apache folks don't have the bandwidth to resurrect it on Apache servers.  Apache is a volunteer community so if folks want to pitch in to help, let us know on the dev@flex.apache.org mailing list.

I just lurk on this forum trying to help when I can, mostly to try to get folks to move to Apache Flex.  It is no longer under my set of responsibilities.  I am still and Adobe employee, but I'm supposed to spend 100% of my time trying to make Apache Flex as good as it can be.  Over at Apache, we've even got an alpha of a next-gen Flex SDK and tool chain called FlexJS that outputs MXML and AS to JS.  A different set of folks support Adobe Flex and Adobe Flash Builder, but only via issues raised via Adobe Support.  I don't believe they watch this forum.

The future of Flex is in the hands of the Flex developers who get involved with Apache Flex.  Adobe has only promised five years of support for Flex 4.6 (since it announced the donation to Apache) and has no plans to make any future releases.  Over at Apache, Adobe has no influence over Flex.  There Flex can live on forever with out fear of surprises from corporate strategy changes.  So, if you like Flex and want to keep using it, join the Apache Flex mailing lists and contribute code, testing, answers and help upgrade Tour De Flex.  Over 400 bugs that are in Adobe Flex 4.6 have been fixed in Apache Flex releases.

There is no big company like Adobe pouring big money into Flex like it used to.  It is up to you, the folks reading this forum, to contribute what you can and collectively create its future.   Adobe is actually spending serious money to help by paying me and some others, but it isn't like it used to be.  Flex is now truly a community project.

Hope to see you over at Apache,

-Alex

• 10. Re: Tour De Flex is currently not working - desktop or web version. Why?
                            luminis86

Hi everyone,

I just want to tell to everybody who would see this forum that Apache has rebuilt a "Tour de Flex".

It is still not as good as previous version, but it's a good start!

Apache Flex Tour De Flex Component Explorer

Hope this will help some people like me who have waited so long for "Tour de Flex" resurection!

And for my part, I will try to join the Apache community to see what I can do for this project!