5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 5, 2013 8:43 AM by John T Smith

DVD  Blu-Ray region codes

adobenewbie123 Level 1

Hi everyone,

I am buring a blu-ray disk within Premiere Elements and wanted to know what the region code would be for the final output. I live in the United States so does that mean it is region 1? Or would the disk be considered region 0 which would work anywhere. I am planning to submit my film to a festival and wanted to label the disk properly.  Also, on a semi-related note, does anybody know of any free players that can be downloaded online  to watch a Blu-Ray disk on the computer.  I recently purchased an external Blu-ray burner to be able to create this disk but I would aslo like to be able to watch the final output on the computer.

Thanks for your time!!

• 1. Re: DVD  Blu-Ray region codes
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Region codes are kind of unique to commercial discs. So you shouldn't have to worry about them at all. Premiere Elements doesn't even provide for them in its disc burning software.

As for playing BluRays on your computer -- well, you'll need BluRay disc player hardware to play the disc itself. A DVD disc drive won't do. But if you do have a BluRay disc drive you should be able to play it with virually any player. Although I have a soft spot for the free VLC Player, which gives what I consider the best playback of DVDs and BluRay discs.

• 2. Re: DVD  Blu-Ray region codes
            adobenewbie123 Level 1

Thanks Steve.  I am going to download  the VLC player.  So glad to hear there are free options.

• 3. Re: DVD  Blu-Ray region codes
              A.T. Romano Level 7

adobenewbie123

DVD has different region codes, such as 0, 1, 2........

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD_region_code than does Blu-ray

whereas Blu-ray has 3 (A, B, or C)

The DVD region code can be reset by right clicking the drive and following through to Properties and Hardware there.

But be sure to read the info about how many changes you can make before doing any region code setting changes. The following is typical type of information that you will run into in this regard.

http://www.cyberlink.com/support/product-faq-content.do?id=11433&prodId=1&prodVerId=-1

I have my DVD region code set for 1.

I assume that I set A for Blu-ray when I was setting up the Blu-ray burner or that it was pre-set by the manufacturer based on the place of purchase. From what I have read, unlike DVD, the Blu-ray region code is stored in the software not the hardware. Based on that I would assume that details for changing Blu-ray region code would be dependent on the software manufacturer's how to.

ATR

Add On...I saw SG's post after I submitted my post. I would second his mention of the VLC player for computer playback of your Blu-ray. But did not the Blu-ray drive come with software to  for computer play back for your Blu-ray disc format on DVD disc?

• 4. Re: DVD  Blu-Ray region codes
                adobenewbie123 Level 1

Thanks A.T.R.  Good stuff to know!

• 5. Re: DVD  Blu-Ray region codes
                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

As Steve said, region codes have no meaning in PreElements (or Encore)

You may enter anything you want... the code will not be written to disc... essentially, a region code of 0

The only time a region code is used is for replicated, not burned discs