11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 25, 2015 9:24 AM by Laubender

Paste & Paste in Place problem

Salah Fadlabi Level 5

Hi there,

Recently i have these problem in the following description:

1- Create a new documet.

2- Draw a recangle frame on a page.

3- Copy the frame, and when i go to the other page on the same document the paste command is grayed.

Another problem:

1- Copy empty rectangle frame

2-  Go to other page, when i paste the frame is filled with a content (fake content)

content.jpg

Also when i copy an item and try to paste it in place command it's not paste in same place.

I tried troube shooting

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/526990

but there's no solution

I tried Creative Suite Cleaner and reinstall and install indesign but all of these it's not solve the problem.

Indesign CS6 8.0.1

Windows 64bit

• 1. Re: Paste & Paste in Place problem
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Paste in place uses the page coordinates from the original page, and if the ruler origin is not in the same place you will see a shift (or even pasting onto the wrong half of a spread or the pasteboard), but the other stuff is just strange. I would try replacing the prefs again, using whichever method you didn't use the first time.

• 2. Re: Paste & Paste in Place problem
            Shlomit Heymann Level 1

Hi Peter,

I now have a very strange problem, using CS CC 2014.

I've created a master with 5 pages that are not the same sizes. It's a soft cover with flaps - so the middle page is the spine, than on each side of the spine the front and the back, than another 2 pages for the flaps.

I than tried to copy an element from the master and paste in place on the pages, but to my surprise, it pasted it in a different horizontal place. the Y was fine, but the X is wrong,

I tried to change the rulers from "per page" to "per spread" but it didn't help.

I created a whole new file, but I get the same behaviour.

Any idea why?

Thank you

shlomit

• 3. Re: Paste & Paste in Place problem

Hi Schlomit,

I don't think the answer is any different than above.

• 4. Re: Paste & Paste in Place problem
                Shlomit Heymann Level 1

Thank you Peter.

I trashed prefs, nothing helps I get the same results.

Shlomit

• 5. Re: Paste & Paste in Place problem

Paste in place is based on the original page geometry and, I think, to where that page is positioned on the pasteboard, so a horizontal shift in this case would not be unexpected.

• 6. Re: Paste & Paste in Place problem
                    Shlomit Heymann Level 1

But how do you change it?

After designing the Master pages, I dragged it to down to pages, so It's not that I changed anything.

The pages (spread) are the exact as the master...

• 7. Re: Paste & Paste in Place problem

But are they in the same position on the pasteboard? When you start playing with the Page tool to change page geometry things shift.

• 8. Re: Paste & Paste in Place problem
                        Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

@Peter – hm, maybe a bug in the MiddleEast version of InDesign CC-2014?
                        If you look at the Pages Panel in Shlomit's screenshot, you will notice that he is using an RTL page binding.

I cannot see this phenomenon in my version of InDesign CC-2014.2 v10.2.0 (German).

Btw.: Changing the zero point or the ruler units or changing the ruler origin usually will not change positioning of page items with "Paste In Place". InDesign will always correctly paste in place. I say usually, because there is a chance, that *something* happened to the pasteboard(s) of individual spreads changing the origin of the coordinate system behind pasteboards and is not available to the graphical user interface. Or something was happening to the unerlying matrix that is drawing the page bounds of a particular spread.

@Shlomit – did you recently resize page bounds? Or did you recently used the Alternate Layout feature with scaling objects?
                        But no, we can rule all this out, because you see the problem on a fresh, new document.

Uwe

• 9. Re: Paste & Paste in Place problem
                          Shlomit Heymann Level 1

Thank you guys. I just posted in the pre-release ME forum.

I think this is a new behaviour, I don't remember seeing it before the last update - but can't tell for sure.

• 10. Re: Paste & Paste in Place problem

Uwe,

The screen shot is from almost two years ago and isn't from CC2014. Schlomit has revived the thread...

• 11. Re: Paste & Paste in Place problem
                              Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Ahem; yes…
                              Sometimes I should read more carefully.

In the meantime I could have a look at Shlomit's InDesign document.

I think, what he is seeing is not related to the OP's problem, but an issue in itself I can already observe in InDesign CS3.

Something "bad" will happen to the positioning of objects copied from master spreads by "Paste In Place", if the overall width of all pages left from spine is not equal to the overall width of pages right from spine. The pasted (in place) objects will move by half of the value the overall page widths will differ.

Either in positive x-direction, if the violation of symmetry (the wider side) is on the left side of the spine, or in negative x-direction, if the violation of symmetry is on the right side of the spine. It's not important, if the binding is LTR or RTL.

Still I have to test a bit, to see if that hypothesis is sustainable…

What is working alright:
                              Overriding or detaching objects from the applied master pages.

That will work without seeing a shift.

Uwe