5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 5, 2013 1:59 PM by A.T. Romano

Problem sharing project

jcarter01

I shared the finished project and when replayed it runs but shows a black or blank screen with no audio.  The shared project does show the text I added to the project.

• 1. Re: Problem sharing project
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Please give us more detailed information.

Which version of the program are you using? Which media player did you use to play the shared video?

What model of camcorder is your original video coming from? What are you project settings (under the Edit menu)?

Which Publish & Share option and format did you select?

• 2. Re: Problem sharing project
            jcarter01 Level 1

Premiere Elements 11 / VLC Media Player and Window Media Player / Canon Camcorder to AVCHD format

I was able to burn to a DVD without a menu when I first started using the software then that ability stopped.

I have tried several times and different presets with no luck. DVD burns, opens and plays in a different computer (PC) with / in  two different media players which recognizes the file and shows the correct size or time of play but plays black or blank.  The only thing I see is the opening text I created in another video track.  I do see momentary images or video shots from random points in time in the video; but just for a second and the video goes back to black.  No audio either. 

To trouble shoot I have saved to the computer itself, and not as a DVD burn, as a MP4 file again I see the file, it has size but when I open it plays black or blank.

Any thoughts?

• 3. Re: Problem sharing project
              A.T. Romano Level 7

jcarter01

Thanks for the further details.

1. Could you post or write the properties of your source media? Two free utilities for that purpose are MediaInfo and gspot

http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en

http://download.cnet.com/GSpot/3000-2248_4-10381198.html

MediaInfo will probably give you more information; whereas gspot will give video and audio codec information about Name Codec and Status. The Status part can be installed, undetermined, or not installed.

2. Based on the properties of your source media, what is the program or you setting for the project preset? Please refer to Edit Menu/Project Settings.

3. Are you working from the Expert or Quick view. If Quick view, please stay in Expert view and its Timeline where I believe you can see better what is going on and thus have more control. Typically the Quick view has less features than the Expert view.

4. What do your computer resources look like? What is the computer operating system (including 32 or 64 bit) that you are running your Premiere Elements 11 on? How much available RAM and free hard drive space does this computer have?

5. Do you have photos in this project? If so, how many and what are their pixel dimensions?

Let us start here and then decide what next.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Problem sharing project
                jcarter01 Level 1

1. No, blew me out of the water

2. See one

3. Expert, I see the video clips in Video 1 track, I see the text creation in Video 2 track, I see the music in the Soundtrack

4. New computer, Window 7, plenty of space and RAM

5. No photos in the project

I just had some success in sharing/publishing to: Computer / MPEG / HD 720p 30 (Preset)  I can now view the video in VLC viewer

• 5. Re: Problem sharing project
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

jcarter01

Thanks for your follow up and good news that you obtained good viewing results from export from Publish+Share/Computer/MPEG with the HD 720p30 preset. Do you know what you did differently than what you did before when you got the blank or black screen with no audio.

Probably the three most important questions and answers related to the problem type that you presented requires information about

1. the properties of the source media (video and audio compression, frame size, frame rate, pixel aspect ratio, file extension)

2. project settings that should match the properties of your source media to avoid black borders and such

3. computer resources which, if compromised, can lead to blank or black video...typically "lots of space and RAM" should be replaced with numbers.

If those types of questions blew you away, sorry about that, but they have to be asked so that you can help us help you. If at any time you need clarification on anything that I write, please do not hesitate to ask. I will rewrite. No problem.

Knowing what you are importing into the project and import and export settings are important as well as using video and audio whose formats are supported by the program. Not all are. One size does not fit all.

We want to see you have success all the time and, when you do not, we hope to help you find out why not. How can we help you give us the information (similaryly asked for my SG) that would help to that goal?

Example 1.

1. Could you post or write the properties of your source media? Two free utilities for that purpose are MediaInfo and gspot

http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en

http://download.cnet.com/GSpot/3000-2248_4-10381198.html

If you are not able to get those downloads, then what does your camera specifications say that you are recording and what camera settings are you using? We can probably figure out the rest.

Example 2.

2. Based on the properties of your source media, what is the program or you setting for the project preset? Please refer to Edit Menu/Project Settings/General

Well we do not know the properties of your source video yet, so let us settle for the project settings that you are using. With Premiere Elements 11, the program does that automatically (sometimes OK, sometimes not so OK) or you do that setting manually. At this point, let us settle for whatever the current project settings are. You find that by going to the Edit Menu/Project Settings/General. In Project Settings, what do you see for:

Editing Mode

Timebase

Frame Size

If your problems are not resolved, then we can start there and then move forward to some troubleshooting.

But, your latest report sounds like you have made progress already without our help. Keep up the good work. Remember we are here to help if and when you need us.

Thanks.

ATR