Some of waht you are describing could be caused by the application of character styles in addition to the paragraph styles, but it also looks like there may be some file coruption. See Remove minor corruption by exporting and see if that helps.
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply.
I tried exporting as .idml file and re-opening, but all the paragraph styles went away (they still existed in the paragraph styles menu, but none were any longer applied to the document itself).
However, I had not checked character styles, and this does indeed seem to play a role here – by selecting "none" in character styles for a bit of the running text that was coming up Meta instead of AGaramond, then checking "intro text" in paragraph styles, and voila – the correct style appeared as if by magic. Bravo!
So I will delete ALL character styles from the original document, even those that do not appear to be interfering with paragraph styles. If I may ask another question, if I apply a character style in addition to a paragraph style (for instance, old style numbers in a regular paragraph), will it mess with the .mobi export?
Thank you very much!
1 person found this helpful
First, .idml defintiely should not be interfering with the application of styles, so I think you have some serious problems in the file someplace. I would export each story to InDesign Tagged Text or RTF and place into a brand new file.
I have absolutely no experience with the .mobi format, so I can't answer that with authority, but I would be very surprised if using character styles was a problem. That's a pretty basic feature of typography.
Bummer. I've found that there are fairly regular file issues with the CC version of InDesign 6, as much as I like the program overall. Periodic "InDesign is shutting down" alerts, files that can't be recovered, things like that. I don't do a lot of complex work, just straightahead design firm kinds of things (annual reports and the like), but I've learned to just keep saving and roll with it and we get by. Never used to happen with previous versions, though.
Anyway, Peter, I will go ahead and rebuild the file per your suggestion and hope that cleans things up (and thanks for opinion re: in-paragraph character styles, too).
Thanks again – I appreciate your assistance!
CS6 might be a little buggier than CS5 was, but I certainly haven't seen a lot of crashing or problems with my own files created in CS6, and we don't get tons of reports of that sort here, either. Conversions from legacy files is another matter, however, and we've seen increasing numbers of reports, in my opinion, of problems that seem to crop up afer older files are directly converted by opeing the .indd file. Based on the number of these reports I simple recommend never opeing an older version .indd or .indt file in CS5 or later. Instead, export to .inx or .idml from the original version and open that for conversion. If that's not possible, open the .indd or .indt, then export to .idml and resave before doing any editing (this is not as good, but better than not doing it).
If your files are starting out in CS6 (and it makes no differnce if you are a Cloud subscriber or have a perpetual license -- it's the same software) and you have continuing problems it usually means that you haven't kept up with patches or you have a configuration issue of some sort that is specific to your machine rather than a problem with the file itself. You'd be surprised what sort of seemingly innocuous programs can have conflicts with ID and cause instability or file damage.