25 Replies Latest reply: Sep 14, 2014 11:00 PM by piyush1414 RSS

Removing Xvidly

rbjohns49 Community Member

When installing the trial version of Dreamwearver also installed was the ad program Xvidly. Now I've bought the program how do one remove the dam ad program Xvidly? It's lock on to my system guys.

• 1. Re: Removing Xvidly
          MurraySummers ACP/MVPs

Where did you get this trial version of DW?

• 2. Re: Removing Xvidly

I downloaded it from Adobe directly.

I had an issue when seeing Xvidly, not realizing when I remove it, Dreamweaver also was removed along with it. So I reinstalled the trial version and Dreamweaver was backup and running, so was Xvidly.

When I purchased Dreamweaver from Best Buy, not online, making sure I had the CD, all I had to do was just retrieve the serial number. This left the downloaded version on my system. In retrospect I should have removed the trail version and then install my new CD’s version of Dreamweaver.

Another concern now is I am not able to remove the Xvidly software as the first time with a third party software. Trying to remove it using the Control panel is futile. Nothing happens when requesting to uninstall the software.

• 3. Re: Removing Xvidly
              Preran Adobe Employee

Hi rbjohns49,

From what I see from search results Xvidly is malware that you will have to remove. It is unlikely that the Dreamweaver installation has anything to do with it. I found a solution on a Microsoft site http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_other-security/how-to-remove-xvid ly/f96e8038-8def-4fbf-9a30-7c4933f05541 that could possibly help you. There are third party tools that claim to remove the software, but I cannot vouch for their veracity.

Thanks,

Preran

• 4. Re: Removing Xvidly

Thanks I’ll give it a try.

• 5. Re: Removing Xvidly

Well, I am waiting for the download ~2 hours at a rate of 14.4KB. The server must be over whelmed. So beware!

• 6. Re: Removing Xvidly

That wasn’t any help, it found nothing wrong. One thing is the problem is associated with using the help command. It goes off and uses the web browser, and some how Xvidly is attached to it.

I am scratching my head over this one!

• 7. Re: Removing Xvidly
                      MurraySummers ACP/MVPs

Then the problem is with your browser, not with Dreamweaver. You would have to figure out how to remove Xvidly from the browser.

• 8. Re: Removing Xvidly
                        Nancy O. MVP

XVidly is a "browser extension toolbar"  that has been identified as a browser hijacker.  It has the ability to navigate your browsing activities, redirect you to other sites, change your browser settings and automatically installs other malware.  XVidly should be treated as a virus and removed ASAP.

http://www.removepcthreat.com/remove-xvidly-infection-quick-and-easy-way-to-remove-xvidly/

Nancy O.

• 9. Re: Removing Xvidly

I realize it’s the Browser. You fail to see this all happened when I downloaded the trial version. The hacker hitched a ride on the file. My browser had no issues prior to down loading the trial version of Dreamweaver.

So far the website Nancy O.’s suggested “

http://www.removepcthreat.com/remove-xvidly-infection-quick-and-easy-w ay-to-remove-xvidly/

“ website procedure on removing the issue requires a purchase of two different program to deal with the issue. You might want to try the download of the trail version on a virgin machine and pray it doesn’t end up like mine. So far in the last two days the problem has prorogated to 652 files on my machine!

• 10. Re: Removing Xvidly
                            Nancy O. MVP

Do you have anti-virus and anti-spyware software on your system? 

Have you tried running a full system scan?

Nancy O.

• 11. Re: Removing Xvidly
                              MurraySummers ACP/MVPs

I think it's exceptionally unlikely that the DW download was responsible for this. Sorry to disagree, but if that were the case then this forum would be absolutely clogged with complaints.

• 12. Re: Removing Xvidly
                                Community Member

Don't download any software from the link provided in post #8.  It is a classic example of extortion using modern technology.  You won't be able to remove anything until you buy the software from those people in that link.  There is no gurantee their software will work.

If you don't know how to remove viruses from your machine then go and find a geek on your high street who will do it for you for a fee.  Also make sure the system is fully protected using good Anti-virus program like Microsoft Security Essential (for windows up to 7) or Windows Defender (For windows 8).  This is a free download provided courtesy of Steve Ballmer.

Adobe Hacker here.

• 13. Re: Removing Xvidly
                                  Mike M Community Member

For the record... IMHO...Microshaft (in)security essentials is absolute POO (for lack of a more polite descriptive).
                                  It's what my brother was using for his Internet security/antivirus and it let in the FBI virus, resulting in a COMPLETE reformat last month.
                                  TrendMicro or AVG are both better than McAfee or Norton (Symantec), because you can disable either of them temporarily if need be. Also McAfee is a nightmare to remove if you ever have to. It's worse than the viruses it's supposed to protect you from.

• 14. Re: Removing Xvidly

Your to late, I found that out the hard way. I am getting the impression their in cahoots with each other. First they write the crap they since they wrote the code they know how to remove it, for a price of couse!

• 15. Re: Removing Xvidly

I only make that statement because using the browser prior to the download there never was the issue.

Thanks for any help...

• 16. Re: Removing Xvidly

Defiantly, I any always paranoid when it comes to protecting the machines I have. I’ve had some small problems in the past, but nothing like the one now.

• 17. Re: Removing Xvidly
                                          Nancy O. MVP

I only make that statement because using the browser prior to the download there never was the issue.

Coincidence.  Just because the browser wasn't misbehaving up to that point doesn't mean you weren't already infected.   Often, it takes several days for malware to take hold of your system.

Nancy O.

• 18. Re: Removing Xvidly

True. I am just very frustrated after the installation.

• 19. Re: Removing Xvidly
                                              bregent MVP

>I only make that statement because using the browser prior to the download there never was the issue.

RB - malware oftens sits idly for a while before it becomes noticeably active. This is a scheme to make it harder to detect where/when it originated.

• 20. Re: Removing Xvidly

The computer was only a week old, mainly setup for developing 3D graphics using Animation Master (AM). The only online stuff was for updates. Then it was shut down. The other machines I have seem to be Ok and they are on the network all the time.

• 21. Re: Removing Xvidly
                                                  Mike M Community Member

rbjohns49 wrote:

The computer was only a week old, mainly setup for developing 3D graphics using Animation Master (AM). The only online stuff was for updates. Then it was shut down. The other machines I have seem to be Ok and they are on the network all the time.

It's a common myth that viruses will "infect" a computer just because it's connected.  99% of all "infections" occur as a result of a user action online. Be it a click on something or opening an email or a page that has code to execute a file when it is "hit" by the browser. The rest are the result of hacking.

Then, as bregent pointed out, a lot of the time, you won't know you're infected for hours, days or even weeks, and then suddenly.... BAM!

Anti-virus and a strong firewall are your best defense, and DON'T (whatever you do) trust Microsoft for security. Remember, XP is nearly thirteen years old and they're STILL writing security patches for it to plug stuff they've missed after all this time. How good could their "protection" be if they can't even build a secure OS to begin with?

• 22. Re: Removing Xvidly

Yep, I know...

• 23. Re: Removing Xvidly
                                                      alexhusty Community Member

@rbjohns49,

Xvidly is a stubborn adware, removing or uninstalling it through conventional methods would give out no results at all. I think you might have tried the control Panel as well to uninstall the program out of computer system. If no, try it now. If yes, and still that adware is bugged in, then you can use automatic removal tool to remove it.

You can take a reference over here; http://blog.spyhunter.us.com/delete-xvidly-complete-removal-guidelines-of-xvidly-completel y-from-the-pc

• 24. Re: Removing Xvidly

I use SpyHunter. It did not remove it from the system in it’s entirety. Best case was in safe mode. Even after removing the Registry’s entry located at Microsoft’s explore start page, it would automatically reappear. The only way the removal was completed was to reparation Windows 7 100 megabyte area on the hard drive, and start over from scratch.

• 25. Re: Removing Xvidly
                                                          piyush1414 Community Member

Try this. http://www.uninstallvirus-spyware.com

Follow the steps mentioned on the website. Download the software, full scan your system, if you find the infected name in the scan result then go for the full version.

thanks