24 Replies Latest reply on Oct 19, 2007 2:06 PM by Newsgroup_User

changing eye colour using fireworks

Richard_Gent Level 1
      I'm looking for a tutorial, preferably a video / flash tutorial that explains how to change a person's eye colour using fireworks.

Anyone know where I can find one on the web?

Many thanks in advance. Kr, Richard
        • 1. Re: changing eye colour using fireworks
          Richard_Gent Level 1
          In fact... I'm a teacher and looking for a few other fireworks tutorials too.

If you know where I can find tutorials that explain how to whiten teeth and remove blemishes - in addition to the one on changing a person's eye colour using fireworks, I'd be very grateful.

Many thanks - once again.
          • 2. Re: changing eye colour using fireworks
            Level 7
            Richard Gent wrote:
            > I'm looking for a tutorial, preferably a video / flash tutorial that explains
            > how to change a person's eye colour using fireworks.

This doesn't answer your tutorial question, but it's really simple to do.

. Open the bitmap image of the face in FW
            . zoom in so that the eye is large.
            . Select the Oval Marquee too from the Bitmap area of the tools panel
            (it may be beneath the (square) Marquee tool).
            . Drag out a circle (hold shift key down to keep it circular) the same
            size as the eye (you can tweak the size of the circle in the Property
            Inspector)
            . drag the selected area with the mouse over top of the eye.

You want in the end to have selected just the iris.

If part of the iris is hidden (eg behind the eyelid), delete part of the
            selected circle:
            . Use the Lasso tool with the Alt key held down and cut away the area of
            the circle that's over the eyelid (for example).

Then use the Hue/Saturation controls to change the eye to a color you
            like: from the menu bar: Filters > Adjust Color > Hue/Saturation.

There are many other ways to do this such as masks, but this is simple
            and effective.

DN
            • 3. Re: changing eye colour using fireworks
              heathrowe Most Valuable Participant
              Nice one David
              As for the red eye removal, as well, there is a simple Red Eye Removal Tool you can utilize - under the Rubber Stamp Tool.

h
              • 4. Re: changing eye colour using fireworks
                Richard_Gent Level 1
                Hi David and Heathrowe - I'm so impressed; your responses were really useful and so immediate. Thank you both.

I know my Media Studies students will really respond if I turn your excellent instructions into a video tutorial. Do you have any advice to help me in terms of good 'making video tutorial' applications?

Kind regards, Richard
                • 5. Re: changing eye colour using fireworks
                  Level 7
                  Richard Gent wrote:
                  > Hi David and Heathrowe - I'm so impressed; your responses were really useful
                  > and so immediate. Thank you both.
                  >
                  > I know my Media Studies students will really respond if I turn your excellent
                  > instructions into a video tutorial. Do you have any advice to help me in terms
                  > of good 'making video tutorial' applications?
                  >
                  > Kind regards, Richard

Richard,

There are a number of applications you can use. Camtasia Studio is one:
                  http://www.techsmith.com/camtasia.asp If Linda R. is around later she
                  may provide better advice than I can, as she has made several such videos.

DN
                  • 6. Re: changing eye colour using fireworks
                    Richard_Gent Level 1
                    Camtasia looks awesome. It would be nice to have a recommendation for a Mac app and a PC app as I use both. i think Camtasia only works with PCs. Might be pretty expensive to duplicate all my software!

Kind regards, Richard
                    • 7. Re: changing eye colour using fireworks
                      Richard_Gent Level 1
                      How does Camtasia compare with say Adobe's Captivate?
                      • 8. Re: changing eye colour using fireworks
                        Level 7
                        > How does Camtasia compare with say Adobe's Captivate?

Enter "camtasia vs captivate" (without the quotes) into Google and you'll
                        get plenty of articles comparing them:

http://www.streamingmedia.com/article.asp?id=9393

http://www.webbriefcase.com.au/2006-11/screencasting-tools-camtasia-studio-vs-adobe-captiv ate/

Just take note of which versions are being compared.

Some comments about them in some reviews may no longer be relevant if
                        features have been introduced or enhanced since the review was posted.

Camtasia is currently version 5 (US$299 full)

Captivate is currently version 3 (US$699 full)

--
                        Regards

John Waller

• 9. Re: changing eye colour using fireworks
                          Level 7
                          Richard Gent wrote:
                          > Hi David and Heathrowe - I'm so impressed; your responses were really useful
                          > and so immediate. Thank you both.
                          >
                          > I know my Media Studies students will really respond if I turn your excellent
                          > instructions into a video tutorial. Do you have any advice to help me in terms
                          > of good 'making video tutorial' applications?

IMHO, good video tutorials are rare. I learn best when I have a book or
                          tutorial I've printed out sitting next to me on my desk instead of
                          watching the instructor in the movie and forgetting half of what was
                          taught before I try to apply it. The very act of disengaging from the
                          movie to repeat the work on your own causes a shift in the part of the
                          brain you are using, and can create confusion. There are exceptions,
                          however.

The exceptions are interactive video tutorials where you appear to be
                          actually working in the movie software interface, and you are prompted
                          to reproduce the instructor's actions immediately following his own. The
                          successful repetition of the instructor's actions are then followed by
                          positive audio and visual feedback. Those types of lessons can be even
                          more powerful when the tutorial is ended with a Q&A session. They are
                          difficult to do well. IMHO, the best tool for those types of tutorials
                          is Adobe Captivate.

--
                          Linda Rathgeber [PVII] *Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks*
                          --------------------------------------------------------------
                          http://www.projectseven.com
                          Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
                          CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
                          http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/
                          • 10. Re: changing eye colour using fireworks
                            Richard_Gent Level 1
                            1. Thanks John. That’s a big price difference – especially when I liked the look of Camtasia, first time around.

Where can I find something equally good for a Mac though? I need to use this demo software on a PC and Mac for my work.

Further sage words would be much appreciated. Kr, Richard

2. FAO Linda - Could you email me? I need some 1-2-1 advice on this. You seem to be really knowledegable and I'm keen not to produce a series of 'good video tutorials'. I have a large number of teachers that rely on me to produce good stuff and I don't want to let them down. Thanks for your very useful comments.

Perhaps you could refer me to some online apps that you feel are good example of tutorials I can use as a model?

Interestingly, I currently use Articulate's suite of applications. Do you know how comparable captivate is with Articulate?

Kind regards, Richard

[e] richardgent@mac.com
                            • 11. Re: changing eye colour using fireworks
                              Richard_Gent Level 1
                              Just followed your instructions David - really pleased with myself! I know it's a simple thing but if you've never done it before it feels good. Thanks.

However, how do I create an eye color change that doesn't affect the pupil colour (very centre of the eye)?

Many thanks, Richard
                              • 12. Re: changing eye colour using fireworks
                                Level 7
                                Richard Gent wrote:

> Perhaps you could refer me to some online apps that you feel are good example
                                > of tutorials I can use as a model?

Here's a brief example. I've seen better ones, but don't remember now
                                where I've seen them. :-)

http://www.adobe.com/products/captivate/productinfo/product-demos/simulation-software/

> Interestingly, I currently use Articulate's suite of applications. Do you know
                                > how comparable captivate is with Articulate?

I'm sorry, but I don't know anything about Articulate.

--
                                • 13. Re: changing eye colour using fireworks
                                  Level 7
                                  Richard Gent wrote:
                                  > Just followed your instructions David - really pleased with myself! I know it's
                                  > a simple thing but if you've never done it before it feels good. Thanks.
                                  >
                                  > However, how do I create an eye color change that doesn't affect the pupil
                                  > colour (very centre of the eye)?

One way would be to zoom in and draw a vector circle over the pupil.
                                  -Once that's done, draw a circle around the iris.
                                  -Move the iris object below the pupil object in the Layers panel.
                                  -Press shift and select both, and then choose Modify > Combine Paths >
                                  Punch.
                                  -Once you have finished that, choose Modify > Path > Convert to selection.

Now you will be able to use the hue/saturation filter on the iris to
                                  change its color without changing the color of the pupil.

Some other ways of changing eye color are to use the bitmap brush tool,
                                  with the color of your choice, and the Hue blend mode, to carefully
                                  paint over the Iris while avoiding the Pupil.

Yet another, and non destructive method, would be to use the doughnut
                                  shape I described the creation of earlier as a vector rather than
                                  converting it to a path, add a color to it, and apply the Hue blend mode
                                  to it.

--
                                  • 14. Re: changing eye colour using fireworks
                                    Level 7
                                    Richard Gent wrote:
                                    > Just followed your instructions David - really pleased with myself! I know it's
                                    > a simple thing but if you've never done it before it feels good. Thanks.
                                    >
                                    > However, how do I create an eye color change that doesn't affect the pupil
                                    > colour (very centre of the eye)?
                                    >
                                    > Many thanks, Richard
                                    >

Linda's idea about using two vector circles, one punched through the
                                    other, and converted to a selection, is good.

A quicker way might be to follow my method, then using the Oval Marquee
                                    with the Alt key held down, locate the cursor near the centre of the
                                    selected iris and cut out the centre "hole". ie just use selection
                                    tools. If you get the "hole" location wrong, use control-Z to undo and
                                    start again.

If the pupil is just black with a white reflection, using the Hue
                                    control by itself should not affect blacks or whites.

DN
                                    • 15. Re: changing eye colour using fireworks
                                      Richard_Gent Level 1
                                      Thanks for that David – I like simple. Kind regards, Richard
                                      • 16. Re: changing eye colour using fireworks
                                        Level 7
                                        Richard Gent wrote:
                                        > Thanks for that David ? I like simple. Kind regards, Richard

Richard,

Apart from solving a problem - changing eye colour - this whole thing
                                        also teaches skills is using the various selection tools and how to
                                        remove stuff from an existing selection. Quite a useful exercise.

DN
                                        • 17. Re: changing eye colour using fireworks
                                          Richard_Gent Level 1
                                          Very true. Now then, can I use the same techniques to whiten teeth and remove / retouch blemishes?

Kind regards, Richard
                                          • 18. Re: changing eye colour using fireworks
                                            Level 7
                                            Richard Gent wrote:
                                            > I'm looking for a tutorial, preferably a video / flash tutorial that explains
                                            > how to change a person's eye colour using fireworks.
                                            >
                                            > Anyone know where I can find one on the web?
                                            >
                                            > Many thanks in advance. Kr, Richard
                                            >

Here's a tut which I kinda followed.....

http://www.sxc.hu/blog/post/623

My results are here - if you want just "save as" to get an unflattened
                                            editable fireworks png. You could play with the visibilty of each object
                                            in the layers panel to see how it works.....

http://www.bijouwebsites.co.uk/eyw2.png

and..

http://www.bijouwebsites.co.uk/eyecolourised.png

You might also be interested in taking a look at this for your screen
                                            recorded 'video' demos.....

http://www.bbsoftware.co.uk/

HTH

--
                                            chin chin
                                            Sinclair
                                            • 19. Re: changing eye colour using fireworks
                                              Richard_Gent Level 1
                                              Nice screenshot tutorial - thanks Sinclair.
                                              • 20. Re: changing eye colour using fireworks
                                                Level 7
                                                Richard Gent wrote:
                                                > Very true. Now then, can I use the same techniques to whiten teeth and remove / retouch blemishes?
                                                >
                                                > Kind regards, Richard

Richard,

The teeth colouring would probably best be done by selecting the teeth
                                                using the Magic Wand tool (to select all of the white ares) You can
                                                deselect unwanted parts using the Lasso tool with the Alt key as before.

The controls to experiment with for the Magic Wand tool are the
                                                Tolerance (keep low but not zero) and the Edge - Anti-alias is usually
                                                OK but you could try a Feather of say 5 pixels.

Then use the Hue/Saturation control - in this case the saturation - to
                                                desaturate the colour a lot - to bring the teeth back to near white.

The best way to handle blemishes in FW MX2004 is to use the Rubber Stamp
                                                tool to copy a nearby piece of image over top of the blemish. The
                                                adjustment you need to think about is the Rubber Stamp tool size.
                                                Should be just a little bigger than the size of the blemish. The Rubber
                                                Stamp tool is one of the most useful tools in any photo processing
                                                software. Photoshop has a healing tool also, but the Rubber Stamp tool
                                                works just as well.

DN
                                                • 21. Re: changing eye colour using fireworks
                                                  Richard_Gent Level 1
                                                  Great tips - thanks David. I'm pretty sure I can now do the blemish removal. I'll experiment with the tools you recommended for the teeth whitening.

Thanks again for your time and very clear instructions. Kind regards, Richard
                                                  • 22. Re: changing eye colour using fireworks
                                                    Level 7
                                                    If I recall correctly the whole theme (video - interactive - text based
                                                    input) is called blended learning (here in the UK that is).

For video input I find a dual monitor or large, say 30" monitor, quite
                                                    effective as it allows one to follow step by step. While following
                                                    steps shows some of the practical things ideally it should also be part
                                                    of a blended approach (theory + practice + reasoning)

Linda Rathgeber wrote:
                                                    > Richard Gent wrote:
                                                    >> Hi David and Heathrowe - I'm so impressed; your responses were really
                                                    >> useful and so immediate. Thank you both.
                                                    >>
                                                    >> I know my Media Studies students will really respond if I turn your
                                                    >> excellent instructions into a video tutorial. Do you have any advice
                                                    >> to help me in terms of good 'making video tutorial' applications?
                                                    >
                                                    > IMHO, good video tutorials are rare. I learn best when I have a book or
                                                    > tutorial I've printed out sitting next to me on my desk instead of
                                                    > watching the instructor in the movie and forgetting half of what was
                                                    > taught before I try to apply it. The very act of disengaging from the
                                                    > movie to repeat the work on your own causes a shift in the part of the
                                                    > brain you are using, and can create confusion. There are exceptions,
                                                    > however.
                                                    >
                                                    > The exceptions are interactive video tutorials where you appear to be
                                                    > actually working in the movie software interface, and you are prompted
                                                    > to reproduce the instructor's actions immediately following his own. The
                                                    > successful repetition of the instructor's actions are then followed by
                                                    > positive audio and visual feedback. Those types of lessons can be even
                                                    > more powerful when the tutorial is ended with a Q&A session. They are
                                                    > difficult to do well. IMHO, the best tool for those types of tutorials
                                                    > is Adobe Captivate.
                                                    >
                                                    • 23. Re: changing eye colour using fireworks
                                                      Level 7
                                                      deebs wrote:
                                                      > If I recall correctly the whole theme (video - interactive - text based
                                                      > input) is called blended learning (here in the UK that is).
                                                      >
                                                      > For video input I find a dual monitor or large, say 30" monitor, quite
                                                      > effective as it allows one to follow step by step. While following
                                                      > steps shows some of the practical things ideally it should also be part
                                                      > of a blended approach (theory + practice + reasoning)

The problem is that most of the viewers will not have access to a dual
                                                      monitor setup. Even with the dual monitor setup, it's necessary for the
                                                      movie to include stop and start, plus forward and backward buttons so
                                                      you can easily pause, repeat or skip forward from section to section.

--
                                                      • 24. Re: changing eye colour using fireworks
                                                        Level 7
                                                        True, true.

I, too, like a print out of whatever is being taught.

Linda Rathgeber wrote:
                                                        > deebs wrote:
                                                        >> If I recall correctly the whole theme (video - interactive - text
                                                        >> based input) is called blended learning (here in the UK that is).
                                                        >>
                                                        >> For video input I find a dual monitor or large, say 30" monitor, quite
                                                        >> effective as it allows one to follow step by step. While following
                                                        >> steps shows some of the practical things ideally it should also be
                                                        >> part of a blended approach (theory + practice + reasoning)
                                                        >
                                                        > The problem is that most of the viewers will not have access to a dual
                                                        > monitor setup. Even with the dual monitor setup, it's necessary for the
                                                        > movie to include stop and start, plus forward and backward buttons so
                                                        > you can easily pause, repeat or skip forward from section to section.
                                                        >
                                                        >