19 Replies Latest reply on Jun 17, 2013 4:30 PM by Cindyg22

Choppy Video

Cindyg22 Level 1

I have video shot with an iPhone 5.  When I load it into Premiere Elements, it is so choppy I can't edit it. 

This video is not choppy when viewed on my iPhone.  I can load it into Windows Live Movie Maker, and it's not choppy.  I have tried rebooting, closing extraneous programs, and clicking Render.  None of these help.

Can you help me? 

• 1. Re: Choppy Video
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You don't say which version of the program you're using or what your project settings are, but only version 11 is capable of working well with iPhone video.

If your iPhone video is the first video on your version 11 timeline, the program should automatically set up your project for you. What are the project settings listed under your Edit menu?

It's also possible your computer is not powerful enough to edit this type of video in Premiere Elements. How fast is your processor, how much RAM do you have and what operating system are you using?

• 2. Re: Choppy Video
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Cindyg22

The answers to SG's questions will go a long way to resolving your issue. But, I would ask

a. What are the properties of that iPhone 5 video? I read that the iPhone offers 1080p video at frame rate up to 30 frames per second. But actual frame rate can vary, often due to the lighting conditions. So, do you know the actual frame rate of the video that you recorded using the iPhone 5? If you do not know, you could right click the thumbnail of the video in your project Media and select Properties to see what that shows. You can also get video property readout from a free program such as MediaInfo

http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en

b. The project settings are important. So, please let us know what you set for the project preset (or the program set if Premiere Elements 11). If you do not know, please get the information, as SG suggests, from Edit Menu/Project Settings/General...we are particularly interested in Editing Mode, Timebase, and Frame Size.

c. When you drag the clip to the Timeline as the first clip to the Timeline, is there a red or orange line over its Timeline content?

What is the duration of this iPhone video clip? Is the viewing of that (as rendered video) choppy even if it is the only clip in the project when you view it in the Edit Mode Monitor?

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: Choppy Video
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Iphone won't edit easily because it uses a variable frame rate

- A fix in message #22 http://forums.adobe.com/thread/934466

• 4. Re: Choppy Video
                Cindyg22 Level 1

Thanks, guys.

I am using Premiere Elements 11.  The iPhone 5 video is the first (only) video on the timeline. 

My processor has an Windows Experience Index Rating of 7.1  The computer has 4 gb of RAM.  The operating system is 64 bit.  I'm running Windows 7.

The videos are large.  But I had no trouble editing these same large videos on this same computer using Windows Live Movie Maker.  I am attempting to switch to Premiere Elemements for the additional features; but, so far, I have finding it more troublesome.  (I have more questions after we resolve this one.) 

BTW, Steve, I went through your video tutorial to learn P.E. 

ATR:  The image size is 1920 x 1080.  The frame rate is 30.  The source audio format is 44100 HZ 16 bit mono.  The project audio format is 44100 HZ 32 bit floating point mono.  The average data rate is 2.1 MB per second.  The pixel aspect ratio is 1.0.  (Sorry, I don't know what in here is relevent to my question.)

The Editing Mode is HD 1080i.  The timebase is 29.97 frames/second.  The frame size is 1920 x 1080. 

When I drag a clip to the timeline, I don't see either a red or an orange line in either Quick or Expert mode.

This particular clip is 12 minutes.  But there are about 45 minutes worth of clips on the timeline.  Typically, I just leave the camera running, get a lot of raw footage, and then clip it down to 3 or 4 minutes.  Again, I have no trouble doing this (on this computer, and with the same iPhone) in Windows Live Movie Maker.

Is it choppy if it's the only clip on the timeline?  I created a new project and added the same 12 minute clip.  Yes, it's choppy.  I clicked Render.  Sometimes there is a pause as Render processes, sometimes not (which makes me not sure if Render is actually rendering).  This time there was no pause.  It simply restarted the playback.  The playback was not choppy.  However, if I move the playback point (CTI?) forward to the 2 minute mark, it is choppy there.  In fiddling with it just now, pausing (spacebar) seems to affect the choppiness.  Sometimes after pausing, it begins again smoothly; sometimes not.

John, I haven't tried what you suggested yet.  Let me see if these answers help you help me; then if you think that's what I need to do, I'll try it.

Thanks again.

• 5. Re: Choppy Video

I don't have/edit iphone video, so I do not KNOW if your video has a variable frame rate

Use http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en or http://www.headbands.com/gspot/ to view your video's properties to find out if it has a variable frame rate

• 6. Re: Choppy Video
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Cindyg22

Based on the video specifications* of your iPhone 5, your video would be expected to be captured with a variable frame rate since the specs say "up to 30 frames per second". In that situation, the actual frame rate may be a rate less than 30. From the iPhone 5 specifications your video is

1920 x 1080 16:9 @ 30 progressive frames per second.

If that is so, your Premiere Elements project preset should be:

NTSC DSLR 1080p DSLR 1080p30

Either the program or you (manualy) should be setting that as above. Check Edit Menu/Project Settings/General to verify that is the case.

Putting that aside for the moment, I would like you to try this mini test.

Take one of your iPhone 5 video that has been presenting with the following into a Premiere Elements 11 NTSC DSLR 1080p DSLR 1080p30 project. Is the playback choppy? If so, please continue.

Assuming

(a) no colored line or even with a green line over its content...in either state, that is the program telling you that you have the best possible preview for what you are seeing in the Edit Mode Monitor...in that state, the video cannot be rendered since rendering is for getting the best preview and the program is satisfied that you are getting the best preview as per its no colored line/green indicator system.

(b) Right click the video on the Timeline. Select Time Stretch. In the Time Stretch dialog, set the Speed % = 99. We are doing that to force an orange line with all its implications.

Go back to the Timeline and render that Timeline content. Is the playback now smooth or smoother than before?

We will be watching for your results.

Thanks.

ATR

*http://www.apple.com/iphone/specs.html

• 7. Re: Choppy Video
                      Cindyg22 Level 1

<<If that is so, your Premiere Elements project preset should be:

NTSC DSLR 1080p DSLR 1080p30>>

ATR,

I do not see those numbers.  Can you tell me specifically where they should be?  This is my General Project Settings window:

I did not see temp.png

• 8. Re: Choppy Video
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Cindyg22

Thanks for the screenshot. It was very helpful.

That Edit Menu/Preferences/General Project Setting dialog tells me that the program is giving its default setting which would be

NTSC

AVCHD

Full

HD1080i30

which would be 1920 x 1080 16:9 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second.

But from what I have read and you have said, that does not represent your iPhone 5 video which is

1920 x 1080 16:9 @ 30 progressive frames per second

If that is true, then the correct project preset for your video clip would be

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30

This may or may not be at the core of your issue, but it should be corrected so that we can rule in or out this factor using the correct setting.

So what to do?

Go immediately to the File Menu/New/Project

and in the New Project dialog set the project preset for

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30

Before exiting that dialog, make sure you have a check mark next to Force Selected Project Settings on ths Project.

Then import your video clip via the program's Add Media. From the Project Assets, drag the clip to the Timeline.

At this point, we want to know

a. What is over the clip on the Timeline...no colored line, orange line, green line?

b. If no colored line or green line, is the play back of that video in the Edit Mode Monitor choppy?

c. If there was an orange line to begin with, what did the play back of the video look like after it was rendered by pressing the Render Button above the Timeline or the Enter Key of the computer main keyboard?

We will be watching for further developments.

Thanks.

ATR

• 9. Re: Choppy Video
                          Cindyg22 Level 1

Hey, ATR, guess what?  THAT WORKED!!  It plays back smoothly.

Can I save those as default settings?  If so, how?

Now, you asked about the line above (or over?) the timeline.  Here's how it looks in Quick Mode.

temp.png

And here's how it looks in Expert Mode:

Capture.PNG

I don't see a line.

I didn't render it as it is playing back smoothly.

Are we done?  (I have more questions for another thread.)  If so, tell me if I can set these settings as defaults.

• 10. Re: Choppy Video
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Cindyg22

That was great, great news of "THAT WORKED!!"

I just want to make sure what was the key. Was it the project settings by themselves or the project settings in combination with a prior suggested "try this"

(a) no colored line or even with a green line over its content...in either state, that is the program telling you that you have the best possible preview for what you are seeing in the Edit Mode Monitor...in that state, the video cannot be rendered since rendering is for getting the best preview and the program is satisfied that you are getting the best preview as per its no colored line/green indicator system.

(b) Right click the video on the Timeline. Select Time Stretch. In the Time Stretch dialog, set the Speed % = 99. We are doing that to force an orange line with all its implications.

Go back to the Timeline and render that Timeline content. Is the playback now smooth or smoother than before?

As for project settings, every new project  has the default of 1080i until you drag the first  clip to the Timeline. At that point, the program is supposed to set automatically the a project preset appropriate for your video properties. I have found, if the program has a problem doing that, it will stay with its default of 1080i. That is when you need to set the project preset yourself via File Menu/New/Project as mentioned in prior post. I see no way to save these settings.

In the screenshot that you posted, there is no colored line over your Timeline content, so you are getting the best possible preview. With the no colored line situation, you will not be able to Render the Timeline content. You will just get the play back of the video since the function of this type of rendering is to get the best possible preview and you already have it.

Please let us know if you are OK with the details presented and do not hesitate to ask for clarification on anything that I have written.

Congratulations on you success. Keep up the good work.

Thanks.

ATR

• 11. Re: Choppy Video
                              Cindyg22 Level 1

Well let me ask you this:

Is there any way to change (or even check) these settings after you have created the project?  Or are they only accessible through the New Project menu?

What I start the project with the correct settings, and it runs smoothly at first, but then it starts hanging up?  Is there anything else I can do at that point?  -- because I think that's what's happening right now. 

I really appreciate your help. 

• 12. Re: Choppy Video
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Cindyg22

Once the project preset has been set (either by the program automatically or you manually), you can verify the setting by going to Edit Menu/Project Settings/General. Most of the key information there to interpret is

Editing Mode

Timebase

Frame Rate

Until you have established a workflow that is giving you good results, I would take the project setting out of the hands of the program and set the project preset manually. You do that by opening your new project

a. immediately going to File Menu/New/Project where you set the project preset to match the properties of your source media, making sure that you have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on this Project" before you exit there.

c. then import your source media into the project with Add Media.

d. from Project Assets drag your first video file that represents your selected project settings to the Timeline.

I have recently written a blog post on "PE11: Accuracy of Automatic Project Preset (New Project Dialog) Setting" If you have time to read it, it can be found

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/04/pe11-accuracy-of-automatic-project.html

If you are certain that the project preset is set correctly, then we can look at those hang ups that you are seeing in terms of computer resources and a maintenance program to keep a constant watch for pile ups of preview files and conformed video and audio files. I have found those types of files to be troublesome even when I think that I have "plenty available RAM" and "free hard drive space". I use the free ccleaner computer optimizing program to help me with regular cleaning and when indicated registry cleaning. No horror stories yet with that program, and I have used it for a few years now.

Also, watch out for thin black vertical lines scattered about the track contents. Typically these represent fragments of files. Expand the Timeline with the -+ slider above the Timeline to try to search for them. Watch out for spacing on menu markers, placement of transitions, and choice of effects.

Please review and then let us know if you need clarification on anything that I have written.

Thanks.

ATR

• 13. Re: Choppy Video
                                  Cindyg22 Level 1

<<If you are certain that the project preset is set correctly>>

The only way I have to know whether the project settings are set correctly is because of what you said on this thread.  In other words, I'm taking your word for it. 

If this forum weren't available, where else could I have found that information?

• 14. Re: Choppy Video
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Cindyg22

You wrote

If you are certain that the project preset is set correctly

My suggestions were all based on information that you supplied in this thread  and generally accepted principles of Premiere Elements workflow. From what you wrote (post #9), we have gotten through one workflow issue choppy video and together we seem to have resolved that matter.

I am not sure how you interpreted what I wrote as quoted above. That was meant to say that once assured that the project settings were appropriate for your source video, then you could put that factor behind you if further troubleshooting was needed. And, appropriate project settings = the classical project preset should match the properties of the source media. Premiere Elements 11 brings a new wrinkle to this with it taking over that task, sometimes fine, sometimes not so fine.

Did you have time to check out any of the suggestions for minimizing or getting rid of those workflow hang ups? If they persist, we may have to focus more on the computer resources and the size of the project and what is happening in the workflow when the hang ups occur.

Looking forward to learning of your progress.

Thanks for the opportunity to help.

ATR

• 15. Re: Choppy Video
                                      Cindyg22 Level 1

No, no.  I didn't mean to question your information!  Sorry!  I meant -- if I change cameras or phones, where would I find that information so that I could figure it out for myself?  I *have* the numbers you gave me, and in time I'll memorize them; but I don't really understand them to adapt them to another situation.  That's all I meant.  I appreciate your help, and I do have a lot more questions, which I'll post one by one. 

• 16. Re: Choppy Video
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Cindyg22

We will be watching for your progress.

Great idea for a write up on principles for how best to select a project preset (if the user changes cameras and if Premiere Elements 11 forces us to do it.)

Thanks again for the follow up. Much appreciated.

ATR

• 17. Re: Choppy Video
                                          Cindyg22 Level 1

Update:  I have been struggling with this since May 23.  ATR helped me offline quite a bit.

I've spent perhaps 10 hours in Adobe's chat support -- which is a terrific resource.

Bottom line:  Adobe told me just now that there is a known problem with video from the iPhone 5. 

Good news:  I won't invest any more time struggling with this to no avail.

More good news:  I'm not an idiot!  It wasn't user error.

Bad news:  I've been struggling with this since May 23.

Thank you so much for your help.  I'll be back when Adobe resolves this.

• 18. Re: Choppy Video

>back when Adobe resolves this

Adobe VERY seldom issues updates for Premiere Elements... so you are most likely going to have to wait for version 12

All Adobe updates start here and select product, read to see if you need to install updates in number order, or if the updates are cumulative for the individual product http://www.adobe.com/downloads/updates/

DO send a report at https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform telling Adobe their bug is a problem you need fixed

• 19. Re: Choppy Video
                                              Cindyg22 Level 1

John,

I went to the bug report page you linked above.  I saw no where to list the problem on that page.  Will you go look at the page and see if something is wrong with it.

Cindy