4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 7, 2013 2:17 AM by Yammer

best hardware to faster camera raw ?

kujyshop

i read some discution, more as 4 core is not usefull.. but witch motherboard ? memory ?

with a CR2 from canon mark 2, it's possible to developpe in camera raw, load in photoshop, and save in 2 second ?

thank for yout help

• 1. Re: best hardware to faster camera raw ?
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'm afraid that's a question that a lot of people would like to have an answer to.  I purchased a very basic i5 computer from HP, Windows 7, 8 GB of ram, integrated video.  Basically it is an "off the shelf" computer.  Photoshop/ACR performs very nicely on it.  Of course, I'm only using 12 MP files.  So I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

• 2. Re: best hardware to faster camera raw ?
            Yammer Level 4

kujyshop wrote:

i read some discution, more as 4 core is not usefull.. but witch motherboard ? memory ?

with a CR2 from canon mark 2, it's possible to developpe in camera raw, load in photoshop, and save in 2 second ?

I have just experimented with a 36MP D800 file, enabling noise reduction, lens/fringe corrections, camera profile emulations, perspective/barrell corrections, effects, etc. I'm on ACR 7.2 CS6 64b for Windows with 3 out of 16GB RAM, and Camera Raw used all 8 virtual CPUs of my i7, so I'm not sure where where you get the idea that 4 cores isn't useful.

My new computer is a beast. I thought I should aim high, after buying a 36MP camera. In fact, Camera Raw seems to process my D800 Raws faster than my D300 Raws. I'm not sure why that should be, and I haven't actually proven this scientifically, so, as the Americans like to say, go figure.

But this simple little experiment only shows what ACR is like under stress. As for what it's like to process a batch with simple basic settings, may be a different story.

If you are going to process many images in Camera Raw, and then save them in Photoshop after a very short time, I wonder why you are bothering? Camera Raw can save conversions as TIFF, JPEG and PSD, without transferring anything to Photoshop. I just processed a batch of 66 with an assortment of settings, and the PSDs appeared every 4–5 seconds.

So, I'd say that you probably need the fastest multi-threaded CPU and RAM combination possible for the best ACR performance.

Edit: many of the PSDs were around the 200MB mark, so there was probably quite a lot of disk activity too (which might explain the regular dips in CPU)—I never checked. Regardless, you will always have to save files, so it goes without saying that generating TIFFs/PSDs will need a fast disk.

• 3. Re: best hardware to faster camera raw ?
              kujyshop Level 1

Thank for your answer.

Yes, i process many images in Camera raw, with a .Jsx script. (cr2->jpg). I don't want manual intervention. It's possible to batch camera raw with a script ?

I try to buy a SSD..

• 4. Re: best hardware to faster camera raw ?
                Yammer Level 4

kujyshop wrote:

Yes, i process many images in Camera raw, with a .Jsx script. (cr2->jpg). I don't want manual intervention. It's possible to batch camera raw with a script ?

Actually, I just did the same batch again, this time creating 10MB JPEGs. It still took around the same time, so the hard disk speed isn't critical.

What I don't understand is why the CPU usage looks like a dinosaur's back. Maybe 30% of the time the CPU is doing nothing. You'd think it would run flat out until the batch was finished.

I have no idea what you mean regarding JSX scripts. That's above my understanding.