4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 7, 2013 8:28 AM by twmiller111

Why does placing plain text override font color from master?

twmiller111

I am placing a plain text (txt) file into a text area that has no character style and a specific paragraph style. When the text is placed, the text takes on the paragraph style with overriden font color and size. When you hover over the style it has a plus after the name of the style. I can clear the overrides, but I am trying to figure out why it is happening and how to prevent it. They are just simple txt files with no styles or formatting in the original document. I know that import filters for other types such as Word will maintain styles and potentially local formatting, but this file is just plain text. Anyone have an idea what is happening and how to prevent it when placing plain text files? Thanks.

• 1. Re: Why does placing plain text override font color from master?
          Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

1. Make sure that not text tool is active

2. Klick with Alt-key to the selcted style which should be the default style.

3. Klick with Alt-key on None in character style

Now you should be able to insert text with no unwanted style attributes.

You will never work without a paragraph style, so set up the paragraph style you want to use and select it when no text tool is active. Working without defined styles is a mess you end up in working with some advertly selected style with a lot of overrides.

• 2. Re: Why does placing plain text override font color from master?
            twmiller111 Level 1

Thanks for the response. I will have to check the defaults. I do use paragraph styles but not character styles (they are set to none). For the problem in question, the text is being placed in a text frame from the master that has an applied paragraph style (but none set as character style). And it does take on that style after it is placed, but it overrides the font color and size from the applied paragraph style in the master. So, it appears the import filter itself is doing it or some other weird thing is happening. It may be the default style for the document is imposing some of it styles to override the master's paragraph style. To remove the overrides, I just clear them after placement, but I don't want to have to keep doing that for every text frame that I am placing text into.

• 3. Re: Why does placing plain text override font color from master?
              Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

I see you get the formatting from an external source. But how can that be with a txt file? If it is not a txt file you should strip out any formatting upon import.

• 4. Re: Why does placing plain text override font color from master?
                twmiller111 Level 1

That is correct. It is a plain text (TXT) file, so there shouldn't be any formatting information. I could easily see this problem if I was importing/placing a Word or RTF document file. The import options for plain text doesn't have anything about removing formatting like the one for Word. So, the formatting must be coming from the InDesing document settings somewhere like the defaults that you suggested. Will update once I have tested that possibility. Thanks for the help.