12 Replies Latest reply on Jun 10, 2013 3:27 PM by Genevieve Laroche

Reset a form after each submit

ikatz002 Level 1

Hi,

Im using the form in an ipad on a public place. I want the form to reset its fields to blank after each time a person clicks on 'submit', so that it is ready for the next person to use.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

• 1. Re: Reset a form after each submit
          jcanepa Adobe Employee

You can set the Redirect URL setting and this will acheive what you are looking for.  With the form open for editing go to the Options tab.  Select the Redirect URL setting and click on the Reloadthe form (redirect to first page) radio button.  This will reload the page to page 1 of your form and all fields will be reset.

----

Jeff Canepa

Software Quality Engineer

Adobe Systems, Inc.

jcanepa@adobe.com

• 2. Re: Reset a form after each submit
            ikatz002 Level 1

Thanks Jeff,

I tried, however I am exporting as submission enabled PDF and when I did what you said it gave me the following error 'Some of the selected features are not available for PDF forms You have selected the following features for your form that will not be functional in the PDF form: - Redirect URL'

I tried it anywyas and it did not work.. Is there any way to get the behavior I am looking for on an actual PDF?

Thanks,

• 3. Re: Reset a form after each submit
              jcanepa Adobe Employee

Using a PDF no.  I have put in a feature request to the Mobile Acrobat team.  In the meantime I would suggest you make the form an html form.  In this way redirect is supported and your users can fill out the form using the browser on their device.

-Jeff Canepa

• 4. Re: Reset a form after each submit
                Genevieve Laroche Adobe Employee

Note that if you have Adobe Acrobat you could add a reset form button on the form but the filler would have to manually click on it after they submitted the form.

Gen

• 5. Re: Reset a form after each submit
                  ikatz002 Level 1

I do have Acrobat, and InDesign (cloud suite ). I was also investigating into the possibilities with ID.

With the formcentral forms there is a message that pops up after the form is submitted, which you must press ok to make it dissapear.

a) how dificult would it be to make that ok button push clear the form (custom script?)

b) would it be possible to replicate formscentral forms in ID? I notice there are many capabilities for buttons in ID (change state, etc.) as well as submit form, and was wandering if it would be possible with a combination of them to achieve the desired result. Im not really familiar with ID so just thinking out loud here.

--Isaac

• 6. Re: Reset a form after each submit

a) is not possible. The dialog is shown by Acrobat or Reader when it receives a success/fail status response from the server. You can't add any script to this dialog's button.

b) if you want to collect data via FormsCentral then creating your form uging ID won't give you anthing more. You could import the InDesign PDF in FormsCentral but FormsCentral always add its own submit button to the form (even if you originally have one on your form). You could add script to the FC submit button to clear the form BUT if the submission is not successful you will lose all the data in the form as the clear would happen before the status response is received... and on a failled submission you might just want to correct some data and try resubmitting (you don't want to have to refill the form).

The main issue right now is that Reader Mobile doesn't support the reset form action just yet. You could come up with something that could work on a Desktop but ont on Mobile. Sorry.

Gen

• 7. Re: Reset a form after each submit
                      ikatz002 Level 1

Thanks for the info. Seems like a catch-22 right now.

As an alternative - what are the options for collecting data doing the form in ID and using its functionality and bypassing FC altogether? Can an ID form still submit to an online database, send me the info by email, or something along those lines without needing to go through FC? Would I have the functionality I am looking for if I go that route?

Thanks again,

• 8. Re: Reset a form after each submit

Is there a reason why you can't use the HTML form to collect data (which support redirect) instead of the PDF?

Gen

• 9. Re: Reset a form after each submit
                          ikatz002 Level 1

Yes,  mainly because the pdf has embedded video and high rez photos so it must reside locally in the ipad and because the ipad will be in a public place I can't direct people away from the pdf to a website for them to submit information because I don't know any systemiI could rely on to bring the pdf back automatically for the next person.

In essence it must be a closed system within the ipad that allows people to view multimedia content and submit information if they so desire,  and ideally after each submit the system would reset to it'd initial state (for functionality and to protect the privacy of the last person that submitted)

Hope that gives a clear idea what I'm trying to accomplish. Again any help is much appreciated.

• 10. Re: Reset a form after each submit

If you want to submit data (using HTML or PDF FormsCentral forms) you need to be connected to the internet.

With PDF you can fill the form while offiline but even if there is a way to reset you PDF where will the data be submitted to if you are not connected? With FormsCentral, you can create a PDF that can be filled out offline but the way it works is that the PDF would need to be saved locally and then once the iPad is connected to the internet the form would need to be opened and the submit button pressed to send the data.

I'm not sure how to solve your workflow using FormsCentral to collect the data and using the PDF format.

Gen

• 11. Re: Reset a form after each submit
                              ikatz002 Level 1

Hey Gen,

The ipad will be online and able to submit information on the spot. The problem of driving them to an HTML form outside the PDF is that after the submit, what will be the experience of the next person that uses it? They will see a thank you page in the HTML submit instead of seeing the PDF doc.

The idea of having the form in the PDF itself is so you never have to leave the document and the next person that comes along (that has no idea whats in the ipad) will be able to see the content (even if they have to scroll back up). The purpose of the reset is to wipe out the information of the last user from the text field so the next user doesnt see it (both for functional and privacy reasons). It seems like it should be built in that after you submit the text fields are wiped out because why would you still want them in any possible scenario, but they arent, that is my only problem.

Thanks for your help and if you think of something do let me know,

• 12. Re: Reset a form after each submit

The HTML form has the ability to redirect after showing the thank you page to the same form with no data (i.e. the form is reset automatically on the 'redirect').

The behavior you want is built-in but only with the HTML form. Not the PDF form.

See this post : http://forums.adobe.com/thread/869660.

You will see this :

Redirect back to the first page of the form - Why would you ever want to do that?? If respondents are filling the form out in person (like an event registration) at a kiosk-like computer or tablet then this feature allows you to automatically redirect back to the beginning of the form (and it will be empty) so the next person in line can fill it out.

Hope this helps

Gen