7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 7, 2013 7:08 AM by Cozmicone

File sizing question? 42m that opens as 19m, don't know why.

MMBingham

I have a file that is supposedly 42m. As it appears in the folder. When I open it, it is only 19m on my "image size" box. I need this file in the higher resolution possible, as I need to print a large banner. But as for now all I have is a 19m file with only 150 resolution   and i don't know why? It is supposed to be a 42m file. Confused.

Thank you for any quick answers!

• 1. Re: File sizing question? 42m that opens as 19m, don't know why.
          Curt Y Level 7

File size is confusing and sometimes means little.  What is the height and width size of the image in pixels?

What should it be and what is it opening at?

Has image been opened in iPhoto?

• 2. Re: File sizing question? 42m that opens as 19m, don't know why.
            MMBingham Level 1

Hi! Thanks for your response. The image hasn't been opened in Iphoto; and the size and res that it opens at is 19m on a 24"x13" at 150dpi. I just did a couple of things to it: I deleted a smart vector layer that was under it - the image came from a previous designer. I don't know why the layer was there. Then I changed it from RGB to CMYK since it will be used for print. Then I changed the image mode from 8bits/chanel to 16 bits/chanel. Somehow now the size is 52m. Still at 150dpi but I will be able to change it to 300 without loosing the resolution when I reduce the dimensions, I guess?

• 3. Re: File sizing question? 42m that opens as 19m, don't know why.
              MMBingham Level 1

Hi there, I got confused again

Now the file is 52m but the size is still 24"x13" at 150dpi. I need to blow it up in size but the resolution is already small; however the file size is large? Is it possible to find some sort of trick/shortcut to blow it up without loosing resolution? Could it be involving some hidden compression that I'm unaware of?

Thanks!!!!

• 4. Re: File sizing question? 42m that opens as 19m, don't know why.
                charles badland Level 4

It is confusing. And Adobe makes it more confusion by how they display this information and the terms they use.

The file size in the Image size dialog is based solely on the number of pixels that make up the image (and their Color Mode and bit depth). The Image Size dialog does info does not take into account layers, alpha channels, masks, metadata, etc. Nor the compression from how the file was saved.

Compression is only seen in a closed file. Once the file is open, it jumps up to a different size.

So you have at least 3 file sizes:

the closed file size (which will show compression) and is read by the OS on a closed file.

The open "pixel only" file size (as if a flattened image, shown in the Image Size Dialog)

And the open file size, showing file size including layers and such can be seen at lower left of image  document window under "Document Sizes"

• 5. Re: File sizing question? 42m that opens as 19m, don't know why.
                  Curt Y Level 7

Open up Image/Image Size and change dimesions to pixels.  You will then see the H & W in pixels.  If you have resample off changing dimemsions or resolution does not change image size.

• 6. Re: File sizing question? 42m that opens as 19m, don't know why.
                    PECourtejoie Adobe Community Professional

Hello! I think the other questions have been answered, but are you sure that you must convert to CYMK? What technology does the printer use to print the banner?

Most inksjet printers use indeed CYMK  inks, plus similar colors, but expect to receive RGB files. You may lose a lot of colors if you convert to CYMK before printing to a device that "wants" RGB.

• 7. Re: File sizing question? 42m that opens as 19m, don't know why.
                      Cozmicone Level 4

The file size of an image doesn’t matter when it comes to printing it, just the physical size and resolution does. If the image has to print at a certain physical size just set the dimensions and resolution to the size it needs to be. Granted, by increasing the dimensions and resolution you’re going to lose quality as increasing these always results in some loss of quality, but you don’t have any way around it. If the file you received from the other person is 24”x13” at 150ppi, then that’s the size of the image. You would have to go back to the other person to see if they have a version that’s physically larger and not file size larger.

The reason why the file size is physically huge is because you switched from 8bit to 16bit mode. I have a 20” x 20” 300ppi image that’s 1.73M in 8bit mode and 206M in 16bit mode.