9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2013 12:29 PM by the_wine_snob

edit with windows of apple?

bernardbussemaker

I must buy a new computer. I hear many problems from Windowusers who edit films with Adobe. Should I buy an Apple,

or can I take the risk and continue with Windows? Where is the point in Windows that I should give special attention?

Thanks.

Bernard Bussemaker

• 1. Re: edit with windows of apple?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

bernardbussemaker

I am strictly an Elements Windows user.

Just a quick reply for now.

From the point of view of Premiere Elements, although Premiere Elements Windows and Mac are very similar, there are those differences. It seems to me that  Premiere Elements Mac typically comes out on the short side. Note the Windows Only in several of the effects and such. One example...no Chroma Key and no Blue Screen or Green Screen Key, but there are workarounds. Check out Steve Grisetti thread on that. He suggests Videomerge as the substitute in this case

http://www.muvipix.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=100&t=11271

I have found the Difference Matte under keying can be a substitute for Chroma Key, Blue Screen or Green Screen. More on that if interested.

On the plus side of things for Premiere Elements 11 on Mac 64 bit, the program is a 64 bit application.

I have had several Premiere Elements versions, all on Windows, and all continue to perform well.

ATR

• 2. Re: edit with windows of apple?
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It's not really so much the difference between the Mac and Windows operating system. For one thing, the Windows OS top-notch since Windows 7 (although Windows 8 is a bit sketchy). For another, the Mac version of Premiere Elements doesn't have all the features of the Windows version. http://forums.adobe.com/thread/729803?tstart=0

So buying a Windows 7 machine is by no means a "risk".

There are always computers out there that have problems with a given program -- both Macs and PCs. But the vast majority of users have no problems on either operating system, and one affords little advantage over the other.

I use Premiere Elements on both my Windows 7 and my Mac OSX computers without any problems on either.

• 3. Re: edit with windows of apple?
              bernardbussemaker Level 1

ATR,

thanks for your quick reaction. That supports me to hold on windows.

Bernard Bussemaker

• 4. Re: edit with windows of apple?

Thank you Steve for your quick reaction. It gives me trust to go on with Windows.

Bernard Bussemaker

• 5. Re: edit with windows of apple?
                  JMJarrige Level 2

Bonjour

I am a windows and Mac user.

The important point for the choice, in my last experience, is that it is now difficult, and almost impossible,

to find a windows laptop with firewire connection.

If your camcorders are DV or HDV (that's my case), only Mac have at this time this capability of FW link, even if

it is on the last models via thunderbolt.

If you use cameras with memory, no problem in windows environment.

Negative point on Mac : Elements has less possibilities than windows version. In my case it was not an issue

but it might be a problem for specific effects by example.

Bon courage.

JM

• 6. Re: edit with windows of apple?
                    Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Steve Grisetti wrote:

(although Windows 8 is a bit sketchy).

I find W8 running much better then W7. I dont even miss the start button anymore.

• 7. Re: edit with windows of apple?
                      Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

JMJarrige wrote:

The important point for the choice, in my last experience, is that it is now difficult, and almost impossible,

to find a windows laptop with firewire connection.

You could look for a laptop that has a pcmcia cardslot.

Then you can buy a pcmcia firewire card.

• 8. Re: edit with windows of apple?

to: JMJarrige,

Thank you for your reaction. My confidence in Windows is growing.

Bernard

• 9. Re: edit with windows of apple?
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

JMJarrige,

I encountered that problem. I had to wait until Clevo started shipping a new MoBo, and then give ADK (my builder) time to test that for my new laptop. Clevo is shipping those MoBo's now (as of about April, 2013), and they do test out well by ADK.

I also agree with Ann about either PCMCIA, or ExpressCards. I have used a multiple controller FW-800 ExpressCard for about 5 years now, and it functions fine - however, PCMCIA and ExpressCard slots are becoming harder to find on a laptop.

Good luck to the OP,

Hunt