26 Replies Latest reply on Jun 11, 2013 8:59 AM by ECBowen

After effects vs macbook pro 15" mountain lion

AELover

Hey guys, i just bought my macbook pro 15" mid 2012 with 8GB Ram 1600 MHz DDR3 and 750GB HD, 2.6Ghz Intel core i7,  Graphics  Intel HD Graphics 4000 384 MB,  i work alot with AFTER EFFECTS and everytime i try to edit a video o simply add animation to TEXT, my macbook temperature goes up to 90 -95ºC , i don't know what else to do,  i purchased the retina version first and same thing happened so i went back and changed it to NON RETINA but still the same, this only happens when i work in AE, other wise, with photoshop for example it goes up to 55ºC  max, any tips on what should i do? I thought maybe upgrading to 16 GB Ram would help but i am not sure.. Help please!!!

Thank you

• 1. Re: After effects vs macbook pro 15" mountain lion
          ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

The Macbooks use the shell itself to dissipate heat. If the CPU temp is getting that high I would take it to the Apple Store and have the tech's make sure the heatsink is pasted well. Beyond that then the temps are accurate. The Unit will throttle down once it reaches 90C to 95C so it will not burn the chip out. However the performance will drop significantly once the throttling kicks in.

Eric

ADK

• 2. Re: After effects vs macbook pro 15" mountain lion
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I don't remember the exact name (I don't have a laptop, but I did read a discussion, here, sometime in the past year) but... for a Mac... would a "laptop base w/fans" where the laptop sits on a "bed" with imbedded fans help?

ADDED

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=laptop+fan+base&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid =10331358324&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=8377425131046639870&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b &hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_7dxex434rl_b

• 3. Re: After effects vs macbook pro 15" mountain lion
              AELover Level 1

I already contacted FNAC ( where i got mine from ), i purchased the macbook pro retina first and i had to go and change it, i thought might had something to do with the retina version from what i red on the internet so i asked to change to a macbook pro w/retina....since i only had it less then 1 week...BUT, same think keeps happening only when i start working on AE....when i work on PS only goes up to 65C when on youtube around 50C, when normal browsing such as facebook 47-48C....it seems to be only happening when i use heavy duty in after affects such as editing videos or animating text, when i RENDER. What can i do to fix this? Would upgrading to a 16 GB Ram fix this ?

Thank you so much once again, i am pretty much desperate since i have to work and i can't , i am getting behind on my requests:(

LMartins

• 4. Re: After effects vs macbook pro 15" mountain lion

The CPU load decides the energy that has to dissipate. Changing the amount of ram will not effect the CPU significantly unless you are already using most of the ram you have. Either way that does not change the fact the heat is pushing 95C at 80+% load. John's recommendation would cool the shell which in turn should cool the CPU. I would follow it if you want to keep that Macbook. Beyond that re-pasting the heatsink for the CPU that would be the only fix.

Eric

ADK

• 5. Re: After effects vs macbook pro 15" mountain lion
                  AELover Level 1

My Macbook is only 1 week old, i purchased it at FNAC, do i have to go there and ask them to do that for me, can i go to apple, or maybe its easy enough for me to do it myself ?

It's very frustrating that i am so happy with teh macbook but can't use AE....hope you guys can direct me on how exactly to do this.

Sorry for are the questions.

LMartins

• 6. Re: After effects vs macbook pro 15" mountain lion
                    AELover Level 1

something very strange, i contacted apple and they called me back : apparently they don't even know what to recommend me, i mean , its not like my macbook is bad, its a macbook pro 15" with 8gb ram - 750 gb hd and 2.66 ghz, not bad at all right ?

Anyway, i was thinking about updating the ram to 16gb ( i think that the most macbook pro can be upgraded too ) and if i have a HD change it to SSD but something very strange happens when i go to check my harware INFO, under ATA i get :

This computer doesn't contain any ATA devices. If you installed ATA devices, make sure they're connected and powered on.

Am i missing something ??

Thank you again for all you help

LMartins

• 7. Re: After effects vs macbook pro 15" mountain lion
                      AELover Level 1

and also under HARDWARE i have Serial- ATA :

Serial-ATA Device Tree

Intel 7 Series Chpset

APPLE HDD TOSHIBA MK7559GSXF

Intel 7 Series Chpset

MATSHITADVD-R uj-8A8

Intel 7 Series Chipset:

Vendor:          Intel

Product:          7 Series Chipset

Link Speed:          6 Gigabit

Negotiated Link Speed:          3 Gigabit

Description:          AHCI Version 1.30 Supported

APPLE HDD TOSHIBA MK7559GSXF:

Capacity:          750.16 GB (750,156,374,016 bytes)

Model:          APPLE HDD TOSHIBA MK7559GSXF           

Revision:          GQ201B 

Serial Number:                     139OCZ0HT

Native Command Queuing:          Yes

Queue Depth:          32

Removable Media:          No

Detachable Drive:          No

BSD Name:          disk0

Rotational Rate:          5400

Medium Type:          Rotational

Partition Map Type:          GPT (GUID Partition Table)

S.M.A.R.T. status:          Verified

Volumes:

disk0s1:

Capacity:          209.7 MB (209,715,200 bytes)

BSD Name:          disk0s1

Content:          EFI

Macintosh HD:

Capacity:          749.3 GB (749,296,615,424 bytes)

Available:          710.4 GB (710,399,176,704 bytes)

Writable:          Yes

File System:          Journaled HFS+

BSD Name:          disk0s2

Mount Point:          /

Content:          Apple_HFS

Volume UUID:          4F452C8A-D43F-31C4-9F62-3849294A1362

Recovery HD:

Capacity:          650 MB (650,002,432 bytes)

BSD Name:          disk0s3

Content:          Apple_Boot

Volume UUID:          7C423D2A-76C5-3815-BD83-E34EF607CCCE

• 8. Re: After effects vs macbook pro 15" mountain lion

Ignore the ATA devices. There is nothing wrong with your Macbook. You are running into the limitation of passive cooling. The MacBook design is to use the shell/chassis to dissipate heat versus active fan cooling. That is how they use such a slim design. The downside to that method is efficiency. The heat will dissipate but the amount of energy it takes before the heat will buildup on the heatsink is much lower at any point in time. This also will take longer to remove the heat from the heatsink/shell because you are relying on ambient air temp without much movement to remove the energy. This takes far longer than air moving over the heatsink/shell constantly. This design is built around general use and not consistent high performance use such as AE work. You will run into this problem constantly in the future with that Macbook unless you get one of those Laptop coolers John mentioned.

Eric

ADK

• 9. Re: After effects vs macbook pro 15" mountain lion
                          AELover Level 1

I really dont like to travel with all that around, laptop, coller etc...you mentioned something about re-pasting the heatsink for the CPU,

excuse my ignorance , what is that exactly, and how and where would i get it done ?

Also, i will add more ram to it 16GB is the most i can add on MacBookPro9,1 ?

I can't keep changing computers, and from what i heard my macbook is pretty good even for gamming. What shall i do ? Another version of AE wouldn't change a think either

• 10. Re: After effects vs macbook pro 15" mountain lion
                            AELover Level 1

Another thing i was thinking of is, since i have two graphic cards, Intel HD Graphics 4000 - 384MB and NVIDIA Geforce GT 650M - Ram 1024MB. They switch within themselfs, how about setting just one of them to be active instead of switching all the time ? Would this harm my mac ?

• 11. Re: After effects vs macbook pro 15" mountain lion

Repasting the Heatsink would need to be done at the Apple store or authorized repair center if it's under warranty. That involves opening the shell up and taking the heatsink off the CPU. Then you have to remove the factory thermal paste and apply a new one. I really dont think it will help that much though in this case.

I dont see where you configure the current Macbook Pro's with 16GB so this may not be a field replacable option on the current Mackbooks like many of the new Ultrabooks.

The Macbook may be fine for some gaming but that doesn't mean AE would be an application you want to run on it constantly. AE rendering uses allot of CPU power so the temps will be an issue without proper cooling. Keep in mind all laptops now including Macbooks will throttle the CPU down when the temp is to high so damaging the CPU would be highly unlikely. However you will deal with the performance drop when the CPU throttles down so much.

Eric

ADK

• 12. Re: After effects vs macbook pro 15" mountain lion

Optimus is used to lower the power consumption and heat of a laptop. I would not turn that off. The laptop will switch to which GPU it requires for the application.

Eric

ADK

• 13. Re: After effects vs macbook pro 15" mountain lion
                                  AELover Level 1

i was just working a bit on AE ( trying ) and i noticed that when i am not rendering it stays between 52C and 65C at 1998 - 2000RPM but when it reaches 75C - 78C it still shows 2003 RPM too .....it reached 97C again and was about 2998 RPM...i almost s..t my pants so i closed AE .....nerve breaking here, can't do my work:), should i keep working even if it gets that high ?

Thank you again

• 14. Re: After effects vs macbook pro 15" mountain lion
                                    AELover Level 1

BTW - I m using TEMPERATURE GAUGE 4.1 paid version....there is no option to higher up the fan on there.

• 15. Re: After effects vs macbook pro 15" mountain lion

Well evidently they have a small fan in there since there are RPM's showing. At 97C the CPU is throttling by that point. You should be able to work at 97C and it should just throttle down to allow it to cool. If you will be rendering for hours at a time though you may not want to continue with this with the current setup.

Eric

ADK

• 16. Re: After effects vs macbook pro 15" mountain lion
                                        AELover Level 1

If it gets higher it won't damage my macbook or the screen right?

I came accross this from youtube : http://www.vidmuze.com/how-to-enable-gpu-cuda-in-adobe-cs6-for-mac/

i dunno much about it so i didn't do anything yet, if you could take alook at it and see if its any good, if it is it might help alot of people having this issues same as me.

Thanks again

• 17. Re: After effects vs macbook pro 15" mountain lion

No it should shut off between 105 and 120C to prevent that. However long term, you can thermal damage a CPU that way.

Eric
                                          ADK

• 18. Re: After effects vs macbook pro 15" mountain lion
                                            AELover Level 1

how about the link i pasted here? Would it be any help for when i work on AE ? using GPU instead of CPU ? ( see link pasted on previous message ).

Thank you again

LMartins

• 19. Re: After effects vs macbook pro 15" mountain lion

That likely wont help the load to much since GPU Acceleration doesn't always mean less load on the CPU. Also increased GPU Load means greater ambient temps in the shell and possibly on the same heatsink if they share as many do.

Eric
                                              ADK

• 20. Re: After effects vs macbook pro 15" mountain lion
                                                AELover Level 1

i did that, the GPU change and now when i work with AE it goes only up to 70C and when i do rendering, sometimes 90C but i dont get 98C anymore.....working with photoshop i get up to 65C sometimes, but no more then that and when i am just watching movies o youtube and browsing i get anywhere from 41C to 55C....from what i have been reading around , all this is normal for macbooks and its not really that high, right ?

Thank you,

LMartins

• 21. Re: After effects vs macbook pro 15" mountain lion

Yes those temps are normal and 90C is ok for a laptop.

Eric

ADK

• 22. Re: After effects vs macbook pro 15" mountain lion
                                                    AELover Level 1

thank you, ....one thing that i am confused of is, when it reaches 75 - 80ºC when using AE the RPM still runs as 2000-2100, is that normal ? and when i close AE it takes a few minutes ( 3 - 5 minutes ) to go down to 55C and sometimes less.

• 23. Re: After effects vs macbook pro 15" mountain lion

The fan speed is all handled by the cooling profile which is either stored in the firmware of the system or keyboard. That is not normally something you can change.

Eric

ADK

• 24. Re: After effects vs macbook pro 15" mountain lion
                                                        AELover Level 1

Cool, ok, i think i have it under control now, when i work in AE rendering it goes up to 80ºC which from what i can see its pretty normal and not that high, now i have another issue, as always, when i get a new macbook, i like to take care of it the most, i am looking for a silicone keyboard protector ES EU but i can only find one in black, i see lots of them in nice colours and such ....but not for my type of keyboard:( anyone could help?

BTW : I came up with this idea ....for those who are concerned about the ventilation from bottom of the Mac and the table, i got concerned too, so i went ahead i got some sort of door stoppers ( dont really know how to call it ), its a small rounded rubber-ish thing that you can get from any hardware store ( they have diff sizes though ), you can just put it on each corner of the SPECK case if you have one and make look like very short legs ( like a table )...i personaly didnt want to glue it straight on my mac so i did it to my case and looks pretty good:)

• 25. Re: After effects vs macbook pro 15" mountain lion
                                                          jasonvp Level 3

AELover wrote:

i work alot with AFTER EFFECTS and everytime i try to edit a video o simply add animation to TEXT, my macbook temperature goes up to 90 -95ºC ,

Download and install smcFanControl.  It'll put a little icon in your menu bar telling you what your fan speed is and what the processor's temp is.  Adjust the fan speed as needed while you're doing your work.  It make make the laptop a little louder, but it'll do the trick.

• 26. Re: After effects vs macbook pro 15" mountain lion

Thanks for the tip on the fan control utility. I wasnt aware of one for OSX.

Eric

ADK