6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 7, 2013 7:33 AM by Willi Adelberger

Why can't Find find particular copy-n-pasted text?

puffmoike Level 1

I'm creating a catalogue which imports data from Excel. In some instances the Excel data includes an OEM part number. Sometimes it doesn't. I created a template (terminology?) which includes the text "OEM Part Number: " and then holding text for the data from the appropriate column in Excel to be merged. You can see the output in this image…

OEM Part Number.png

Where there is no data I want to remove all reference to OEM Part Number (remove the grey text completely). However when I highlight such an instance and then paste the result into Find/Change InDesign reports it cannot find a match. The text as copied appears in Find as:

OEM Part Number: ^|^|   ( I've manually typed  "^|^|"  here, as it doesn't show up when I paste into this form)

The problematic character appears to be "^|". InDesign can't find any instances of this.

What is happening?

Can anyone suggest a way to easily remove all instances throughtout my Book of the grey "OEM Part Number:" where there is no data for that item?

• 1. Re: Why can't Find find particular copy-n-pasted text?
          Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

^| is the shortcut in find and replace for a fixed space in the width of 1/24 em (hair space).

So you have either to copy such an instance out of the text in the document to include all visible and invisible glyphs in your clipboard and paste it into the dialog or to avoud this step anyway.

I would personally prefer to do these kind of things very different:

1. Set up a new paragraph style

2. Set up numbering and bullets, numbering but without numbers but with text "OEM Part Number: " and let the text flow from MS Excel chart, where numbers are the text appears from the Paragraph Style' automatic numbering feature, where no numbers are no text appears.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Why can't Find find particular copy-n-pasted text?
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Are you pasting into the plain text tab, or the GREP tab?

• 3. Re: Why can't Find find particular copy-n-pasted text?
              puffmoike Level 1

Willi Adelberger wrote:

I would personally prefer to do these kind of things very different:

1. Set up a new paragraph style

2. Set up numbering and bullets, numbering but without numbers but with text "OEM Part Number: " and let the text flow from MS Excel chart, where numbers are the text appears from the Paragraph Style' automatic numbering feature, where no numbers are no text appears.

Clever approach to dealing with empty cells in Excel. I like it!

Willi Adelberger wrote:

^| is the shortcut in find and replace for a fixed space in the width of 1/24 em (hair space).

So you have either to copy such an instance out of the text in the document to include all visible and invisible glyphs in your clipboard and paste it into the dialog or to avoud this step anyway.

I don't understand what you meant here though… I did cut-n-paste directly from the text into the Change/Find panel - is that what you're alluding to?

• 4. Re: Why can't Find find particular copy-n-pasted text?
                puffmoike Level 1

Peter Spier wrote:

Are you pasting into the plain text tab, or the GREP tab?

I tried both.

In the Text tab I saw:

OEM Part Number: ^|^|

In the GREP tab I saw:

OEM Part Number: ~|~|

• 5. Re: Why can't Find find particular copy-n-pasted text?
                  Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

OK, just checking. If you typed or pasted int the GREP and saw ^| I wouldn't expect to see a match. boththe ^ and | are special characters in GREP.

• 6. Re: Why can't Find find particular copy-n-pasted text?
                    Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

Because these signs and others have special meanings in dialogs and are a source for different problems as such you accounter here, I would recommend to fill such cells in Excel with unique lettercombination which can be replaced with normal text and make no damage to some replacement codes.