8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 7, 2013 7:49 PM by Steven L. Gotz

2.39:1 for individual shots

funkytwig Level 1

Hi, we have a film that was shot in 16:9 but want to end up with a 2.39:1 project.  Thing is it is not as simple as cropping the whole sequence as sometines we want to crop the top and sometimes the bottom only and sometimes the top and the bottom (always ending up with 2.39:1).

Is it possible to have a 2.39:1 sequene and not have premiere squash the image but take the middle of the image and let me have the ability to slide the image up/down to tweek exacly what I want?

Any sugestions welcome.

Ben

• 1. Re: 2.39:1 for individual shots
          Jim_Simon Level 8

I created a framing guide specifically for this purpose, but every method I try for public sharing doesn't work, so I've sent you an email with it attached.

• 2. Re: 2.39:1 for individual shots
            Steven L. Gotz Level 5

I recommend that you create a sequence using a 2.39:1 ratio. Then you can use the Motion effect's Position parameter to adjust which part of the frame you want showing. Easier than putting something on top.

Also, the position parameter can be keyframed to allow you to change the cropping over time if your video calls for that, without having to cut the clip.

If you then want to export a 1920X1080 frame with bars top and bottom you can just drop the original sequence into a 1920X1080 sequence and export from there. Simple.

• 3. Re: 2.39:1 for individual shots
              funkytwig Level 1

Thanks Steven,

Does this not just sqish the image, how do I stop that?

Sorry I should just give it a go but I am booted into Mac and my PP is Windows.  I am rendering a 40 min doc and it is going to take a while.

Ben

• 4. Re: 2.39:1 for individual shots
                Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can easily make a cinematic 2.39 overlay to fit 1920x1080 screen.

Go into the Titler and make two black bars 140 heigh and 1920 pixels wide.

Drop them top and bottom.

Or use Jim's framing guide and drop that on an adjustment layer

• 5. Re: 2.39:1 for individual shots
                  Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Please allow me to answer your question after I tell you that I admire Jim and Ann very much, and I warn you that disregarding their advice can often be foolhardy.

However, in this particular case, I believe that they are steering you wrong. But it is just my opinion and you should probably try both ways just to make sure you know the difference (which is quite slight on a fast machine with a good graphics card, and significant on a slow machine with an old graphics card).

Let's say that you have a 16:9 video clip that you put an overlay over. OK. You have an extra track to think about. Why do that?

My suggestion is to create a 2.39:1 sequence (which I guess might be 1920X804 or 1280X536?) and place your footage into that sequence. Do not allow Premiere Pro to adjust the sequence parameters when you drop the first clip in (it will ask if it is OK), and do not scale to frame size.

The default will cut a little off the top and a little off the bottom. (Actually more than a little, but that is what you say you want.)

If you want to see more headroom, position the video up higher, less headroom, position it down lower. All using the Motion effect

No squishing. No additional track. Other than that, it is pretty much the same as adding black bars.

When it comes to exporting, you won't have the black bars my way if you export at the frame size you editing on. Their way you will.

If you want the black bars for a 1920X1080 export, with my way you just nest the 2.39 ratio sequence in a 16:9 ratio sequence and export.

• 6. Re: 2.39:1 for individual shots
                    Jim_Simon Level 8

Let's say that you have a 16:9 video clip that you put an overlay over. OK. You have an extra track to think about. Why do that?

Two reasons.  One, BD export will need the full 1080 height, so editing in that sequence makes things easy on that front should BD ever be desired.  Second, and perhaps more important, my overlay shows you what's above and below the crop without adjusting anything, so you can see immediately if you want to adjust it and which way.

• 7. Re: 2.39:1 for individual shots
                      funkytwig Level 1

Steven, yes that sounds like sa sterling plan.  Need to check with director exacly what aspect ration/resolution he wants.  1920 x 804 sounds like the ticket, I thoght it was 1920 x 1080 (what aspect is this?).

Ben

• 8. Re: 2.39:1 for individual shots
                        Steven L. Gotz Level 5

1920X1080 is 16:9

Now, Jim has made a good point. With a framing guide you can see what you are missing. I am not sure I would not consider that a distraction, but try it both ways and see what you prefer.

I thought he was talking about Ann's black bars, which also hide things unless you adjust the opacity down and then adjust it back up later.