3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 7, 2013 7:20 AM by Peter Spier Branched from an earlier discussion.

Automatic Section Numbering

zimbop Level 1

Sorry to dig this up from the recent past but I'm having this same issue and didn't want to start a new thread unnecessarily.

Adding the section marker only seems to add text manually entered in the Numbering and Section Options > Start Section > Section Marker: text box. How do you get a section number to automatically appear there?

• 1. Re: Automatic Section Numbering
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I don't think you do. And starting a new thread would be better, actually, along with more details of what you want in the marker. I'll branch this to a new discussion, and you can reply with the gory details of what you want to see and your version of ID.

• 2. Re: Automatic Section Numbering
            zimbop Level 1

InDesign CS5.5

I'm creating a single document and trying to use sections as chapters. I can see how to use the section marker to show manually added text (as I stated above) for running footers and such, but how would I add automatically updating section numbers (faux chapter numbers but in a single doc)? I'm thinking it's not possible after googling and forum searching.

• 3. Re: Automatic Section Numbering
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Rather than trying to do it with section prefixes, why not assign a unique paragraph style to the chapter heading that includes a Numbered List, and set the number to include "Chapter" or other text before the actual number. You can then pick up this text using a running header variable for the header or footer on subsequent pages.