5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 7, 2013 5:08 PM by Jim_Simon

I need better performance from my computer. Could someone point me in the right direction?

MikeB2342 Level 1

I do a lot of video editing for work. I am currently using the Creative Cloud, and the programs I use most frequently are Premiere Pro CS6, Photoshop CS6, and Encore. My issue is that when I am rendering video in Premiere Pro, and most importantly, transcoding in Encore for BluRay discs, I am getting severe lag from my computer. It basically uses the majority of my computer's resources and doesn't allow me to do much else. This means, that I can't do other work while stuff is rendering or transcoding. I had this computer built specifically for video editing and need to know which direction to go in for an upgrade to get some better performance, and allow me to do other work.

For the record, I do have MPE: GPU Acceleration turned ON, and I have 12GBs of RAM alloted for Adobe in Premiere Pro's settings, and 4GBs left for "other".

Here is my computer:

- Dell Precision T7600

- Windows 7 Professional, 64-bit

- DUAL Intel Xeon CPU E-2620 - 2.0GHz 6-core Processors

- 16GBs of RAM

- 256GB SSD as my primary drive. This is where the majority of my work is performed.

- Three 2TB secondary drives in a RAID5 configuration. This is solely for backing up data after I have worked on it. I don't really use this to work off of.

- nVidia Quadro 4000 2GB video card

When I am rendering or transcoding, my processor(s) performance fluctuates between 50%-70%, with all 12 cores active and being used. My physical memory is basically ALL used up while this is happening.

Here is where I am at on the issue. I put in a request for more RAM (32GBs), this way I can allot around 25GBs of RAM to the Adobe suite, leaving more than enough to do other things. I was told that this was not the right direction to go in. I was told that since my CPUs are working around 50-70%, it means that my video card isn't pulling enough weight. I was told that the first step in upgrading this machine that we should take, is to replace my 2GB video card with a 4GB video card, and that will fix these performance issues that I am having, not RAM.

This is the first machine that has been built over here for this purpose, so it is a learning process for us. I was hoping someone here could give a little insight to my situation.

Thanks for any help.

• 2. Re: I need better performance from my computer. Could someone point me in the right direction?
          tfi productions 44 Level 1

hello,  you might want to install evga precision (or another gpu monitor) to see how much work the quadro is doing and when

you could also open up task manager > performance > resource monitor > disc usage

and see if/where there is a HDD bottleneck

my thoughts:  you need more hard disks to separate out the tasks involved in PPRO:

1) os, projects

2) media cache

3) footage

4) final renders

what are the speeds of your HDD : they should be at least 7200rpm (non eco) drives

also:  how full is the ssd?  performance slows as the ssd/hdd fills up (again another reason for as many hdds as you can hook up)

and then have your raid for backup

i use 8 separate hdd in my rig, others use lots more

the hardware forum has a wonderful thread somewhere by Harm M. that discusses all this

i have a quadro 4000 and love it

hope some of this helps, cheers, j

i see JoeBloePremiere is already on the case!!

Message was edited by: tfi productions 44

• 3. Re: I need better performance from my computer. Could someone point me in the right direction?
            Harm Millaard Level 7

You have a couple of issues with this system:

• Slow E5-2620's. You would be much better off with E5-2687W's
            • Limited memory. 32 GB is around bare minimum for a dual processor system.
            • Outdated Quadro 4000 card, which is very slow in comparison to newer cards and is generally not used when transcoding.
            • Far insufficient disk setup. You need way more disks.
            • A software raid5 carries a lot of overhead.
            • The crippled BIOS of Dell does not allow overclocking.
            • The SSD may suffer from severe 'stable state' performance degradation, reducing performance even more.

You would not be the first to leave a Dell in the configuration it came in. If that is the case, you need a lot of tuning to get it to run decently.

Second thing to consider is what source material are you transcoding to what destination format? If you start with AVCHD material and your destination is MPEG2-DVD, the internal workings of PR may look like this:

• Convert AVCHD material to an internal intermediate, which is solely CPU bound. No GPU involvement.
            • Rescale the internal intermediate to DVD dimensions, which is MPE accelerated, so heavy GPU involvement.
            • Adjust the frame rate from 29.97 to 23.976, which again is MPE accelerated, so GPU bound.
            • Recode the rescaled and frame-blended internal intermediate to MPEG2-DVD codec, which is again solely CPU bound.
            • Apply effects to the MPEG2-DVD encoded material, which can be CPU bound for non-accelerated effects and GPU bound for accelerated effects.
            • Write the end result to disk, which is disk performance related.

If you export AVCHD to H.264-BR the GPU is out of the game altogether, since all transcoding is purely CPU based, assuming there is no frame blending going on. Then all the limitations of the Dell show up, as you noticed.

• 4. Re: I need better performance from my computer. Could someone point me in the right direction?
              SAFEHARBOR11 Most Valuable Participant

"256GB SSD as my primary drive. This is where the majority of my work is performed."

If you are storing your video clips on the C: drive, that is a problem. Always use a fast, separate drive for your media. Adobe requires a "Dedicated Video Drive"

Thanks

Jeff Pulera

Safe Harbor

• 5. Re: I need better performance from my computer. Could someone point me in the right direction?
                Jim_Simon Level 8

It basically uses the majority of my computer's resources and doesn't allow me to do much else. This means, that I can't do other work while stuff is rendering or transcoding.

That's normal and exactly what you want to happen.  if it wasn't heppening, exports would go a lot slower.