4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 7, 2013 2:47 PM by Trevor.Dennis

most safest file format for long term storage

pastelcoloredcookie

What is the most safest file format for storing image data? I am thinking in terms of drive failure. Suppose you have a precious picture and you do not want it to be corrupted by a single bit failure by the drive. What is the best option? My undestanding is saving an image in a compressed format is most insecure because failure of a few bits can lead to gross decompression problems. My other undersanding is that RAW formats that store the individual pixels are the safest. Consider 2 situations:

1. The RAW file header becomes corrupted. You can still recover data by interpolating and "guesstimating" from the existing data.

2. Actual image data becomes corrupted in a certain region of the file. You can interpolate around the lost areas to recover the image.

What do you think? All this is theoretical. There are no tools that I know of that are designed to specifically accomplish 1 and 2. Honestly, if I had a precious picture, I would save it in RAW format in 2 or 3 different physical drives.

Also, are there tools to recover data from corrupted photoshop psb/psd files?

• 1. Re: most safest file format for long term storage
          pastelcoloredcookie Level 1

Might I add. I wish PS/Adobe had a file format that took into consideration the nature of drive failures (bit errors/block errors) etc.. and came up with a file format to store your most precious pictures that offered  the most recoverability from a corrupted file. Just a wish. It would give users ultimate confidence that their most precious pictures are saved in the most secure and recoverable format

• 2. Re: most safest file format for long term storage
            Curt Y Level 7

Format is probably imaterial.  The media is.  No mater what you save it on it is best to save it on 3 hard drives, and store 2 of them off site.  But when you talk of long term storage of a digital media not sure there is such a thing.  Can you read data on current computer you saved 30 years ago?

A DVD disk deterioates over time and should be rewritten every few years. 

• 3. Re: most safest file format for long term storage
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Might I add. I wish PS/Adobe had a file format that took into consideration the nature of drive failures (bit errors/block errors) etc.. and came up with a file format to store your most precious pictures that offered  the most recoverability from a corrupted file. Just a wish. It would give users ultimate confidence that their most precious pictures are saved in the most secure and recoverable format

File storage doesn't work this way. You're simply ignoring the fact that before writing any single byte to the disk there are at least 3 more intermediate layers of code - your operating system, your storage device driver, the device's controller with associated BIOS. And all the magic in this world like hash values or wavelet based interpolation doesn't do you any good, if it's stored on the same, potentailly defective physical disk. So much for that. That's what backup storage or RAID 3/5/7 are for... As Curt said, do backups as often as you can on as many devices as you can and keep your disks entombed/ enshrined in a safe place.

Mylenium

• 4. Re: most safest file format for long term storage
                Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

Shadow Protect has save me from disaster twice now.  Best $100 I ever spent.