• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Expanding Hotspots Missing First Word; Some Portions of Topics Show Only the Search Text

New Here ,
Jun 07, 2013 Jun 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm using RoboHelp version 9.02 on my Windows 7 64-bit computer to generate a WebHelp project. When I preview the output stored on my hard drive, everything looks normal. Likewise, when I view the latest build in the product, everything looks normal to me and several other users. However, a client and two other people in my company are seeing unusual things in the topics. As far as they know, the issues just began after our last major release. I checked to make sure they were following our Technical Requirements document (to make sure they were using supported browsers, etc.), and they checked their settings and are following all guidelines. Here is what they are seeing:

Issue 1) When they initially open a topic that uses expanding hotspots for the field definitions, none of the field names appear on the page. (Background info: We list all of the field names on the page, and then use expanding hotspots to hold the full definitions.) These users do not see the list of fields on the page. They just see the topic title, an introductory note, and a button we created to expand all of the field definitions. When these users click the Expand All Field Definitions button (that normally expands all of the hotspots so that users see all of the field names along with their definitions), they see just the definitions without the field names. Something must be wrong with how the hotspots are set up, but it looks normal to several of us in the build, and they used to work fine for these other users until recently.

Issue 2) When these same users perform a search (for example, on the word "accounting"), there are places in the topics where the term "accounting" is the only word that shows up. They can see the title, introductory text, etc. but some of the step-by-step instructions and/or bullet points in the topic show *only* the search term they entered and no other surrounding text.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 10, 2013 Jun 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I just figured out the problem. The seemingly missing text is tagged as "color: Transparent" in the HTML code. (That explains Isse 1 and Issue 2, since the search text is highlighted in Issue 2.)

I'm still curious why this looks fine to some of us, but not to others. We're all using IE9 (supposedly, since I asked if anyone was using a different browser and/or using Google Chrome first). If anyone knows more about why this would suddently surface as a problem in RH9, let me know. I'll keep looking in the forums to try to find out how to globally fix this, but if anyone knows offhand how to globablly change this, please let me know. It's a *massive* project that I inherited (literally thousands of topics), so a global change would be extremely helpful. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 11, 2013 Jun 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First of all check that the source files are located on a local drive when you open the RH project.

As for changing the HTML you could handle this by a tool such as FAR HTML. Take a copy of your project before doing anything though, just in case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tip about FAR HTML. I'll check it out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Check out whole project. 

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp