8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 7, 2013 10:22 PM by bmsiemens

importing fonts to indesign?

bmsiemens

I want to import 3 fonts missing from the new indesign CS6 (jazz, maestro, petrucci), how do I do this? I desparately need them in documents converted from my old indesign files.

• 1. Re: importing fonts to indesign?
          Dov Isaacs Adobe Employee

By “missing” I assume you mean that those fonts are not installed on the system you are currently using InDesign on. The three fonts that you name are not fonts supplied by Adobe with any of their products.

InDesign will pick up any valid fonts you have installed on your system. If the fonts you need aren't so-installed, you need to license them from whatever font foundry produces and markets them. After installing those fonts, they will be accessible to you in InDesign for use in your documents.

- Dov

• 2. Re: importing fonts to indesign?
            bmsiemens Level 1

Hi Dov,

Thank you for the note, the fonts jazz petrucci and maestro were were in my old indesign application and I've used them for years. I'm not sure where to find the font foundry but I'll try googling it.

• 3. Re: importing fonts to indesign?
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

They must have been installed on your system. I beleive they are included as part of the Finale music software application. Is this the same computer that you used to create the old file, or a new one?

If you already have a license for those fonts, all you need to do is find them again, either on disk, or downloaded, or where they were installed so you can copy them. No need to buy a new license from the font manufacturer/vendor (foundry).

• 4. Re: importing fonts to indesign?
                BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Easiest way to do that is go to the old machine and create a new

InDesign document with the fonts in question used in it.

Then use the file>package command which will create folder for the fonts.

Bob

• 5. Re: importing fonts to indesign?
                  bmsiemens Level 1

Hi

Thank you for the reply. I was using the fonts in Indesign 7.0 as I have never had Finale so I'm not sure where else I would have gotten them but this is a new computer, my old one fried, maybe that's the problem.

I've found petrucci online and downloaded that but not the other two yet.

• 6. Re: importing fonts to indesign?
                    bmsiemens Level 1

My old machine is completely fried, there's nothing left and on the new machine all the old indesign files were automatically converted to the new indesign when I signed up and downloaded the iCloud CS6 but thank you for the thought.

• 7. Re: importing fonts to indesign?
                      Michael Gianino Level 4

bmsiemens wrote:

…I have never had Finale so I'm not sure where else I would have gotten them…

Those are definitely music fonts from Finale, and are basically useless if you don't typeset music notation, so you shouldn't need them. If you do, contact FinaleMusic (the company that created the fonts).

• 8. Re: importing fonts to indesign?
                        bmsiemens Level 1

Actually I am using them to type set along with text so I will contact FinaleMusic.

Thank you,