4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 9, 2013 6:18 PM by A.T. Romano

Pan and Zoom Elements 11

srickie

Pan and zoom in Premire Elements 11, can it be resized, I see that it is preset for something like 3" tall x 5" wide, but what if you have a picture that is 5" tall x 3" wide? When I go into it, it starts in the middle of the picture, when I'm wanting the full picture to begain top to bottom.

• 1. Re: Pan and Zoom Elements 11
          A.T. Romano Level 7

srickie

I think that you need to refocus. Video involves pixels and not inches.

So, you need to focus

a. What are the pixel dimensions of your photos to which you want to add a pan and zoom effect in Premiere Elements 11, that is, width and height in pixels.

b. What did the project or you set for the project preset. If you did nothing, then you will be left with the project default of 1080i30 (1920 x 1080 16:9 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second) if you have a NTSC setup and 1080i25 (1920 x 1080 16:9 @ 25 interlaced frames per second if you have a PAL setup.

Setting up the project correctly is important so that your source media fill the space established in the Edit Mode Monitor for editing purposes. And, the project preset directs the program as to what space to provide.

Now for the matter of pan and zoom in Premiere Elements 11 - ways include:

a. The Pan and Zoom Tool

b. Keyframing the Motion properties of Scale (for Zoom) and Position (for Pan)

c. Presets

What do you want to do with your Timeline content once you have edited it and applied effects such as pan and zoom?

Are you preparing for a DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc, Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc, or do you just want to export a HD file and save it to the computer hard drive?

Please review and then we can go in whatever direction is needed to help you move forward in your Premiere Elements project.

Please do not hesitate to ask if you need clarification in anything that I have written. Important. Think pixels not inches.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Pan and Zoom Elements 11
            srickie Level 1

Ok, let me rephrase the question about pan and zoom in Premiere Elements 11. The question would be, can the boxes in pan and zoom be resized? The following will give you a better understanding on what I am asking.

I have a picture that measures 1188x767, and the pan and zoom works as I like it. It starts by covering the whole picture, then I can zoom to an area of intrest, but if I have a picture that is 767x1188, pan and zoom starts in the middle of the picture, I want it to start over the whole picture. Is it possible to change the size of the boxes to fit such a picture, if so, How? See pics

pan and zoom.jpg

• 3. Re: Pan and Zoom Elements 11
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

The shape of those boxes is based on the shape of your video frame. Video frames are either 4:3 or, in your case, 16:9. so you can't reshape your video frame so that it's tall and narrow, like your photo.

• 4. Re: Pan and Zoom Elements 11
                A.T. Romano Level 7

srickie 

Thanks for the additional information that you supplied for your question. Much appreciated.

As SG has indicated already based on your details, the boxes in the Premiere Elements Pan and Zoom Tool cannot be resized as you want for a portrait oriented photo where the photos height in pixels is greater than its width.

In the example that you give, it would appear to me that the photo pixel dimensions are 767 (width) x 1188 (height) (2:3 rather than 9:16). Nonetheless, we have the portrait oriented photo. Depending on your export goals, is it possible to crop your portrait oriented photos to 4:3 or 16:9 and then use the pan and zoom tool on the now landscape oriented image?

Have you seen the 2012 thread here on your topic?

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1015004

Thanks for your follow up.

ATR