4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 8, 2013 2:23 AM by Peter Spier

InDesign Heading...Need Help

soban_mub

Hi guys, I got a problem. Below are two pics.

First one im working on and

last one is supposed to be the result.

What i need is to make Title "What's Complement" look like last pic, Having underline and above line. But im not able to make it Plz help me out.Im not that pro in it.

ID.jpg

PDF.jpg

• 1. Re: InDesign Heading...Need Help
          Michael Gianino Level 4

Set a thin rule above and a thicker rule below, but use a line break (Shift Return) between What's and Complement instead of a paragraph return. The line break will leave both words within the same paragraph, allowing you to have a rule above the first line of the paragraph, and a rule below the last. If you had any interior lines in the paragraph, they wouldn't have rules, as they are not the first or last line of the paragraph.

• 2. Re: InDesign Heading...Need Help
            soban_mub Level 1

Thank you very much Michael for the quick response.

I got exactly what i want.

• 3. Re: InDesign Heading...Need Help
              soban_mub Level 1

Now i have another problem.

I made an para style.

i want to apply it to a heading which has three fonts used for Hindi, English, and one another. But It changes all into one font.

Is there any way to make a paragraph style in which it doesnt affect the font but affect other formattings?

• 4. Re: InDesign Heading...Need Help
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Paragraph styles include a font specification for face, style, color, size, etc., all of which are defned for the entire paragraph. You can change text within a paragraph to some other font, another size or color, or any combination of the font parameters in two ways, by applying a character style, or by using a local formatting override (slect the text and change the parameters). Character styles are better, and they can be nested into your paragraph style as part of the style definition. ID has three types of character style nesting: Line Styles, Nested Styles, and GREP styles.

Line Styles apply a character style to entire lines in your paragraph. If, for example, you want a different font on every line of your heading, Lines Styles would work well. They adjust automatically to changing line wrap as you edit so they maintain the syle by line (for example if you want he first line of a paragraph in small caps, then change the words, the small caps will remain only on the first line if you insert new text, or will be added to any text that moves into the line if you delete.

Nested Syles apply character styles to one or more characters based on triggers found in the text, like making all text italic up to a colon, or making text inside parentheses bold. You can use forced line breaks as triggers, too, to change line by line.

GREP Styles are similar to nested styles, but both more flexible and more powerful. They use a GREP expression to find a pattern in the text to apply the style (which means, for instance, that you can use them to find very specific text strings anywhere, text that falls into a Unicode range, or you can have multiple alternate triggers).

GREP can seem pretty daunting to beginners, but it has fairly simple rules and syntax, and if you need help there are lots of people here who can lend a hand.

Can you show us an example of how you want the heading to look? We can offer more advice based on the desired appearance.