3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 12, 2007 3:53 PM by abeall

Frame Actions vs Object Actions

yvandaneault
      In preparation for AS3 which no longer supports object actions, I am on the process of converting flash movies created with Object actions in AS2 to Frame actions. While I understand some valid reasons for switching to Frame actions, I am discovering that converting button and clip actions to Frame actions is a very tedious process and so far, more than half the files I have tried to convert do not work. Having worked with Flash since version 3, I know about timelines, targeting and variable scope but this whole conversion process is driving me nuts! Is there a place that I can go to or tutorials available that teach how to attack this conversion? What are the main guidelines in converting from Object to Frame Actions? I have looked in the CS3 Help (from the program or Adobe online) and I have not found anything to guide me. Am I the only one experiencing this? Thanks for your help.
      Yvan
        • 1. Re: Frame Actions vs Object Actions
          abeall Level 3
          Flash CS3 has more than a few major differences with how timelines and actions are executed that make certain paradigms that were simple in AS2 impossible in AS3 -- I would suggest *not* trying to convert any AS2 project to AS3 whenever possible. It's doable in some cases, but if you are using a lot of timelines and object actions, it might not be doable without completely re-structuring your files.
          • 2. Re: Frame Actions vs Object Actions
            kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP
            there's nothing to know except the correct syntax for frame actions AND the default timeline will change when converting from an object action to a frame action.
            • 3. Re: Frame Actions vs Object Actions
              abeall Level 3
              There are other fundamental differences with AS3 and timelines, however, that can be a real problem. If you are relying heavily on timelines for your project, converting to AS3 may cause a lot more problems than syntax and scope. For instance, gotoAndPlay/gotoAndStop/prevFrame/etc no longer have an immediate affect.