3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 9, 2013 5:14 AM by Peter Spier

InDesign CS6 crashes. Reopening crashes ID every time

Gerben Wierda Level 1

I was working on layout of my document. I wanted to  move a large image to a next spread but ID skipped to the end of the document. I parked my image in the pasteboard area (it is larger than that, so probably that is the problem) and then whe I tried to do something, ID crashed. I cannot open my document anymore. Have I lost all my work done today (I have a backup) or is there something I can do to rescue my work?

• 1. Re: InDesign CS6 crashes. Reopening crashes ID every time
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Try emptying the InDesign Recovery folder and ID should launch. You should then be able to open the file at the alst poing at which it was saved if the crash didn't damage it.

• 2. Re: InDesign CS6 crashes. Reopening crashes ID every time
            Gerben Wierda Level 1

Thanks Peter,

I have no idea where the InDesign Recovery folder is, but what I did yesterday late was something that had probably the same effect: Do not attempt to recover. The file opened and roughly 70% of my work turned out to be saved. Then I saved my document and restarted InDesign. InDesign complained about something to do with recivery but from that moment on I could again work with the file.

I suspect I was hit by the same bug I was hit by last year, when objects extend beyond the pasteboard area all kinds of things go wrong. With large objects and 'full rendering' durig editing, it is easy for objects to overshoot when moving them around. I might try to locate the settings again that make full rendering during editing less 'full' and see if this kind of thing happens less easily. Maybe Adobe can fix the bug with objects extending beyond the pasteboard edges.

I also find the recovery behaviour surprising. When I do not save the file while working, for me, recovery means that I can go back to the last save. But here, there as automatic recovery saves and on top of that something that tries to do recovery between  the last recovery save and the moment of the crash.

• 3. Re: InDesign CS6 crashes. Reopening crashes ID every time
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

InDesign has a "sort of" auto save save feature. Every few minutes (I think) it looks at the current state of the file and updates the recovery data that is in the InDesign Recovery folder, which is normally located in your user profile or user library, but can be anywhere you set in the prefs. This doesn't actually save the file where it is located, and is used only when ID does not shut down correctly.

There can be quite a difference in the document state between what is in the actual saved file (when you tell ID to save) and what is in the recovery file. It's a good idea to save the file regularly, and to do a save AS at each major change point with a new file name (I use a version name or number appended to the file name) so you have a backup chain for your work in case something like this goes wrong.