5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 9, 2013 2:02 PM by skyzoomer

Where does elements 11 store raw adjustments for jpg photos?

skyzoomer
      1. In Elements 11, I use "open as" and select camera raw as the type. 
      2. Then I open a jpg image and it opens in Camera Raw 7.4 for elements 11.
      3. After doing some adjustments in CR, I click the "Open" button and the image opens in Elements 11.
      4. I click FILE > CLOSE and a popup asks if I want to save the image.  I click NO.
      5. Then I perform steps 1 and 2 again and the jpg image opens in CR but this time it retains all of the adjustments that I previously made in CR.

I looked in the folder that contains the jpg photos but I don't see a DNG file for the jpg image.  So where is CR saving the adjustments that I made to the jpg image?

Thanks,

Skyzoomer

• 1. Re: Where does elements 11 store raw adjustments for jpg photos?
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

They are stored within the JPEG file.

• 2. Re: Where does elements 11 store raw adjustments for jpg photos?
            b2martin_a Level 2

The adjustments will not be visible in the original jpg file unless you open in with Camera RAW.  If you want  the changes to be visible in the jpg file with all image viewing software, you need to open the file with Camera RAW and save it as a jpg file -  if you don't want to overwrite the original jpg file either use a different file name or save in another folder. 

The original jpg file contains all the Camera RAW slider settigs and the unmodified image data, so the changes are nondestructive which means you can open it any time with Camera RAW and make modifications. 

• 3. Re: Where does elements 11 store raw adjustments for jpg photos?
              skyzoomer Level 1

Hi Jim and Martin,

Thanks much for your responses.  For confirmation, I made a copy of a jpg image and then performed the steps outlined in my origianl post.  Then I compared the file size of the jpg copy to the original jpg file and yes, the file size increased from 2779KB to 2783KB.  So that indeed confirms what you both said that the adjustments are stored within the jpg file.

I suspect that the only ways to know whether a jpg file has camera raw adjustments stored within it, is to:

1. Store it in another folder that indicates "jpg with CR edits".

2. Rename the image with a cr prefix like "cr-IMG-1489.jpg"

Using method-1 is a bit unweildy since saving to another folder requires navigating back to the original folder to edit the next image, with a back & forth folder navigations.

Using method-2 does stay in the same folder so that's good and the files can be sorted later to delete the original jpg images.  Then the folder can be renamed to indicate "jpg with cr edits".

Aside from these methods, do either of you (or anyone else) have a suggestion on how to know that a jpg file has imbedded cr adjustments (without opening the file in camera raw)?

Thanks,

Skyzoomer

• 4. Re: Where does elements 11 store raw adjustments for jpg photos?
                Yammer Level 4

skyzoomer wrote:

Aside from these methods, do either of you (or anyone else) have a suggestion on how to know that a jpg file has imbedded cr adjustments (without opening the file in camera raw)?

Look at them in Bridge. Adjusted photos will have the little settings icon in the corner.

• 5. Re: Where does elements 11 store raw adjustments for jpg photos?
                  skyzoomer Level 1

Yammer P wrote:

skyzoomer wrote:

Look at them in Bridge. Adjusted photos will have the little settings icon in the corner.

Unfortunately, I'm using Photoshop Elements 11 which only has the "Organizer" and not "Bridge".  I just viewed the folder in Organizer and it does not display any icons on the images.

Thanks much for your response,

Skyzoomer