18 Replies Latest reply on Jun 12, 2013 5:15 AM by valeriyastoo

Difficulty uploading from an iPhone

Cindyg22 Level 1

I need help uploading video from an iPhone 5 to Premiere Elements 11. 

I started a new project.  As per ATR's instructions, I set the project settings like this:  NTSC, DSLR, 1080p, DSLR 1080p30.

Then I choose Add Media, Video from Flip or Cameras.  My phone is correctly identified, but I have the error message, "Premiere Elements has encountered an error. [..\..\Src\Win\WinPathUtils.cpp-525]"  There is a "Continue" button, which I clicked.    Then PE crashes. 

I used Task Manager to close the program, restarted PE, reset the new project settings (as above), and tried again.  This time I got the error message, "Adobe Premiere Elements 11 has stopped working."

I tried a third time.  Again, "Adobe Premiere Elements has stopped working."

If instead I choose Add Media, Photos from Cameras or Devices, then select my iphone, I get the error message, "No valid files found." 

If instead, I choose Add Media, Files and Folders, and select the file, it uploads just fine.

Is it possible to add iPhone videos to the timeline without copying them to the computer first?

• 1. Re: Difficulty uploading from an iPhone
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

This is the challenge of starting a new thread for an old problem. Now we have to establish your specs all over again.

What operating system are you using? If Windows, have you manually gone to Windows Update to ensure you have all of the updates, not just the ones that install automatically?

Have you got the latest version of Quicktime?

I've edited iPod Touch video with no problems on both a Windows 7 and Max OSX computer using Premiere Elements, so it will work.

Yes, you can copy the video files from the phone to your computer using Windows Explorer or Finder and then just Add Meda/From Files and Folders, if that works for you.

• 2. Re: Difficulty uploading from an iPhone
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Cindyg22

Just saw your new thread.

How are you getting your iPhone 5 video to the computer hard drive save location?

Are you using the same USB cable that you used for the direct transfer to Premiere Elements 11 with the Add Media/"Videos from Flip or Camera"/Video Importer?

Or are you using Bluetooth for the transfer from iPhone to computer hard drive?

I have an iPod Touch 4th generation, and I can make a USB 2.0 connection between the computer and the iPod, have the iPod come up as a portable drive, and have Premere Elements 11 Windows recognize that iPod portable drive in the Source of the Video Importer. Do you have iTunes and does iTune open when you plug in the iPhone 5? I was given the iPod as a gift with the remark that it was really a iPhone without the phone. This iPod captures 720p video with a variable frame rate. The import aspect seems to work whether I have set the project preset or whether I let Premiere Elements 11 do it for me. Premiere Elements 11 typically gets it wrong, giving me a 1080i30 project for my 1280 x 720 @ 24 progressive frames per second.

We will watch for your progress.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On..I forgot to ask "What is the duration of the video that you are importing into Premiere Elements 11 via that Video Importer?"

• 3. Re: Difficulty uploading from an iPhone
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Cindyg22

Not sure if the following would help, but consider deleting the preference file (Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs). This is a classic remedy for unexplained Premiere Elements problems.

The Windows 7 64 bit path to the file is:

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 11.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete.

Make sure that you are working with the Folder Options Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives On.

ATR

• 4. Re: Difficulty uploading from an iPhone
                Cindyg22 Level 1

ATR,

I tried deleting the PE11 Preference file as you suggested.  That didn't help.  So let me answer your questions.

Operating System:  Windows 7, and, yes, it's up to date.  I just checked. 

Quicktime:  Yes, up to date

How did I get the video from the phone to the computer?  I copied the file from the phone to my desktop, as if the phone were a removeable drive.  The file plays/loads fine from there.

Same USB cable?  Yes.

Using Bluetooth?  No.

Does iTunes open when you plug in the phone?  Yes.

The duration of the video?  I've tried many over the past few days, varying from 5 seconds to 58 minutes, all with the same results.

I appreciate any advice you can give me.

• 5. Re: Difficulty uploading from an iPhone
                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This MAY help...

Iphone won't edit easily because it uses a variable frame rate

- A fix in message #22 http://forums.adobe.com/thread/934466

• 6. Re: Difficulty uploading from an iPhone
                    Cindyg22 Level 1

John,

Thank you for your suggestion.  <<open file into quicktime, goto save as, save as refrence video. Done>> (from another thread)

I tried that, but found that I only have the QuickTime player, not the full version of QuickTime.  That means I can't SaveAs.  Is it possible that that is actually part of my problem?  I do a lot of video editing (though not professionally; just as a hobby).  Do I need to go ahead and buy the full version of QuickTime?

• 7. Re: Difficulty uploading from an iPhone
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Cindyg22

You may or may not be dealing with a iPhone 5 .mov video with a variable bitrate. You can find out for sure by downloading and installing the free MediaInfo and that will tell you in the Tree View of the properties readout.

http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en

But, you have said that, if you use Premiere Elements 11 Add Media/Files and Folders, everything is fine. Am I correct on that? So why bother with QuickTime Pro? Using the Add Media/Files and Folders seems a far easier and quicker thing to do if you cannot use the Video Importer to bring your iPhone 5 video into a new project.

Maybe I need to do a re-read of the link that was cited, but, although there are some buzz words like variable frames rates in it, that is the limit of its relationship to your question about why yes to Add Media/Files and Folders and no to Video Importer. That thread goes to out of sync audio. Yours goes to a program that shuts down when the video importer is used.

My iPod video is chronically characterized by "variable bitrate" because of the low light shooting situation I find myself in. I should be getting similar files as you. Mine are 720p (up to 30 frames per second) and your are 1080p (up to 30 frames per second). I have no problems importing my .mov files either (a) Get Media/Files and Folders or (b) Video Importer - USB 2.0 connections involved.

I just do not see this convert file business. You will not be able to use the Video Importer for that. You will be using Add Media/Files and Folders which you say works. What am I missing? Again, you do not have out of sync audio (at least I do not remember you saying that).

From all that I read, we are not talking about "not editing easily" or "out of sync" video, we are talking about your program shutting down related to use of the Video Importer.

That QuickTime import/export appearly was used to get a video with a fixed frame rate. Whatever the case, that choice did work for that user to get the in sync audio. Another route which worked for another was setting a frame rate in Interpret Footage. But, out of sync audio does not seem to be a problem for you right now. It might not ever be an issue for you??

I am still not sure on the why for that.

Please review and then let me know if you think that I missed some important parts of this issue and possible remedy specific to your problem.

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: Difficulty uploading from an iPhone
                        Cindyg22 Level 1

ATR,

It is true that I have a way to add clips to the timeline:  Add Media/Files and Folders.

So why pursue this problem?  I can totally live with ^that method.  However, the fact that I cannot use the other two methods PLUS the fact that I have numerous P.E. problems made me think that something significant is wrong that I don't yet understand.  I am not a technical person.  I cannot anticipate which problems are related.

<<From all that I read, we are not talking about "not editing easily" or "out of sync" video, we are talking about your program shutting down related to use of the Video Importer.>>

I haven't gotten to everything yet.  Yes, I do have audio and video out of sync.  Or I did.  Since fixing my project settings, I'm hoping maybe that is already fixed too.

<<My iPod video is chronically characterized by "variable bitrate" because of the low light shooting situation I find myself in.>>

I normally shoot outdoors, though occasionally at sundown.

I downloaded Media Info as you suggested.  I don't know what info is significant, so I'll give you the screenshots

And thank you again (everyone) for your help. 

Capture.PNG

Capture.PNG

Capture.PNG

• 9. Re: Difficulty uploading from an iPhone
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Cindyg22

Thanks for the screenshots.

The following portion of your readout indicates that you iPhone 5 video is characterized by a "variable frame rate".

VariableFrameRate.JPG

You would expect to see just Frame rate: 29.970 or 30 frames per second if the variable frame rate was in effect, no min or max readout.

I goofed in post #7 when I wrote about my iPod video referring to "variable bitrate". That should have read "variable frame rate". Nonetheless no problem with that iPod video with my Premiere Elements 11 Windows.

Let us see how you do with the project preset that we have been discussing and  Add Media/Files and Folders. Let us get beyond the program crashing or denying you access to the workspace.

If you run into an audio out of sync issue in the editing process, then, before going the conversion route, I would try right clicking the file in Project Assets, selecting Interpret Footage, and, in the Interpret Footage dialog, set the Frame Rate for 29.97 frames per second.

Thanks for the follow up.

ATR

• 10. Re: Difficulty uploading from an iPhone
                            Cindyg22 Level 1

Something is very, very wrong.

I tried changing the frame rate, as you suggested (ATR).  The video on the timeline was very, very choppy.  So I changed it back.  Still choppy. 

So I thought I might ignore the choppy-ness and do a little pan and zoom.  I clipped off a short section of video -- maybe 15 seconds.  When I went to Pan and Zoom (which I have successfully used before, though not with iPhone footage), it played footage NOT in the clip I selected.

I assumed this was user error.  Perhaps I accidentally deleted the footage I meant to zoom.  Or perhaps I selected the wrong clip.  But, no, it happened again.

I assume this is a sync error.  (?) 

I think something very fundamental is wrong -- which is causing P.E. to not set up my project settings correctly (which we talked about in a previous thread), and to not upload videos from my phone normally, and to not sync my audio properly (which we haven't discussed yet).

Suggestions?

• 11. Re: Difficulty uploading from an iPhone
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Cindyg22

Do you have any non iPhone video that you can use as a control to see if you run into the same issues that you are having now?

That would be one way of ruling out that these problems are related specifically to iPhone 5 video.

Have we talked about deleting the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file? If we have not, you could give that a try. That is a classical approach to remedying problems without unknown origins. If we have not done that, the route to the file to be deleted is (in Windows 7 64 bit):

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 11.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete.

Make sure to be working with Folder Options Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives On so that you can see the complete path to the file.

How did you install the program? Was it from an installation disc or from purchased downloaded and installed installation files from Adobe?

You might

a. Open a new project and go to Help Menu/Deactivate. After Deactivating, close the program.

b. Uninstall the program via the typical Control Panel route.

c. Reinstall the program (making sure that antivirus and firewalls are Off during these operations).

If the problem is confined only to the iPhone 5 video then we could look at that specifically and hold off on the uninstall/reinstall for the moment. Right now I would opt for the uninstall/reinstall if the deletion of the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file has no influence on your problems.

We will be watching for your results.

Thanks.

ATR

• 12. Re: Difficulty uploading from an iPhone
                                Cindyg22 Level 1

Yes, I have been able to work with video taken with a flip phone without these problems.

Yes, I already deleted the Prefs file.

I downloaded this copy of Premiere Elements.  No disks. 

I have already uninstalled and reinstalled Premiere Elements, though I didn't know to Deactivate.  (Do I really need to do that again?)

Given all this, given that it is a variable frame rate, should I purchase Quick Time Pro and Save As a reference file?

• 13. Re: Difficulty uploading from an iPhone
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Cindyg22

I take it that the matching of the project preset with the properties of your iPhone 5 has not resolved your iPhone 5 - Premiere Elements issues.

From the troubleshooting that you have described to date, the QuickTime Pro import/save of your iPhone 5 video clip(s) would seem the next step. No guarantees since that remedy was suggested for iPhone video with out of sync audio, and your situation includes more than that.  I have not found a tryout version of QuickTime Pro, but the cost of the program is relatively inexpensive at about $30.00 (US dollars).

iPhone 4S link comment would suggest that the QuickTime Pro purchase might be an investment

All I had to do was open the original movie file in Quicktime, save it and BAM — its framerate was no longer variable. My iPhone movies work beautifully in After Effects. Everything is right and wonderful in the world again.

But, I wonder if "Everything is right and wonderful in the world again." relates back to the specific issue of that thread out of sync audio. The other remedies in that thread include: changing the file name to .mpg and setting a frame rate in Interpret Footage.

We will continue to watch for further developments.

Thanks again for the follow up.

ATR

• 14. Re: Difficulty uploading from an iPhone
                                    Cindyg22 Level 1

Yes, I have tried your project settings suggestions.  I thought it helped on my first question, but it did not resolve everything permanently.  And it raises a question in itself -- why doesn't Premiere Elements set the project settings correctly when it encounters my iPhone footage?

I am going to try the QuickTime suggestion next.  I'll report back.  Cross your fingers for me.

• 15. Re: Difficulty uploading from an iPhone
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Cindyg22

Looking forward to the QuickTime results.

Unless the program can identify the criteria that it is looking for, it defaults to the program's default of 1080i30 (when setup for NTSC). That is the way it is. What I found in this regard can be found in my blog post on that subject...not sure if I referred you to that before:

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/04/pe11-accuracy-of-automatic-project.html

In the blog post I gave several examples of what I ran into.

Wishing you success with QuickTime.

ATR

• 16. Re: Difficulty uploading from an iPhone
                                        Cindyg22 Level 1

Well, I gambled my $30 on QuickTime Pro, but I did not get the miracle cure I hoped for.

I opened a video clip in QuickTime and saved it as a reference movie.  I put that on the P.E. timeline, and it was so choppy it only changed screens about one frame every 10 seconds.

So I started a new project and changed the project settings as ATR suggested (DSLR 1080p30), and brought in the same clip.  It was still choppy, but now changing screens at the rate of about one frame per second.

Am I the only person trying to use iPhone 5 video?  Is it relevant that the iPhone 5 has a new wider screen?  Is that an issue here?  (That's actually why I am using it.)    I'm very bummed.

• 17. Re: Difficulty uploading from an iPhone
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Cindyg22

Please check your private messages here at Adobe for one from me regarding a possible way to expedite your troubleshooting.

Sorry that your news was not better, but there will be an answer.

Do not give up.

Thanks.

ATR

• 18. Re: Difficulty uploading from an iPhone
                                            valeriyastoo

The best solution is Audials software.It ables to download and  convert M4V iTunes videos to MP4 and multiple other formats.

http://audials.com/en/how_to_record_stream_capture_music_videos_movies_from/apple_itunes.h tml