3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 14, 2007 6:22 PM by pixlor

NOOB - MX2004 Fireworks - How to Fill Vector Shapes

Joe@Retroman
      I am a complete noob to this application, so please forgive the possible idiocy of this question - but I am having no luck.

Project - Modifying the main top banner file for a new web site - I have a logo created for a project, drawn on a transparent canvas - within this png file there are some lines joined to create shapes. If I attempt to fill these areas, the lines will "fill", but the space captured by the lines does not.

Goal - make these areas opaque, as part of the logo.

Any assistance or tricks (but not points to my idiocy) are appreciated!

Best -

Joe
        • 1. NOOB - MX2004 Fireworks - How to Fill Vector Shapes
          heathrowe Most Valuable Participant
          Hey Joe, when you select the Vector Object, have a look down in the Property Inspectors panel.

There is two options, Fill Options for the main vector shape, and Stroke Options for the outline.

Simply select the object/layer and apply your choice of fill.
          However if your object is an 'open' path object then the Fill option will not fill correctly? Is this what you are seeing?

h
          • 2. Re: NOOB - MX2004 Fireworks - How to Fill Vector Shapes
            Level 7
            Joe@Retroman wrote:
            > I am a complete noob to this application, so please forgive the possible idiocy
            > of this question - but I am having no luck.
            >
            > Project - Modifying the main top banner file for a new web site - I have a
            > logo created for a project, drawn on a transparent canvas - within this png
            > file there are some lines joined to create shapes. If I attempt to fill these
            > areas, the lines will "fill", but the space captured by the lines does not.

Fireworks will only fill closed paths. Simply joining the lines doesn't
            create a closed path. Zoom in so you can see the ends of the lines, and
            then choose the Subselection tool. Click on two lines you want to join
            to select them.

O--------------------O O-----------------------O

Next, click on the two circles next to each other (the anchor points),
            Once they are selected, choose Modify > Combine paths > Join.

--
            Linda Rathgeber [PVII] *Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks*
            --------------------------------------------------------------
            http://www.projectseven.com
            Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
            CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
            http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/
            --------------------------------------------------------------
            • 3. Re: NOOB - MX2004 Fireworks - How to Fill Vector Shapes
              pixlor Level 4
              So...if I understand you correctly, the situation is something like this: You've made a logo by overlapping (and possibly joining) some vector shapes and lines. You can select and color the lines, but you also want to color the space that is inside. As a simple example, if you made three long, skinny rectangles and arranged them to form a triangle, you can color the rectangles, but you want to know how to color the trapped triangular space?

Fireworks is different from bitmap editing programs in that the space between objects isn't anything. Since there isn't anything there, there's nothing you can color. You need to make an object. Select all the pieces of your logo and group them. This keeps them nice and tidy. Then, use the vector path tool, or a combination of squares and circles, and the Modify > Combine Paths menu commands to build up an object that is the shape that you want to color. Since this new object will go behind your logo, you only need the edges to be accurate enough to be hidden behind the width of the lines in the logo. Once you have your new object, move it behind your logo.