11 Replies Latest reply on Jun 9, 2013 10:47 AM by artmar4

problem with nvidia video card GTX670 in PS CC

artmar4

I have been using PE10, but have just installed Photoshop CC v. 13.1.2 x64.  Although my video card (nvidia GTX 670, 2 gb RAM) is recognized by Photoshop, when I check "use graphics processor" under "preferences/performance" the converted RAW image is somewhat blurred at all zoom levels (except 100%) compared to when it is unchecked and sharp (for both Canon 1100D and 6D). The problem may possibly reside in the RAW conversion, because if I convert the file with "use graphics processor" unchecked, and then subsequently check it after it has been opened, the image is not blurry and I have access to all of the video card supported functions. Has anyone else experienced this problem, and found a solution?  Thanks, artmar4 (intel i5-3670, 24 gb RAM, Windows 7, 64 bit).

• 1. Re: problem with nvidia video card GTX670 in PS CC
          Level 5

You do not have Photoshop "CC".  "Photoshop v. 13.1.2 x64" is Photoshop CS6 still.

Photoshop CC, which will be Photoshop v 14.x, will be released on June 17.

I cannot advise whether your issue is caused by your video card or not, as I don't do windows.  However, you may want to wait and see how Photoshop CC behaves for you when released in less than two weeks.

• 2. Re: problem with nvidia video card GTX670 in PS CC
            artmar4 Level 1

Thank you for the clarification re Photoshop CS6 vs Photoshop CC. I certainly didn't intend, even tangentially, to enter the fray regarding the latter (about which I'm sitting on the fence --  decided to try it for a year to see whether I like it or not, as purchasing CS6 outright is a bit steep for me).

Still wondering about the strange image display phenomenon I'm experiencing. Not wholly sanguine that the upcoming relase of Photoshop CC will fix it. 

(Guardedly unoptimistic).

• 3. Re: problem with nvidia video card GTX670 in PS CC
              Noel Carboni Level 8

Have you downloaded and updated your display driver from the nVidia web site?  If not, it may be that nVidia has already solved the problem.

Failing that, I have heard of others who have returned their nVidia 3D settings (via the nVidia control panel) to box stock defaults and corrected similar problems.  Photoshop uses OpenGL to do 2D displays, and there could be some cross-coupling with settings intended to affect 3D gaming type applications.

-Noel

• 4. Re: problem with nvidia video card GTX670 in PS CC
                PECourtejoie Adobe Community Professional

Hello, armar4. The GPU preferences require a reboot, it I'm not mistaken.

Did you check the factor of two magnifications, such as 25, 50% or 400%.

In CPU mode, only those use a more accurate algorithm.

• 5. Re: problem with nvidia video card GTX670 in PS CC
                  artmar4 Level 1

Hello Noel,

I've just yesterday updated my display driver. Didn't resolve the problem unfortunately.

I'm not a gamer and haven't (intentionally) changed any of the 3D settings, but will have a look at that as you suggest.

Many thanks --

Art

• 6. Re: problem with nvidia video card GTX670 in PS CC
                    artmar4 Level 1

Hello PECourtejoie,

Great suggestion to check the factor of two magnifications.  Yes, the image is fine at those percentages.

But I want to make sure I'm understanding what you're saying -- in your last sentence, should I substitute "GPU" for "CPU"?  (The image is fine at all zoom levels in CPU mode but the problem occurs only in GPU mode.)

I must admit it's not intuitve to me that the image would be somewhat blurred when clicking on "fit screen" and "fill screen" (but then what do I know.)

Much appreciated!

Art

• 7. Re: problem with nvidia video card GTX670 in PS CC
                      conroy Level 5

artmar4 wrote:

I must admit it's not intuitve to me that the image would be somewhat blurred when clicking on "fit screen" and "fill screen" (but then what do I know.)

The GPU image-interpolation for display is more sophisticated than that of the CPU, but both methods cannot avoid compromising the image quality in some way in order to reduce the scale of an image. The GPU method can produce blurry results whereas the CPU method can produce ragged results.

Both methods produce very good results when the zoom is 100% divided by a power of two. However, "Fit Screen" and "Fill Screen" won't give a nice neat zoom level like that, except on very rare occasions when an image has a particular size relative to the screen.

Here's a (hideous) contrived example of the blurriness of GPU versus the raggedness of CPU. First is the image at 100% zoom. Then the doc on the left of each screenshot is being scaled by the GPU, the doc on the right by the CPU. Click the images to view without forum resampling!

Screen-shot-2013-06-09-at-15.17.58.png

Screen-shot-2013-06-09-at-15.17.24.png

Screen-shot-2013-06-09-at-15.16.36.png

Screen-shot-2013-06-09-at-15.15.52.png

• 8. Re: problem with nvidia video card GTX670 in PS CC
                        Noel Carboni Level 8

artmar4 wrote:

Great suggestion to check the factor of two magnifications.  Yes, the image is fine at those percentages.

It sounds as though you are sensing the nature of the beast, though to be sure you're not seeing more blurring than others you would need to show some screen grabs of your own.

Conroy has illustrated the issue very nicely, with a great example that emphasizes the differences..

That you can easily sense a loss of crispness during resampling for display is one of many reasons manufacturers are starting to roll out high ppi displays (e.g., Apple Retina displays with more than double the ppi of typical monitors).

Some additional info:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5190963#5190963

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2981195#2981195

-Noel

• 9. Re: problem with nvidia video card GTX670 in PS CC
                          Noel Carboni Level 8

FYI, to further confuse the issue, note that the resampling done by every different GPU is not identical.

I took Conroy's first test image, above, displayed it in Photoshop at 55% zoom, screen-grabbed what I see, and put it side by side with Conroy's 55% zoom.  Note the differences, especially in the green texture of the 1.

NoelVsConroy.png

I have an ATI Radeon HD 7850.  I don't know what GPU is in Conroy's Mac, nor do I know whether the differences in drivers that must obviously exist between Mac and PC may affect this issue.  I believe I HAVE heard more folks with nVidia GPUs describe blurring issues.

-Noel

• 10. Re: problem with nvidia video card GTX670 in PS CC
                            conroy Level 5

Noel, my screenshots were of a layered doc but you were displaying a flat doc, hence the big difference between our 55% zooms.

Here's an apples to apples comparison. Both of us displaying my original 100% screenshot at 55% zoom with GPU enabled. They're almost identical. My GPU is by NVIDIA.

NoelVsConroy2.png

• 11. Re: problem with nvidia video card GTX670 in PS CC
                              artmar4 Level 1

Hello Noel and Conroy,

Thanks much. All of this is new, to me, and fascinating and will take a while to digest. (I supose going from PS Elements to CS6 is an instance of "innocence lost").

My initial response is to wonder why a better GPU algorithm cannot be devised, given all the computing power we have at hand (at Adobe and in our desktops), to rescale images such that they are neither so conspicuously ragged nor smoothed? (Although I have to say that in CPU-display-based PS Elements the raggedness was not very conspicuous.)

If that's a foolish questionI I plead naivety.

Cheers,

Art