17 Replies Latest reply on Jun 23, 2013 7:07 AM by lindstrem

Strobe Effects dont render correctly in the final video but in preview window it works perfect...

lindstrem

hi,

i need to use the strobe effect, this is the MAIN reason why i even purchased premiere elements. Now i did my video as i wanted. Right after a zoom-transition comes a strobe effect matching the music,

it looks really nice in the preview window (the one that shows the video while editing inside the preiere elements software). Everything seems to render correctly, i even tried deleting all rendering and re-rendered

the whole video but after uploading to youtube or even the desktop the strobe effect in the final video just doesnt look right, not even close. There is some flickering but definately not a strobe effect.

I tried 25 frames, i tried 30 frames, tried full hd, tried HD, tried mp4, tried flash... nothing seems to work. Whats the deal with that? Any ideas?

I was thinking maybe the strobe effect creates too many frames per sesond for the final 30fps video outcome to capture all the frames caused by strobe???

• 1. Re: Strobe Effects dont render correctly in the final video but in preview window it works perfect...
          A.T. Romano Level 7

lindstrem

First we need to find out what version of Premiere Elements that you are using and on what computer operating it is running?

Then we need to decide if you or the program has set up the project settings correctly. What is the project preset for this project? If you do not remember, then please tell us what is shown for Editing Mode, Timebase, and Frame Size in Edit Menu/Project Settings/General.

What are the properties of the source media that went into that project, especially the video to which you applied the Strobe Effect? If you do not know, you can find out from the properties readout (Tree View) of the free MediaInfo.

http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en

Was your program installed for PAL or NTSC? Please also include file extension.

Let us establish the above and then decide what next if necessary based on your reply. Once the above are ruled in or out as a factor, then we can go deeper into the Strobe Effect settings and your application of it to your video.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Strobe Effects dont render correctly in the final video but in preview window it works perfect...
            lindstrem Level 1

Hi,

thanks for your reply, already appreciated!!

The version is 11. Just bought it yesterday after first having the trial version. I created half the video in trial, then purchased, then entered the serial, then finished my video. Strobe effects were entered before and after the purchase, so shouldnt be that the problem but just for the sake of not leaving out information.

The computer is a PC. Windows 7, 64bit. (though i dont know if the Premiere elements version was a 64 or 32bit that i originaly downloaded as trial, i hope 64 but i couldnt find this info inside the software anywhere)

Once again for the sake of full infos: I use triple screens (PE runs in single monitor), also two graphic cards are involved in crossfire...

The project settings were in the begining kept as set by the software. Later on i did change them, trial on error style... i have 9 saved project versions, so we can go back if needed for other settings.

The current settings that i ended up with after all changes are:

Editing Mode: HD 1080i

Timebase: 25,00 frames/seconds

Frame Size: 1920 by 1080

The propertie of the source info is as per your mediainfo software recommendation:

BDAV: 19.3 MiB, 7s 200ms

1 Video stream: AVC

1 Audio stream: AC-3

1 text stream: PGS

Overall Bit rate: 22.5 Mbps

Maximum Overall bit rate: 24.0 Mbps

First Video Stream

21.3 Mbps, 1920*1080 (16:9), at 25.000 fps, AVC (High@L4.0) (CABAC / 2 Ref Frames)

First Audio Stream

256 Kbps, 48.0 Khz, 16 bits, 2 channels, AC-3

First text Stream

PGS

here is also a screenshot from tree:

screen.jpg

The file extension  is ".MTS" and was taken originally from a SONY HDR-CX 300 series which was originally purchased in japan, therefor is what, pal or ntsc?

I use the adobe software in Austria, Europe so its gotta be PAL right?

-----------------------------

Alright, hope thats all for now and i didnt leave out any questions. Thank you once again for helping and a BIG thank you for detailing out the instructions since

i wouldnt be able to answer half of this if not instructed so well by you! So far everything was very clear to me, or so i think it least... i am a noob here, obviously.

Do you need the video that i am trying to make? and perhaps i can film with the camera my monitor and show you what it looks like while i am previewing the video

and when the effect is working properly...

thanks

best regards

Alex

• 3. Re: Strobe Effects dont render correctly in the final video but in preview window it works perfect...
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Alex

Thanks for the follow up. A lot of great information.

Your project preset 1080i25 seems to be right on with the properties of your source media, they being 1920 x 1080 16:9 @ 25 interlaced frames per second (characterized by Upper Field First). That is good.

Next, let us look at the export settings. I know that you tried several possibilities, but let us pick one and look into the Export Settings used as shown under Advanced Button/Video and Audio Tab. Perhaps what you looked at under:

Publish+Share

Computer

AVCHD

and what you exported in the way of a .mp4 file.

Depending on how things go we will pursue your Strobe Effect settings next if we have ruled out all of the above.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: Strobe Effects dont render correctly in the final video but in preview window it works perfect...
                lindstrem Level 1

Hi,

yeah no, thank you! Not me...

So i did try one more time exporting: AVCHD, 25fps, 1920x1080, mp4

here the screenshots of Video and Audio Tabs:

screen2.jpg

i also just tried creating a whole new project with just a single videofile of 5 seconds with the strobe effect for 3 seconds of it and the outcome was the same... doesnt render right. Just flickering..

thanks

Alex

• 5. Re: Strobe Effects dont render correctly in the final video but in preview window it works perfect...
                  lindstrem Level 1

There is one interesting change thou that i just noticed... In the new project with just the single video file, when exporting the whole thing in AVI (Use for editing in Adobe Premiere Elements) DV PAL WIDESCREEN

THEN IT WORKS FINE IN THE FINAL VIDEO! Which seems strange but i will try that now with the full Video which will take some time but i will let you know afterwards.

Whats the difference? Can I use AVI to upload youtube/facebook? Cause if i can, then it will be sufficient... oh but, then its not full HD, right? Or is it possible to get full HD in AVI aswell?

thanks

• 6. Re: Strobe Effects dont render correctly in the final video but in preview window it works perfect...
                    lindstrem Level 1

so yeah, the full video does work when exporting in AVI but the quality is bad since its not full HD

The strobes timing is still a little off compared to the preview (no idea why) but i am trying to tweak it in the meantime.

I also tried exporting as windows media file just to complete all available formats lol

That worked flawlessly, perhaps even better than AVI.

It would be of course still be nice to get a high resolution standard to work with the effects. mp4 or something that we can use on youtube mainly.

Also whats the deal of the FPS settings, i mean if i have it all now set to 25fps but youtube plays all videos in 30 FPS wont that change something to the Video?

If yes, how do i go about it? Can i just change the FPS settings in the adobe and everything is cool again or will this screw up the entire project if i want to change fps afterwards?

Sorry for so many posts but i didnt want to re-edit my postings cause i think its easier to keep track of the progress with the timestamps of the postings. Let me know if that bothers.

Thanks again for helping.

P.s.: I tried to re-export MPEG again in full HD on 25 frames, widescreen PAL... still no luck. Doesnt render the effect properly..

• 7. Re: Strobe Effects dont render correctly in the final video but in preview window it works perfect...
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

linstrem

Thanks for the update on your troubleshooting.

When you export as PAL DV AVI standard or widescreen, the frame size is always going to be 720 x 576.

Please take a look at the following for an .avi export with 1920 x 1080 16:9 @ 25 interlaced frames per second, characterized by Upper Field First.

Publish+Share

Computer

AVI (Scroll down in the list of choices to see)

Presets: = Microsoft AVI

then under the Advanced Button/Video Tab

MicrosoftAVI.JPG

The upload to YouTube will convert your video to a flash format whether you do the upload at the YouTube web site or via an upload of your Premiere Elements 11 Timeline via Publish+Share/Online/YouTube. We can talk about alternative Video codec choices for this .avi if necessary.

See what that looks like at the level of computer playback. If good, then try for the upload of the file to YouTube at the YouTube web site.

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: Strobe Effects dont render correctly in the final video but in preview window it works perfect...
                        lindstrem Level 1

hi,

alright so i manually changed the width and height to full HD on the AVI export settings but when exporting an error came up saying that disc is full.

I didnt believe it, since i had 13GB left on that SSD drive and the video is only 3 minutes long. So i tried again and failed again.

Then i changed the output folder and scratch discs folders all to an external regular non SSD harddrive and it worked. The freakin video has now 32GB for 3 minutes!!!! LMAO

Did i do something wrong? Cause thats absurd isnt it? 32gig?? Not to mention that i wont bother uploading to youtube. rofl

The Video seems to have really nice quality but i cant even playback that video without interuption every second. I think the player just cant handle the amount of data thats coming in per second. lol

I dont think that the strobe effect is working either, i mean i cant tell for sure since it doesnt play smoothly back but i am like 95% sure that the effect has again the same problem as all the other tries with full HD export.

THANKS

• 9. Re: Strobe Effects dont render correctly in the final video but in preview window it works perfect...
                          lindstrem Level 1

you know what, maybe you should just look at the video. Perhaps i forgot to mention something or your schooled eye can see some trouble during the effect or transition or something...

I have a private upload of the video in 480p, its pretty bad, bad lightning etc since its by no means finished but you should see the effect during the 3 minutes being used 5 times,

each time it renders the effect a little differently it appears but anyway, at least that was working and can be seen of what i am trying to get. No idea why its not putting it out in higher resolution.

Is it possible that the effects are only limited to SD and not HD in elements version?

Here is the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nb4i3NBV3qM

here are the timings when the effect comes if you dont have time to watch full video 0:40, 1:18, 1:45, 3:03 and 3:31

i am trying to upload another FLASH HD version to you tube where the effects DONT work properly, for your comparisson. I will post it here when its uploaded.

Hey thanks again for everything! Sorry to be a pain with this... appreciate it!

• 10. Re: Strobe Effects dont render correctly in the final video but in preview window it works perfect...
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

lindstrem

I did not realize that you were working from a SSD, but 32 GB for 3 minutes, but the Video codec was None. If you want to give that another look, try Video Codec = Microsoft Video 1 to see if you get appropriate file size and quality.

It will be good to see the SD vs HD versions to compare the acceptable and not acceptable.

Thanks.

ATR

• 11. Re: Strobe Effects dont render correctly in the final video but in preview window it works perfect...
                              lindstrem Level 1

Hi,

well here is the FLASH HD Version on youtube with the same timings and the effects are not seen right:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOj_8IfOLYI

thanks

in the meantime i will try the Video Codec...

• 12. Re: Strobe Effects dont render correctly in the final video but in preview window it works perfect...
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

lindstrem

Apparently you have the FLASH HD set for YouTube Private which locks me out.

I was able to view the SD YouTube example. It might be because you listed the SD one as Unlisted; whereas the FLASH HD one you listed as Private?

I can view Unlisted from the posted link, not so when YouVideo is set for Private.

ATR

• 14. Re: Strobe Effects dont render correctly in the final video but in preview window it works perfect...
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

lindstrem

I have an idea for you to incorporate into your troubleshooting plans for the day. The idea will either be great or a major dud.

Please try this with the SD as well as the HD version of your project.

Before you export, in the Edit Mode, right click the clip  on the Timeline, select Field Options, and then its Always Deinterlace option. Then proceed to the export.

Thanks.

ATR

• 15. Re: Strobe Effects dont render correctly in the final video but in preview window it works perfect...
                                    lindstrem Level 1

Hi,

i did try it with HD, same difference... not sure what it would effect using this in SD, since SD is working fine but okay, i will try that too.

In about 12 hours i have to catch my flight, i am leaving for 6 days. Guess we wont figure it out today, if so you will have some time to

maybe come up with other solutions If you will...

Sorry and thanks for all the tries. I am still here though for a few hours, if you wonna have a go at something else

TY

Alex

• 16. Re: Strobe Effects dont render correctly in the final video but in preview window it works perfect...
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

lindstrem

In the next few days, I will try to devote a whole block of time to the Strobe Effect SD vs HD and any and all related factors.

I will take another look at your video samples that you posted.

Have safe travel.

ATR

• 17. Re: Strobe Effects dont render correctly in the final video but in preview window it works perfect...
                                        lindstrem Level 1

HI ATR!

I'm a while back from my vacation and after sorting out the aftermath work stress i have finally time again to concentrate on my video problem.

Not sure if you found time to think about it but let me know if you have any new advice...

Appreciate it, as always...

best regards

ALEX