6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 9, 2013 1:45 PM by A.T. Romano

Clip and timeline marker inconsistencies

mikecox_ Level 1

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premiereelements/using/WS577D23E8-5A07-4ff8-A962-4A46F814AE6E. html

I have reviewed the manuals coverage on clip markers but there seem to be inconsistencies in the process; especially in the removal process.

http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=1FllkWE3DmTWPG4UGKVPskUSHT5nU0

Working inside the source image, in the clip editork I tried removing un-numbered markers by selection "next" marker, then clearing/current; but Current is greyed out.  I also tried clearing "numbered" makder and that doesn't work either. Finally I tried clearing them all, they that dud work 

I don't understand what I'm doing wrong, or if I'm just expecting what isn't possible in the  souce clip.

• 1. Re: Clip and timeline marker inconsistencies
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Michael

Basics (Premiere Elements 11 Expert view)

If you add unnumbered marker to the Edit Workspace Timeline, you will be placing a "blue" marker at the top edge of the Edit WorkspaceTimeline and it is not represented in the Preview Window when you open the Preview Window.

If you add unnumbered marker to the Timeline in the Preview Window, you will be placing a "grey" marker not only in the Preview Window but also in the lower portion of the Edit Workspace Timeline.

For now, I am assuming that you want to delete the "grey" unnumbered markers from the Preview Window (as they are deleted from the Preview Window, they will at the same time be deleted in the Edit Workspace Timeline.

The major thought to keep is that the Timeline Indicator (CTI) must be at the location of a marker in order to delete it.

a. If you right clicked the Preview Window as you did to bring up a list of options, selected "Clear Clip Marker", and found "Current Marker" greyed out, that meant that the CTI was not on any marker. So, you go to "Go to Clip Marker" where you will find the options for Next or Previous. If your CTI is beyond the last unnumbered marker, your only choice will be Previous. If your CTI is before a marker or markers, you will have the choice of Next or Previous. This will put the CTI on that unnumbered marker.Then "Clear Clip Marker" and "Current Marker".

I had no problems with Clear Clip Marker/All Markers.

The "blue" unnumbered marker were cleared in the Edit Workspace Timeline. The "blue" unnumbered marker of the Edit Workspace Timeline cannot be deleted from the Preview Window.

I have done a complete run through on the above, using Premiere Elements 11 and do not see any "Clip and Timeline Marker Inconsistencies".

Please review and let us know the results.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Clip and timeline marker inconsistencies
            mikecox_ Level 1

I do not have a video in the time line. So I am not dealing with blue markers.

http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=19cuwFFaeg7TZCZFG5eqpd6ePrUZIB

a. If you right clicked the Preview Window as you did to bring up a list of options, selected "Clear Clip Marker", and found "Current Marker" greyed out, that meant that the CTI was not on any marker. So, you go to "Go to Clip Marker" where you will find the options for Next or Previous. If your CTI is beyond the last unnumbered marker, your only choice will be Previous. If your CTI is before a marker or markers, you will have the choice of Next or Previous. This will put the CTI on that unnumbered marker.Then "Clear Clip Marker" and "Current Marker".

What I am doing is adding markers to the source clip only, because, as I understnad it, the markers remain in the source clip, and moving souce clips to the timeline moves the markers along with the clip; while leaving them in the source clip for future use in another timeline.  The down side to marking the source clip is that it is not possible to add comments to source markers.

So, considering that scenario: I must move the CTI off the current marker in order for the option GoTo/Next; or Previous, to work. 

In other words, once i have moved to the Next marker and cannot move to the next marker again; unless I move the CTI off the current marker.  At least that is what happens when I try to move to the next marker.

I can go to a numbered marker without moving the CTI off the current markder, but I can't go to a Next marker unless I've moved the CTI off the current marker.

Here's an example of inconsistent, and unexpected behaviour!  The last 3 markers are "un-numbered", the first 2 are numbered.

http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=1pGNDiOQ2YdotZULtKapWFx24wXR2

• 3. Re: Clip and timeline marker inconsistencies
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Michael

It is late right now where I am. I will work through your latest details in the light of day and report back.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Clip and timeline marker inconsistencies
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Michael

Regarding your understanding of markers remaining in "the source clip".

You wrote

What I am doing is adding markers to the source clip only, because, as I understnad it, the markers remain in the source clip, and moving source clips to the timeline moves the markers along with the clip; while leaving them in the source clip for future use in another timeline.

We need to make sure that we are on the same page with the part about "....while leaving them in the source clip for future use in another timeline". As I see it, there is only one Timeline in a project in the Expert view. So, what you wrote seems to imply that the source clip with these markers in Project Assets can be used in another project which I do not see as possible. You can drag source clip (with the markers) from Project Assets to the Timeline of that particular project but it is not going outside that project. So, did you mean "....while leaving them in the source clip in Project Assets for dragging to the project's Timeline track?

Adobe documentation

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premiereelements/using/WS577D23E8-5A07-4ff8-A962-4A46F814AE6E. html

states

Markers you add to a source clip appear in each instance of the clip that you subsequently add to the movie. Adding markers to a source clip doesn’t affect instances of the clip already in a movie.

and

If you added the marker to the source clip, it is saved in the clip and is visible in all subsequent instances of the clip in the Expert view timeline.

Regarding your working with the unnumbered and numbered markers, I cannot confirm your results in many tries including those specific to your screenshot with description

"In this setting I have moved the CTI of the Current marker (the one on the left) but when I goto/next the CTI moves BACK, not to NEXT but to PREVIOUS"

I do not to find that to be the case here. What I see here is detailed in post #1.

If you have not already, you could try the classic deleting of the preference file. To do that in Windows 7 or 8 64 bit, the route would be:

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 11.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete.

Make sure that you are working with Folder Options Show Hidden Files, Folders and Drives ON so that you will see the complete path to the file.

Are there any additional details of your situation that you might not have yet presented. Are you having any problems with your workflow aside from your working with these markers for the source media?

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: Clip and timeline marker inconsistencies
                  mikecox_ Level 1
                  As I see it, there is only one Timeline in a project in the Expert view.

Understood

Maybe the confusion rests with the nomenclature. If the clip in the Project Assets is called the "source clip", what is the clip on the timelijne called: the "movie"?

the source clip with these markers in Project Assets can be used in another project which I do not see as possible.

Yes, you are right; I opened a new project and added a clip that I had marked up and there were no marks in it.  So yes; the marks in the source clip remain unchanged as they are dragged to the timeline, while the marks on the timeline “appear only in that instance of the clip.” So I see that the marked up source clip becomes a part of the project and the original is unaffected.

Regarding your working with the unnumbered and numbered markers, I cannot confirm your results in many tries including those specific to your screenshot with description

Ok, I opened a new project, added a bunch of numbered and un-numbered marks and could not duplicate what happened previously,  Then I opened the project where I was having the problem with and it behaved as expected.

I don't understand why it was missbehaving yesterday??

If you have not already, you could try the classic deleting of the preference file.

I have not, but I don't know what "classic deleting" is, or what would change if I follow your instruction; so I didn't do it.

Are there any additional details of your situation that you might not have yet presented.  Are you having any problems with your workflow aside from your working with these markers for the source media?

Not at this point because; in an effort to not to get ahead of myself, I am trying to markup all the clips I have in the segment of the project I am working on, before proceeding to the editing process. Otherwise  I just keep stabbing in the dark; with no organized “workflow”.

It appears that this problem has been resolved, so I will move on to the next step; editing the clips.  Marking them up is like prepping ingredients before putting them together from a recipe.

Thank-you for addressing this post for me, as always; I very much appreciate you help.

• 6. Re: Clip and timeline marker inconsistencies
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Michael

Thanks for the follow up. Glad to learn everything is OK with the workflow.

As for that "classical deleting", that is an often effective cure for events that defy explanation. In doing that, you are deleting the Premiere Elements preferences file - similar to what you are used to in Photoshop Elements Windows Full Editor with the Ctrl+Alt+Shift hold down feature. I find the deletion of the Adobe Premiere Elements Pref file at its hard drive save location best to take care of the matter in Premiere Elements rather than any combination of keys (which may or may not work).

Continued success.

ATR