2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 9, 2013 1:17 PM by Rick Gerard

Isolating skin

Mazgrrr

I'm looking to get the same effect I have made on a still of my footage in photoshop.

I used the filter gallery and glowing edges, I then history brushed the skin of my subject and it now looks exactly how we needed it to look.

I now want to apply this to the rest of my footage but am having trouble isolating the skin before applying the effect (which doesnt seem to be the same in after effects, glowing edges?.) Before I dive in like a crazy person and do this frame by frame in photoshop, will someone please save my life and tip me on how to isolate the skin, not just the colour? Rotoscoping seems to be an option to a degree but its not traacking on the shots too welll simply on the skin and wants to jump to the whole person.

Sorry for those of who this is obvious, please let me out of my frame by frame predicament lol

Thanks so much!

Mazie

• 1. Re: Isolating skin
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Either simply buy a specialized "beauty" plug-in (GenArts Sapphire Beauty, Digital Anarchy Beauty Box, Boris Continuum, Magic Bullet Cosmo) or learn to mangle channels using suitable effects. E.g. you could convert your image to a HSL representation using Channel Combiner, apply a Levels effect to define your "selection" parameters similar to PS' Color Range, then convert it back to RGB with another Channel Combiner and then use the result as a Matte on whatever blur effect on a duplicate layer you fancy to smooth your skin/ create a soft glow...

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Isolating skin
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Depending on your shot you can also use some procedural matting to isolate skin on a separate layer. Colorista has the ability to key skin and only apply color correction and pop to the skin.

Compositing is all about learning to separate elements in the scene. A good understanding of the use of color or luminance channels to generate procedural mattes is critical to your success.

If a procedural matte cannot be created then you'll need to do some roto work. A procedural matte is a matte created by manipulating pixel values through a procedure, roto is a matte created by drawing on a scene with a mask or brush.

Here's a screenshot that shows how color range key and a little box blur was used to create a track matte to reveal only the skin tones from a copy of the footage that was then blurred and screened over the original footage to create a brighter and glowing skin tone for my daughter. The instruments and the clothing are not effected so they remain sharp and at their normal tones. Curves were applied to the whole scene with an adjustment layer to give the final look. This is just one of hundreds of ways to pull a procedural matte to isolate areas in a scene so they can be modified.

Screen Shot 2013-06-09 at 1.04.25 PM.png