12 Replies Latest reply on Jun 13, 2013 8:51 PM by JJMack

Now I have CS2, there are problems I would like help with please!

jmatcham

I used to have Photoshop CS set for Apple RGB and have done this again,

I also had it set for my Printer Epson Photo 1800

The nearest thing I can see to this on CS2 is under ColourHandling: Let Printer determine colours

Is that the same thing?

In Page set-up Landscape is greyed out. Can't be done.

I think that it is something to do with CS2 not recognising my printer.

When I go to the PRINT page it offers three drop-down alternatives:Microsoft Office Doc Image Writer, Microsoft XPS Document writer and ... Epson ESC/P

I chose Epson as being nearest guess! Then going on to Properties it tells me to update Drivers...which didn't work starting from there...Epson looked but didn't find.

And none of the printing choices are around...so I guess it is CS2 not recongising my Printer???

Should I just go to Epson and try to sort out a download for a new driver?

I don't want to make matters worse!

Also what is 'Bridge'???

• 1. Re: Now I have CS2, there are problems I would like help with please!
          PECourtejoie Adobe Community Professional

hello, I will answer your last question. bridge is a very powerful file browser that can rename, batch process etc. see: http://www.creativepro.com/article/take-charge-bridge

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Now I have CS2, there are problems I would like help with please!
            JJMack Most Valuable Participant

With CS2 printing there are two things you need to be concerned with.

Your default system printer its driver and its settings.

Photoshop CS2 print setup best done using menu File>Print with Preview.

When your ready to print on your windows system use the start button devices and printers option and set the default printer to your Epson printer right click on it and select printer preferences.  I set the paper print quality to max and set color management off using custom and pull down and select no color management by the device driver.

Then I use CS2 menu File Print with preview with more options I Set Photoshop manages colors and set paper profile

printer.jpgcs2print.jpg

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Now I have CS2, there are problems I would like help with please!
              jmatcham Level 1

Thank you.

I have now downloaded the Printer drivers. I had just recovered from a serious crash! and transfered data to a new disk (thanks to my IT guru) upon which I hadn't realised we hadn't loaded Printer driver. I do try to do some of it myself!

With great relief I see the settings on PS I am used to and hadn't really realised until now were to do with the printer and not Photoshop!

The thing is, that I am more concerned with the editioned designs (pictures) I have already created and which I could print identically using the settings I have made careful note of. The settings do seem to be there.

I am too exhausted with seemingly endless problems to actually face printing and maybe finding my carefully proofed colours are er ...messed up!

I am sure there is a better way of achieving what I achieve, more reliable, but as I am on my own in this. I am rather over pragmatic in my approach. The results are honed to what I want, but one small alteration in settings can throw everything awry as I know only too well! That is what I fear.

In the last installation where it says Colour Handling, there was a huge drop down list to choose from and, ignorant of the differences, I simply chose to elect my printer Epson Photo 1800. Now I have achoice of three Let Printer determine colours, Photoshop, or No colour Management. I chose the first option as what seemed nearest to what my previous setting was. But I can only pray!

Apart from that, I do use the paper settings etc...Somerset coated paper and so on.

If you see what I do you will understand...juliamatcham.wordpress.com

I am not sure how 'no colour management would work for me.

Thanks anyway. So much I don't know! Doubtless I will be back for more!

• 4. Re: Now I have CS2, there are problems I would like help with please!
                jmatcham Level 1

Thanks for the Introduction to Bridge ...I think I will steer clear of it! My demands on PS are not complex and inevitably what I see on screen is only an approximation of what I print. I am used to refining the results visually and which also depend on the paper I am printing on.

Bridge looks like it is for people who are a great deal cleverer than I am!

Thanks though. Good to have an idea of it.

• 5. Re: Now I have CS2, there are problems I would like help with please!
                  OldBob1957 Level 4

Hello again. Nice to see you are getting things sorted.

jmatcham wrote:

... Now I have a choice of three; (A) Let Printer determine colours, (B) Photoshop, or (C) No colour Management.

Of course the obvious answer here is to take your smallest print, or a color-critical section thereof, and run it once with each setting. Just to see where each one lands you relative to your previous setup. Like you, my bet would be on either A or B.

Again, good luck.

--OB

• 6. Re: Now I have CS2, there are problems I would like help with please!

jmatcham wrote:

Now I have achoice of three Let Printer determine colours, Photoshop, or No colour Management. I chose the first option as what seemed nearest to what my previous setting was. But I can only pray!

You need to be careful there.  If you do not set the Printer driver to No color Management and you choose Photoshop manages colors in Photoshop CS2 print dialog your image will be double color managed and be messed up.  For the Print Driver will be messing with the Print colors and Photoshop will also be messing with the print colors.

That is why I showed the two screen captures.  Where I turned off Color management in the print driver and have Photoshop mange color in the CS2 print dialog.

If you want the printer to manage colors you need to set the printers color management options in the Printer drivers and set printer manages color in the CS2 print dialog so  Photoshop will not to mess with the colors.

In the newer versions of Photoshop you can set the printer drivers option using printer options button in Photoshop Print Dialog.  Photoshop also shows warning messages about turning off color management in the print driver when Photoshop manages colors.

You do not want no color management where you to turn off color management in the printer driver and then tell Photo that the printer will manage color.

• 7. Re: Now I have CS2, there are problems I would like help with please!
                      Alan Craven Level 4

JJMack,

If you turn off colour management in the printer, is this a global setting (i.e. affects all use of the printer), or is it just turned off for Photoshop?  If it is the former it would make more sense to let the printer driver mange colour?

• 8. Re: Now I have CS2, there are problems I would like help with please!

When you print and want color management you need to make proper settings so that the colors are only managed once.    If the application you print from can manage colors you need to turn off color management in the Print drivers and turn on the applications color management.   If you application does not have have color management features and the file being printed has a color profile you may be able to set the print driver to use imbedded color profile.  If there is not color profile the print driver may offer other color options.   The only time I really care about color is when I print images for display.  I don't care when I print document or web pages.  I print Images from Photoshop on sheet and roll paper from Photoshop. Often I will make several test prints if the image is important to me.  I may try different sharpening and vary a brightness adjustment layer added above the document to tweak colors a bit.  In CS6 I have Photoshop mange the color and turn off color management in the print driver. Note the yellow triangle warning message in the CS6 Print dialog.  That the Documents color profile is ProPhotoRGB that Photoshop is set to manage the colors that the Printer Paper Profile is Premium Glossy Photo Paper 250.  The printer setting button was used to set paper feed from the draw and it is 8.5" x 11"  Photo Gloss 250. The print quality set to max and custom color management is was turned off.

CS6Print.jpg

My other Epson 4800 print driver options:

Epson4800.jpg

• 9. Re: Now I have CS2, there are problems I would like help with please!
                          jmatcham Level 1

Well...problems never cease. I thought I would have the courage to try a print ...I will know emmediately if anything is amiss...BUT my printer (Epson photo1800)has its paper-jam button on, the ink-button flashing (but not still, shouldn't matter) and the on-off button flashing. I have tried everything bar ringing Epson. Curiously it did print a colour check when I held down the paper jam button although my request had not shown up on the Printer 'docs to be printed...and from which I had deleted any queue). The Paper jam button light went off then and I thought I had cured it...but NO! I've looked up Epsons Trouble shooting but nothing useful there...except to do something expensive! I just think the Printer has got mixed up because of the new dowloaded driver.

Ive turned on and off several times and cannot think what else can cause it. If anyone has any ideas...do let me know!

Thanks for your help. I will report back when I eventually succeed in printing something! Meanwhile thanks again. Julia

• 10. Re: Now I have CS2, there are problems I would like help with please!
                            jmatcham Level 1

Got the B. thing to work! No reason...did the exactly same thing as many times before before but now the Printer is standing to attention. Aaaargh! At last.

The first print I have done looks like sigh of relief! Pretty damn near if not identical.

Thank you for listening to me friends.

JJMack, I will read and try to understand what you are saying tomorrow. The thing is Photographs are not quite so critical as finely tuned colours in a picture. I have occasionally accidentally altered a setting and the whole design is altered.

I am so HAPPY! I assume if one translates well so will the others.

Thanks again...I think the people on Forums are wonderful that they are prepared to help dunces like me!

• 11. Re: Now I have CS2, there are problems I would like help with please!
                              jmatcham Level 1

Hi JJMack

Now have overcome the various problems associated with Windows 7...can't use my CS version of PShop they said, then said I could have CS2...and then told me CS2 wouldn't work with Windows 7 ... then ditto my scanner... then my Wacom tablet! At last thanks to an IT friend all my perfectly good old stuff is working again...but there will be hell to pay when ordinary people without 'a friend' go onto Windows 7 next year because none of the companies want to really help you. I can usually help myself but when you get actually told on the chat-help lines by the companies that you can't do it you are left high and dry. And it has taken up days of time. They want you to buy new stuff. Really it is pretty disgraceful.

Be warned anyone upgrading to Windows 7

Anyway thanks. And JJ.  I looked at your settings and they look much the same as mine. I seem to have made some lucky choices in the past which are replicated in the current settings. It seems to be printing identically ...I can hardly believe it!

BTW, How do you get the printer to go straight to advanced settings instead of showing you the basic panel first...and in the CS2 browser I see no way of star -ing your choice?

• 12. Re: Now I have CS2, there are problems I would like help with please!

jmatcham wrote:

BTW, How do you get the printer to go straight to advanced settings instead of showing you the basic panel first...and in the CS2 browser I see no way of star -ing your choice?

There is no way in CS2 itself. While in CS2 you go to the start button Click on devices and Printers then set default printer right click on it then click on Printer preferences to set them.

CS2PrinterPreferences.jpg