7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 15, 2013 10:51 AM by the_wine_snob

Why do I get "Import Errors"?

Tommyvincent Level 1

I just shot 16 clips with my Canon HD camcorder (AVCHD). I put the memory card in my desktop computer (Windows7) after I had PrE11 running. Then I clicked Video Editor/New Project/Videos from Flip cameras, AVCHD cameras.

I saw all my clips and I clicked on some in the Preview window. They played OK. But when I clicked on Get Media I got this message: Import Errors/ Error Message/File already exits at C:\Users\Tommy\Videos\

What's happening? I didn't change the Presets: File Name, and Name:Untitled.

Can someone tell me what to do to get my new clips into the Timeline.

By the way, the clips I just took were the only ones on the memory card.

• 1. Re: Why do I get "Import Errors"?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Tommyvincent

This is my take on your situation based on what I understood from your description:

However you did it (maybe hitting some buttons more than once or other) your videos got imported and saved to C:\Users\Tommy\Videos\. Did you look to see if they were there? If not, please take a look in that area to confirm or refute.

If they are in my video already as I suspect, then you have at least two choices

a. Import them into Premiere Elements  11 with the program's Add Media to get them into Project Assets (correct project preset)

or

b. delete them from C:\Users\Tommy\Videos\ and then repeat the import using Add Media/ and the Video Importer route that you wanted to use.

Please review and let us know the outcome.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Why do I get "Import Errors"?
            Tommyvincent Level 1

I just inserted my memory card in the computer slot and followed the usual procedure. This time everything worked perfectly.

Two things, maybe more, could have been the problem: (1) I may have messed up the Folder List in theOrganizer by dragging and dropping pictures from my hard drive into folders - a dumb thing to do. (2) When I looked for my clips on the hard drive I found them with the Nero Kwik Media icon plastered on the folder. I deleted the Nero stuff. (3) Gremlins.

My clips look OK except for the blue background. I'm going to send for a more neutral color background at Amazon - $25.

A small question - When the CTI is at the end of the series of clips, clicking the Home button does not bring it back to the beginning. If the CTI is anywhere else in the timeline, the Home button brings it back home immediately. Why doesn't the Home button work at the end of the video? 

• 3. Re: Why do I get "Import Errors"?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Tommy,

A small question - When the CTI is at the end of the series of clips, clicking the Home button does not bring it back to the beginning. If the CTI is anywhere else in the timeline, the Home button brings it back home immediately. Why doesn't the Home button work at the end of the video?

Please remind us which version of PrE you are using. I think that it is PrE 11, but want to verify.

Thank you,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Why do I get "Import Errors"?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Tommyvincent

Sounds like good progress there. Just be on guard for any remembrances of dragging from Organizer into folders recently.

As for the CTI and Home and/or End key of the computer while you are using your Premiere Elements 11, that happens to me from time to time with different versions. I have never bothered to stop to analyze it, but, if I click in the vacinity of the track, the Home or End key tap seems to give the appropriate response. Give my little workaround a try to see if that will work consistently for you. Sometimes I wonder if that few seconds for the track click does anything or if I am just giving the project some extra time to finish whatever it was doing.

Thanks for the follow up.

ATR

• 5. Re: Why do I get "Import Errors"?
                  Tommyvincent Level 1

I have PrE 11. The problem with tapping the Home key, though, is a minor one. It doesn't bother me. I'll try the suggested workaround. 

• 6. Re: Why do I get "Import Errors"?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Tommyvincent

Just an add on about getting the Home and End Key to do as wanted.

Note sure if it was mentioned, but just in case, if you do not see the Timeline Indicator and those Home and End Keys are not working, click on the gray bar that runs horizontally at the top of  the Timeline (where the Timecode number are displayed) to bring the Timeline Indicator to the spot where you clicked, and then hit the Home or End Key.

ATR

• 7. Re: Why do I get "Import Errors"?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Tommy,

Thanks for that version info. That was what I thought, but needed clarification.

Like you, I have observed some occasional oddities with Home, End and even the PageUp, PageDn navigation keys. However, I also have an older video driver on this laptop, and the driver support for my OS has ceased, so I chalked up a few of those oddities to my video driver. Maybe not?

ATR makes a great point of making sure that the Timeline has focus. Since PrE does not have the little yellow/orange outline, to indicate focus, that some other NLE's have, I try to make it a habit of doing just as he says, and insure that the Timeline DOES have focus. Still, I get intermittent issues with those navigation keys.

Good luck, and sounds like things are going well for you, with ATR's help. Happy editing,

Hunt