12 Replies Latest reply on Jun 16, 2013 5:35 AM by b2martin_a

How do uninstall ACR 8.1 RC to ACR 7.4?

Alan Tsai

I used ACR7.4 to reinstall by AAM, but it's fail.

The fail code is U44M2P7.

How do uninstall CR8.1 RC to install CR7.4?

Thank you.

• 1. Re: How do uninstall ACR 8.1 RC to ACR 7.4?
          Level 5

Macintosh or Windows?

• 2. Re: How do uninstall ACR 8.1 RC to ACR 7.4?
            Alan Tsai Level 1

Macintosh osX 10.8.4, Photoshop CS6

• 3. Re: How do uninstall ACR 8.1 RC to ACR 7.4?
              Ashutosh.Nigam Adobe Employee

8.1(CS6) is live through AAM now, Please update it through Help->Updates

Regards,

Ashutosh

• 4. Re: How do uninstall ACR 8.1 RC to ACR 7.4?
                Level 5

Provided you kept the previous version of the plug-in (ACR 7.4), it could be as straightforward as swapping the plug-ins. Take the 8.1RC Camera Raw plug-in out of the /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Plug-Ins/CS6 folder and put ACR 7.4 in its place.

Just remember you want the Root Library, the one that is hidden in Mountain Lion 10.8.x, so you'll have to access it through the Go To Folder menu item (Shift+Command+G) in the View menu in the Finder.  You do not want your User or Home Library.

Here's a screen shot of the ACR path on a Mac Book running 10.6.8.  I sliced the very wide screen (originally shot across my dual monitors) in two, then made a composite illustration that would fit on just one monitor for uploading to the forum:

Screen shot 2013-06-09 at 9.09.51 PM.png

If you didn't keep the older version of the ACR plug-in, then you might want to take the 8.1RC plug-in out and keept it in a safe place outside of the application path, then try installing a newly downloaded ACR 7.4 plug-in.  If that doesn't work, then out the 8.1RC plug-in back in and you'll be no worse than you are right now.

Good luck!

• 5. Re: How do uninstall ACR 8.1 RC to ACR 7.4?
                  Level 5

Sorry, I went to have dinner and interrupted my typing of the previous post, so I did not see Ashutosh.Nigam's post before clicking on post.

I assume he means the final release of ACR 8.1 is online now, so you may want to consider that.  If you still want to revert to 7.x, then my suggestion in post #4 applies.

• 6. Re: How do uninstall ACR 8.1 RC to ACR 7.4?
                    Alan Tsai Level 1

It's very useful. Thank you.

• 7. Re: How do uninstall ACR 8.1 RC to ACR 7.4?
                      Level 5

You're most welcome, but I made an error in that post as I forgot that the location of the ACR plug-in has been switched in Lion and Mountain Lion from the Root Library to the User Library.  The screen shot I posted earlier shows Snow Leopard 10.6.8.  My bad.  Sorry.

Therefore, for your Mountain Lion 10.8.4 I should have indicated as follows:

Just remember you want the User Library (~/Library) which is normally hidden from you.  You do not want your Root Library.which is totally hidden from you so you cannot access it.

In your Mountain Lion you'll access that folder through the GO menu in the Finder, like this:

Methods to Temporarily Reveal the ~/Library Folder

Perhaps the easiest way to temporarily reveal the ~/Library folder is to open Finder. On the menu bar, at the top, select Go to reveal the drop-down menu and then hold down the Option key (marked ALT) and you will see the ~/Library folder appear. You may now select this ~/Library folder with your mouse or trackpad.

As soon as you release the Option key, the ~/Library folder will be hidden once more.

FinderGoMenu.jpg

The following link takes you to an illustrated tutorial on accessing the User Library:

http://mac.tutsplus.com/tutorials/productivity/how-to-reveal-your-library-folder-in-lion-o r-mountain-lion/

My apologies for the confusion. 

• 8. Re: How do uninstall ACR 8.1 RC to ACR 7.4?
                        Goos van der Veen Level 1

Do you have Time Machine on? If yes, quit Photoshop, activate Time Machine and select the following folder:

StartUpDisk/Library/Apllication Support/Adobe/Plug-ins

and at the right side of the screen select the last known time before the update. Then click Restore. You may be asked for your admin password.

Activate Time Machine again and do the same for this folder:

StartUpDisk/Applications/Adobe/AdobePatchFiles

That should do the trick.

• 9. Re: How do uninstall ACR 8.1 RC to ACR 7.4?
                          GHQ

Hi

I updated Camera Raw yesterday but had to go back to 7.x because my colors in Bridge was wrong and weird looking ?

Colors was different from one series of photos to another and it was shot on the exact same bagground.

It looked really strange. And colors was also kind of cracked looking a little like if the photo was a lowres picture, but it wasn't. It was a RAW file.

So i couldn use the new Camera Raw 8.x version. I'm on MacPro 10.8.4, Macbook Air 2012 10.8.4 and a iMac 27" 2012 also 10.8.4 all Photoshop CS6 v14.0.5

KR

Erik

• 10. Re: How do uninstall ACR 8.1 RC to ACR 7.4?
                            nathanyan

Do you happen to know how to do this for Windows? Tried following the Mac instructions but they appear very different.    

• 11. Re: How do uninstall ACR 8.1 RC to ACR 7.4?
                              Level 5

nathanyan wrote:

Do you happen to know how to do this for Windows?…

Nope, I've never used Photoshop CS6 on Windows.  Although I do use Windows occasionally on an inexpensive Toshiba laptop—and I used to have to work on Windows boxes when I worked for Uncle Sam up until '05—I've never had to mess with Windows maintenance. 

Yes, Windows is very different, which is why I prefer Macs.   Sorry. 

• 12. Re: How do uninstall ACR 8.1 RC to ACR 7.4?
                                b2martin_a Level 2

What version of Windows are you using?  Do you have the ACR 7.4 plugin or do you have access to a computer that has it installed?