6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 9, 2013 3:47 PM by eshan.mathur

How do I select text in an imported (placed) Photoshop PDF?

eshan.mathur

Hi there,

I'm trying to use InDesign to generate links in a Photshop-created file that needs to eventually end up as a PDF. This is my first time using InDesign. I initially was placing the PSD file itself into InDesign, but quickly realized that the text rasterized upon import. I read somewhere on these boards that importing a Photoshop PDF instead will preserve the text, and this is true. It's clearly vector and I can zoom in as much as I like and see that the text is smooth.

However, in order to create hyperlinks I need to select the text, and I'm unable to do this - the entire imported image is one solid block within a frame. Any ideas?

My workaround should that not be possible is to figure out how to create links from a rectangular area. That would have the same effect, I think.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: How do I select text in an imported (placed) Photoshop PDF?
          Dave Merchant MVP & Adobe Community Professional

You can't dig about inside a placed file - even though the PDF has 'real text' inside it, InDesign treats it as any other graphic frame. Equally, although when you export to PDF the placed file will again appear as 'real text', any interactivity in the placed PDF is destroyed; so creating the links inside the PDF won't help either.

What you're doing isn't the correct workflow, but if you've gone down this route too far to turn back, you have two options to create links that visually align with the content of the placed file - you can use the Link tool in Acrobat (easier, as once you're in the final PDF the text is selectable - then right-click for the context menu with 'create link' at the bottom) or you can create an empty rectangular frame in InDesign, make that frame a hyperlink (select the frame itself, then add a hyperlink using the panel), then position it over the text.

• 2. Re: How do I select text in an imported (placed) Photoshop PDF?
            eshan.mathur Level 1

Thanks, that's good to know. Previously (before involving InDesign), I used the Link tool in Acrobat to generate links. The trouble with this method is that every time I change the PSD and re-export, I lose the links. It's a living document, so this becomes a repetitive and tedious activity.

The reason I wanted to use InDesign at all is because I could have the InDesign file track my links and the PSD just be placed in there, allowing me to update the PSD without obliterating the links when I took it into it's final PDF.

It sounds like given that information, the best solution is to use the rectangular frame as a link. That way I can still update the placed PSD file.

• 3. Re: How do I select text in an imported (placed) Photoshop PDF?
              MW Design Level 4

Of course, another option is to export the PSD or PS PDF without the text layers and use I'd for the text.

• 4. Re: How do I select text in an imported (placed) Photoshop PDF?
                MW Design Level 4

Darn auto correct on my phone. That would be in ID.

And darn forum software. Cannot edit a post using my phone. Says it is an unsupported device for editing...

• 5. Re: How do I select text in an imported (placed) Photoshop PDF?
                  peter minneapolis Level 4

In Acrobat you can replace pages without disturbing "annotations" like form fields, that are placed on top of the text and graphics. I'm not sure if text links are affected by a replacement page. Ask in the Acrobat forum and search Google for terms like "acrobat replacing pages," wihout quotes.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

eshan.mathur wrote:

Thanks, that's good to know. Previously (before involving InDesign), I used the Link tool in Acrobat to generate links. The trouble with this method is that every time I change the PSD and re-export, I lose the links. It's a living document, so this becomes a repetitive and tedious activity.

The reason I wanted to use InDesign at all is because I could have the InDesign file track my links and the PSD just be placed in there, allowing me to update the PSD without obliterating the links when I took it into it's final PDF.

It sounds like given that information, the best solution is to use the rectangular frame as a link. That way I can still update the placed PSD file.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: How do I select text in an imported (placed) Photoshop PDF?
                    eshan.mathur Level 1

Oh, that would be excellent. Clearly now I see that ID is the right choice for text and document style work, supplemented by graphics from Photoshop/Illustrator. It's too late to turn back until I'm ready to start fresh on the document, but for now if Acrobat could swap in graphics underneath existing links that would be the most efficient solution.

I'll look into it. Thanks!