2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 9, 2013 1:53 PM by IsThereAScreenName

Premier Elements 11 trial.  Playback problems; instability problems

IsThereAScreenName

I downloaded the trial version and installed yesterday.  My experience so far is as follows:

• Video tracks I import (h.264) will play fine (although see below.)  Then if I try later they won't: timeline doesn't move, no sound no nothing.  No rhyme or reason to it.  I've tried deleting the project and all media files from Premier and Elements Organiser and trying again.  No luck.  Repeat, and this time they work; I presume at some point they will stop.  I've had even more trouble getting them to play in the organiser.  They have played but now no matter what I do they don't seem to want to: I'd ask if the organiser can play videos or not but I've seen it do it so I know the answer.
      • Launching Premier Elements may cause iTunes and/or Safari to crash.  Or maybe not.  Depends upon the mood it's in I guess....
      • Yesterday, something completely took over the sound output.  Couldn't adjust volume, turn off my external speakers or otherwise get sound out.  When I pressed the volume up button on my keyboard nothing happened, repeat again, nothing happened.  10 mins later the volume adjustment overlay displayed upping volume by 1 notch!  Another 5 mins later the same again!  Bizarre.  Couldn't find a way to get around it: I could launch programs ok but I couldn't logout.  Or Shutdown.  Having seen the delay in the volume dialog I decided that maybe it would shut down when it got the chance so I went for dinner.  Sure enough, on return it had shutdown.

I have (or at least did have) a stable system before installing this program.  It's an iMac on 10.8.3, 32GB RAM and 3.2Ghz 4-core processor. 

Another interesting thing it does is with the playback of my clips.  These are a slideshow of photos: each photo transitions in over 1.5 secs, stays for 2 secs, then transitions out whilst the next one transitions in.  In other words, each photo overlays the previous one and then is displayed for 2 secs.  This is how they play in iTunes, on a DVD etc.  In Premier, the clips register as the same length but each photo transitions in and immediately transitions out with no 2 second pause.  It's as if the transitions have been extended in time so the whole clip remains the same length but consists solely of transitioning images.  Why would it interpret the video differently to other applications? 

I was hoping to switch to this program because the output from iMovie 11 is really bad for dark areas: extremely pixellated and blocky.  The output from Premier doesn't have this but of course the output doesn't play properly so it's a bit moot really. 

I could probably live with this, for this one set of clips, if it wasn't for the other instability problems - do others find similar problems?

Regards

Andrew

• 1. Re: Premier Elements 11 trial.  Playback problems; instability problems
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Andrew

For now I am just focusing on one portion of what you wrote:

Another interesting thing it does is with the playback of my clips.  These are a slideshow of photos: each photo transitions in over 1.5 secs, stays for 2 secs, then transitions out whilst the next one transitions in.  In other words, each photo overlays the previous one and then is displayed for 2 secs.  This is how they play in iTunes, on a DVD etc.  In Premier, the clips register as the same length but each photo transitions in and immediately transitions out with no 2 second pause.  It's as if the transitions have been extended in time so the whole clip remains the same length but consists solely of transitioning images.  Why would it interpret the video differently to other applications?

If you are asking why some programs are characterized by increased Timeline duration when transitions are added to the Timeline of photos and some do not (like Premiere Elements - any version), please check out the following thread on the subject that I wrote while at a forum that I no longer visit nor answer questions at.

http://www.elementsvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72689

If you have any questions about that thread, please ask me here in your thread.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Premier Elements 11 trial.  Playback problems; instability problems
            IsThereAScreenName Level 1

Thanks ATR - not sure I explained my self properly, but here's some background...

I have a DVD that consists of a slideshow of photos from a window.  As above, these seem to transition in over 1 or 1.5 seconds stay for 2 and then the next one transitions in.  I've ripped the DVD using handbrake to a H.264 format so I can play on AppleTV  (no copyright issues by the way!)  The DVD is actually split into 5 titles: 4 of 6 minutes 7 seconds duration and 1 of around 20 seconds duration.  In the DVD of course they play continually appearing as a 24 minute 48 seconds.

The intention was to load all 5 clips into Premier on the timeline and create 1 output.  That actually works (when it works!) so in some respect I can achieve what I want, except.....

Let's take clip 1.  It's 6 mins 7 secs long in iTunes.  In iTunes it plays as expected: each photo transitions in for 1.5 secs, sticks for 2 seconds then the next photo transitions in.  In Premier, the clip is 6 mins 7 secs long.  However, it plays as follows: each photo transitions in then the next photo transitions in without pause.  It seems that the transitions have extended in duration to what appears to be 3.5 secs thus there's no clear point where I can see the photo (a split moment when I could press pause is the only possibility.)

So that question was really: why would Premier take a clip that has been copied from DVD, and which iTunes plays the same as the DVD, and play it back differently?  I read the thread which was useful in explaining how different programs dealt with transitions whilst building up a video/slideshow - perhaps I misunderstood it.

This isn't the main reason for testing Premier actually.  I have a video camera capable of 1080/50p which iMovies can't handle without significant jiggery-pokery.  And the exports are just plain rubbish.  I've just loaded some clips into the Elements organiser - here's another problem which I'll mention here but for which I'll give more feedback on a separate thread later:

• when playing back a clip, the sound will just stop.  Video will continue, but no sound.  If I pause it, reset the play marker backwards then play sound comes back.  It may or may not disappear later in the playback.  Either way, in the organiser playing clips either works, doesn't work sometimes (often??), plays with sound, plays some sound then stops.

Sorry...but this seems like a buggy program to me.

Thanks

Andrew