4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 10, 2013 1:51 PM by Peter Spier

Problem with image resolution in PDF

yhsvh

I recently downloaded a 4/C image(300dpi) from a photo agency and proceeded to create a cover for my publisher.

The publisher requested I send the file as a PDF which I did. Several days later the publisher informed me that one of my images showed up as a 72dpi. This was the same image I downloaded as a 300dpi. Can anyone explain what happened?

Running an iMac, Mountain Lion, CS6.

Thank you.

• 1. Re: Problem with image resolution in PDF
          MW Design Level 4

I sometimes receive low-res comps and once or twice accidentally placed them.

Otherwise, enlargement of an image will reduce/lower the effective resolution. As well, exporting a PDF with some of the presets will reduce the resolution as set in the preset. Which one did you use?

Mike

• 2. Re: Problem with image resolution in PDF
            Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant
            • How do you create the PDF? Which way, which settings?
            • Did you scale the image in InDesign?
            • How did you place the image in InDesign?
            • What does the link panel inform on the problematic item if you select it?
            • 3. Re: Problem with image resolution in PDF
              yhsvh Level 1

Hi Mike, Thanks for responding.

The image was placed at same size within the publishers template. Once my design was finished, I selected the import feature for a PDF/print. I did not select a preset. I might also add that I upgraded from CS2 to CS6. That's quite a jump.

Perhaps being new to the software is part of the problem; however, I never experienced this problem before.

What is the best way to proceed in the future? I have not seen the printers proof yet.

Norma

• 4. Re: Problem with image resolution in PDF
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

yhsvh wrote:

I selected the import feature for a PDF/print. I did not select a preset. I might also add that I upgraded from CS2 to CS6.

I presume you mean export PDF (Print), and even though you didn't choose a preset, one was selected by default. I don't recall what it is, but it's likely it isn't what you want.