6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 2, 2013 11:42 PM by Chillau

Some options not available on intro slide

Chillau Level 1

Hi there,

VERY new to Captivate so please be gentle with me. ok .. i have started a new project. on the first slide (intro) I want users to to enter their name and login details (student number). I am doing this to secure the site and so that eventually - when i work out how - the details will be captured on the LMS (moodle). however, the text entry box option and other things like buttons are not available for inclusion - they are greyed out. is there a setting i need to change for the slide or something else I need to do to make these available?

thanks,

C

• 1. Re: Some options not available on intro slide
          Lilybiri MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Hello and welcome to the forum,

It helps if you tell the version of Captivate that you use.

And I suspect that for the moment you are working on a Master slide, not on a regular slide. Text Entry Boxes are not possible on master slides. Check the Master slide panel: is any of the master slides there surrounded by a thick line? If you are working on a normal slide, it would be marked the same way in the Filmstrip (vertical, docked to the left side next to the toolbar in the Classic workspace).

Lilybiri

• 2. Re: Some options not available on intro slide
            Chillau Level 1

Hi Lily,

Yep, you were right. DUH! I've fixed that issue now. I'm using (well trying to use) Captivate 6.1 by the way. Thanks a lot for your help ... as you can see I am a complete newb. Be prepared for more posts as I limp my way to competence. Having fun though, i must say! off to try making a demo video ... *fingers crossed*

cheers,

C

• 3. Re: Some options not available on intro slide
              Lilybiri MVP & Adobe Community Professional

No problem, was once a 'starter' as well and this forum is the place where I learned to use Captivate.

A tip: if you want to combine video demo slides with normal slides in Captivate, don't start with a Video Demo project in the Welcome screen which will create a cpvc-file. In 6.1 it is not possible to insert such a cpvc-file on a slide, you have first to publish (to mp4) and that makes editing bit more cumbersome. Start with a normal cptx-project and use the option Insert, Recording Slide with option Video Demo. Then you'll have the Video Demo raw file as an individual slide, that you can edit directly in the cptx-file.

I'm happy that in CP7 this has changed (was one of the 'beggers'): you can insert a cpvc-file directly in a cptx-file.

Lilybiri

• 4. Re: Some options not available on intro slide
                Chillau Level 1

Hi again Lily (or anyone who can assist),

Lily, being a noob i made the very error you stated above and created 2 vids outside my main captivate project. However, i did work out how to save these as mp4's and I imported them into the project. they look fine and work perfectly in Preview, however, when i publish i get a message saying they are not in the right format. I am not sure how to fix this. any ideas about what i've done wrong?

also, i am trying to work out the best (easiest) method to share the project with my client for review. they are 2000km's from me. i had thought this could be dealt with via CC but Captivate cannot be shared that way. also, it's interactive - no quizzes but there are buttons, sounds and the vids - so Youtube is not an option. what would you suggest? maybe I should make a basic website and share it from there? or, can i send a file that will auto-open with flash?

by the way, the training modules I am creating for my client will eventually be made available on their blog for anyone to use and will not be associated with an LMS.

cheers,

C

• 5. Re: Some options not available on intro slide
                  RodWard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Best option is to post your content on a web server that your client can view.