2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 10, 2013 7:34 AM by ECBowen

PC conf

AndreySNK

Hello there!

I'm going to buy new pc to work with cs6 premiere, ae, davinchi, nuke and all of this with RED footage. I'm going to make some composite, color correction and edit.

Can you say me something about that? Is this configuration is Ok? or not...

MB - ASUS P8Z77-V LK

CPU - 3770k i7

RAM - DDR3 DIMM 32Gb (4x8Gb) PC12800 1600MHz Corsair

GPU - Gigabyte GF-GTX780, 3Gb DDR5

GPU - RED rocket

HDD - 3tb 7200 (for files)

HDD - OCZ 128Gb Vertex 4 (for system)

HDD - OCZ 240Gb RevoDrive 3 PCI-E (for work files)

POWER - 800W АТХ Chieftec

sorry for my bad english =)

• 1. Re: PC conf
          Harm Millaard Level 7

As always, you get what you pay for. If you are on a very tight budget this may 'work', but only at a snail's pace. It will be slower than molasses in winter. For RED material you need a far more powerful system for comfortable editing, but that costs $$$.

The GTX 780 is overkill with that CPU, memory and disk setup. Idem for the Revodrive which is way overpriced and has limited capacity and Chieftec PSU is mediocre at best. The combination of Revodrive and any video card on that platform costs 10 - 15% performance loss, because the video card throttles down to PCIe-8x.

For effective editing RED material you need:

1. The maximum number of cores and L3 cache you can afford. Best is dual Xeon E5-2687W, second best is i7-3970X
          2. At least 64 GB DDR3-1600+ memory
          3. A dedicated raid controller and a disk setup that delivers sustained transfer rates in excess of 500 MB/s on each volume.

If those conditions are met, then a GTX 780 or GTX Titan are worthy video cards.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: PC conf
            ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

The Red Rocket will take a considerable load off the CPU. However I would suggest a X79 system with that card versus the Desktop platform. If you must get the Desktop platform then look at Haswell 4770K+Z87 instead.

Eric

ADK