7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 11, 2013 9:33 AM by Giovannivolontè

cs6 camera 8.1 update question

Giovannivolontè Level 1

Hi

i have photoshop cs6 and i run under windows 7

today pop up the update of camera raw 8.1

well now 7.4 and works good

i'm worried about updat to camera raw 8.1 because it could be slower then 7.4

if i install camera raw 8.1 and i want to revert to 7.4 can do it? and how

i did in the past , but i got issues with cs5

thanks

• 1. Re: cs6 camera 8.1 update question
          Ashutosh.Nigam Adobe Employee

Hope info on this link helps you in your decision:

http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/

Regards,

Ashutosh

• 2. Re: cs6 camera 8.1 update question
            Giovannivolontè Level 1

hi

but there is no information if i want to go back to v7.4 what should i do

thanks

• 3. Re: cs6 camera 8.1 update question
              adriana ohlmeyer Adobe Employee

I think  Ashutosh was pointing you to the blog, so you can read about the update, see what features and new camera support is in ACR 8.1. If you find that is something you will benefit from, you can update otherwise you can stay with ACR 7.4.

• 4. Re: cs6 camera 8.1 update question
                Yammer Level 4

Yes, but it doesn't address the question, which is 'would it be slower?'. Not unreasonable to ask, when the first digit increases by 1.

In answer to the OP, it's not easy to roll back a version. Adobe doesn't provide a rollback method.

If you're interested, I came up with a rough-and-ready method for Windows, involving CMD scripts, which makes backup copies and allows you to revert to backups.

I'm still using 7.2, and it looks like I might be for a while. 7.3 onwards introduced a problem in Bridge with resource-hogging thumbnail regeneration, and I'm waiting for a fix before I upgrade.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5215419#5215419

(Post 249)

• 5. Re: cs6 camera 8.1 update question
                  Giovannivolontè Level 1

Hi Yammer

thanks

i would really appreciate the cmd script !

but i'm just a bit confused by the names

crstore.cmd ->backup ?

crchange.cmd -> restore?

I'm still using 7.2, and it looks like I might be for a while. 7.3 onwards introduced a problem in Bridge with resource-hogging thumbnail regeneration, and I'm waiting for a fix before I upgrade.

ops i did not know it

and the photoshoo update module does always let me install only the last version

• 6. Re: cs6 camera 8.1 update question
                    Yammer Level 4

mantralightroom wrote:

i would really appreciate the cmd script !

but i'm just a bit confused by the names

crstore.cmd ->backup ?

crchange.cmd -> restore?

Ha ha, yes, I suppose those names might have made more sense. I said I was rusty.

You can download the scripts from the link at the end of the original post 249 in the Bridge forum.

It's important that both scripts are run as Administrator, to overcome permissions problems. And you should always run CRSTORE first with any new version, to make a safe backup of the plug-in files.

Once you've preserved each version with your own naming system (I used 70, 71, 72, 73 & 74). You can then change to any version by running (for example) CRCHANGE 72.

Looking back at the code just now, it occurs to me that this is untested on 32 bit Windows, and I'm not sure the directory names are correct, so I'd suggest checking the scripts on 32 bit Windows. Does CS6 even work on 32 bit Windows?

• 7. Re: cs6 camera 8.1 update question
                      Giovannivolontè Level 1

nce you've preserved each version with your own naming system (I used 70, 71, 72, 73 & 74)

Hi

sadly i update from 7.0 to 7.4 so i haven't 71 72 and 73

i mean i did not backup the updates

which is the best acr version?

a friend of mine installed lightroom 5 (camera 8.1) , and he told me is amazing slow

Looking back at the code just now, it occurs to me that this is untested on 32 bit Windows, and I'm not sure the directory names are correct, so I'd suggest checking the scripts on 32 bit Windows.

the script works great !

Does CS6 even work on 32 bit Windows?

yes it does xp to windows 7

thanks again!