17 Replies Latest reply on Jan 23, 2017 2:07 PM by Loic.Aigon

[JS] ScriptUI CS6

Roy Marshall Level 1

Hi

Can anyone help me with a bit of ScriptUI. I am building a dialog box that contains a tabbed panel containing a single tab. I am filling this window with rows of editText boxes. Is it possible to make the tabed panel scrollable? There will be times when the screen is not deep enough, and need to be able to scroll up and down.

Screen Shot 2013-06-10 at 11.44.16 PM.png

Cheers

Roy

• 1. Re: [JS] ScriptUI CS6
          Trevorׅ Adobe Community Professional

Hi Roy,

Ignoring the Tabbed bit, the basic way of making a scrollable panel is like this.

With a bit of thought you should be able to adjust it to your needs.

Regards

Trevor

P.s. Maybe you can change the name of the post to a bit of a more informative one

// By Trevor http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1229123?tstart=0
          var w = new Window ("dialog","My Scrollable Panel",[100,100,400,400]),
                 p1= w.add('panel',[0,50,300,250]),
                 p2= p1.add('panel',[0,0,280,800]),
                 s = p1.add('scrollbar', [280,0,300,170]);
          for (var n = 0; n < 20; n++) p2.add('edittext',[0,n*30,280,20+n*30], "Hi Roy #"+n );
          s.onChanging = function () {p2.location.y = s.value*(p1.bounds[3]-p1.bounds[1])/100 - s.value*(p2.bounds[3]-p2.bounds[1])/100};
          w.show();

• 2. Re: [JS] ScriptUI CS6
            Peter Kahrel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Nice one, Trevor. I have messed around with rewriting labels and the contents of edittext items. The advantage of that is that it involves little arithmetic, but your solution looks very nice.

Peter

• 3. Re: [JS] ScriptUI CS6

Hi Peter

Glad that I got your attention

For aesthetics this is really quite nice.

Not to be scared of the arithmetic, it's the computer who has to make the calculations.

I have been working a lot on an advanced SUI and look forward to showing it of to you soon.

I have both your SUI and your Grep guides open on my computer practically from one restart to the next.

Regards

Trevor

P.s. Now that I have written this, some bright spark can figure our how to make a horizontally scrolling panel

var w = new Window ("dialog","My Scrollable Panel",[100,100,430,400]),
                     padding = 5,
                     innerPanelHeight = 800,
                     outerPanelHeight = 200;
              if ($.os.match(/Windows/i))
                  {
                      var  scrollbar = w.add('scrollbar', [275, 50 + padding , 296, 50+ outerPanelHeight -padding]),
                              outerPanel = w.add('panel',[10, 50, 300, 50 + outerPanelHeight]);
                  }
              else // Mac
                  {
                      var  outerPanel = w.add('panel',[10, 50, 300 , 50 + outerPanelHeight]),
                              scrollbar = w.add('scrollbar', [275, 50 + padding , 296, 50 + outerPanelHeight -padding]);
                  }
              var innerPanel = outerPanel.add('panel',[0, 0, 350, innerPanelHeight]);
              scrollbar.jumpdelta = 100 * outerPanelHeight / innerPanelHeight; // Make size of bar whatdoyoucallit (drag thing) propotional to the size of the windows
              scrollbar.visible = (scrollbar.jumpdelta < 100) ? 1 : 0;
              for (var n = 0; n < 20; n++) innerPanel.add('edittext',[50,15+n*30,200,35+n*30], "Hi Peter #"+n );
              innerPanel.location.x -= padding;
              innerPanel.location.y -= padding;
              scrollbar.onChanging = function () {innerPanel.location.y = scrollbar.value*(outerPanel.bounds[3]-outerPanel.bounds[1])/100 - scrollbar.value*(innerPanel.bounds[3]-innerPanel.bounds[1])/100 - padding *(1-scrollbar.value/100) };
              w.show();

• 4. Re: [JS] ScriptUI CS6

> look forward to showing it off to you soon

All ear and eyes!

• 5. Re: [JS] ScriptUI CS6
                  Jump_Over Level 5

Hi Trevor,

Peter's guides are opened on many desktops, I am sure

You inspired me for practice. Do you mean "horizontal scrollbar" alike this:

// based on Trevor's code and Peter's guide
                  var w = new Window ("dialog","Trevor's Scrollable Panel",[100,100,430,400]),
                      padding = 5,
                      innerPanelWidth = 800,
                      outerPanelWidth = 300,
                      outerPanelHeight = 280,
                      outerPanel = w.add('panel',[10, 50, outerPanelWidth, outerPanelHeight]),
                      scrollbar = outerPanel.add('scrollbar', [0, 0, 285, 20]),
                      innerPanel = outerPanel.add('panel',[0, 0, innerPanelWidth, outerPanelHeight]);
                      scrollbar.visible = true;    //(scrollbar.jumpdelta < 100) ? 1 : 0;
                      for (var n = 1; n < 7; n++) {
                          innerPanel.add('edittext',[50,10+n*30,255,35+n*30], "Hi Trevor #"+ n );
                          innerPanel.add('edittext',[305,10+n*30,505,35+n*30], "Hi Trevor #"+ Number(n + 6) );
                          innerPanel.add('edittext',[555,10+n*30,755,35+n*30], "Hi Trevor #"+ Number(n +12) );
                          }

scrollbar.onChanging = function () {
                          innerPanel.location.x = 
                              scrollbar.value*(outerPanel.bounds[2]-outerPanel.bounds[0])/100 - 
                              scrollbar.value*(innerPanel.bounds[2]-innerPanel.bounds[0])/100 - 
                              padding *(1-scrollbar.value/100) };
                      w.show();

• 6. Re: [JS] ScriptUI CS6

Hi all,

I made an easy to use scrollable panel function.

There is one significant change from the methodology used above.  That is the use of maximumSize, without using this the size of the inner panel is limited to the size of the screen.

Enjoy,

Trevor

function addScrollablePanel (toTheParent,
                                                                locationX,
                                                                locationY,
                                                                outerPanelWidth,
                                                                outerPanelHeight,
                                                                innerPanelWidth /* leave blank if not scrolling horizontally*/,
                                                                innerPanelHeight /* leave blank if  not scrolling vertically*/, 
                                                                barThickness /* optional */)
                        {
                            var  padding = 2, innerPanel, outerPanel, scrollbarH, scrollbarV;
                            innerPanelWidth || innerPanelWidth = outerPanelWidth; // if the optinal variables are not defined then define them
                            innerPanelHeight || innerPanelHeight = outerPanelHeight;
                            barThickness || barThickness = 15;
                            innerPanelWidth += padding;
                            innerPanelHeight += padding;
                            scrollbarH = (innerPanelWidth != outerPanelWidth + padding);
                            scrollbarV = (innerPanelHeight != outerPanelHeight + padding);
                            if ($.os.match(/Windows/i))
                                {
                                     scrollbarV && scrollbarV = toTheParent.add('scrollbar', [locationX + outerPanelWidth - barThickness -  padding, locationY + padding , locationX + outerPanelWidth  -  padding, locationY + outerPanelHeight  - padding - (scrollbarH && barThickness)]);
                                     scrollbarH && scrollbarH = toTheParent.add('scrollbar', [locationX + padding, locationY + outerPanelHeight - padding -barThickness,  locationX + outerPanelWidth - padding - (scrollbarV && barThickness), locationY + outerPanelHeight - padding]);
                                     scrollbarH && scrollbarV && toTheParent.add('statictext', [locationX + outerPanelWidth - barThickness - padding , locationY + outerPanelHeight - barThickness - padding, locationX + outerPanelWidth - padding, locationY + outerPanelHeight - padding]); // fill the gap between the scrollbarbuttons
                                     outerPanel = toTheParent.add('panel',[locationX, locationY, locationX + outerPanelWidth, locationY + outerPanelHeight]);
                                }
                            else // Mac
                                {
                                    outerPanel = toTheParent.add('panel',[locationX, locationY, locationX + outerPanelWidth, locationY + outerPanelHeight]);
                                    scrollbarV && scrollbarV = toTheParent.add('scrollbar', [locationX + outerPanelWidth - barThickness -  padding, locationY + padding , locationX + outerPanelWidth  -  padding, locationY + outerPanelHeight  - padding - (scrollbarH && barThickness)]);
                                    scrollbarH && scrollbarH = toTheParent.add('scrollbar', [locationX + padding, locationY + outerPanelHeight - padding ,  locationX + outerPanelWidth - padding - (scrollbarV && barThickness), locationY + outerPanelHeight - padding - barThickness]);
                                    scrollbarH && scrollbarV && toTheParent.add('statictext', [locationX + outerPanelWidth - barThickness - padding , locationY + outerPanelHeight - barThickness - padding, locationX + outerPanelWidth - padding, locationY + outerPanelHeight - padding]);               
                                }
                            innerPanel = outerPanel.add('panel'); // set the bounds after setting the maximumSize
                            innerPanel.maximumSize = [innerPanelWidth * 2, innerPanelHeight * 2]; // This needs to be set to at lest the required size otherwise the panel size is limmited to the screen size
                            innerPanel.bounds = [0, 0, innerPanelWidth, innerPanelHeight]; // now we can set the size :-)
                            scrollbarV && scrollbarV.jumpdelta = 100 * outerPanelHeight / innerPanelHeight; // Make size of bar whatdoyoucallit (drag thing) propotional to the size of the windows
                            scrollbarH && scrollbarH.jumpdelta = 100 * outerPanelWidth / innerPanelWidth; // Make size of bar whatdoyoucallit (drag thing) propotional to the size of the windows
                            scrollbarV && scrollbarV.onChanging = function () {innerPanel.location.y = scrollbarV.value*(outerPanelHeight)/100 - scrollbarV.value*(innerPanelHeight)/100 - padding *(1-scrollbarV.value/100) };
                            scrollbarH && scrollbarH.onChanging = function () {innerPanel.location.x = scrollbarH.value*(outerPanelWidth)/100 - scrollbarH.value*(innerPanelWidth)/100 - padding *(1-scrollbarH.value/100) };
                            innerPanel.location.x -= padding;
                            innerPanel.location.y -= padding;
                            return innerPanel;
                    }

function hiJareck (toTheParent, accross, down, n, nn)
                        {
                            accross || accross = 1;
                            down || down = 1;
                            /*        if (!accross >1) accross = 1;
                            if (!down >1) down = 1;*/
                            for (n = 0; n < down; n++) for (nn = 0; nn < accross; nn++) toTheParent.add('edittext',[20+nn * 140,15+n*30, 130 + nn * 140 ,35+n*30], "Hi Jareck #"+ (n+1) + " #"  + (nn+1) );
                        }

/* ****************** USAGE ********************* */

var w = new Window ("dialog","My Horizontally Scrollable Panel",[100, 100, 900 , 600]);
                    horizontalScrollablePanel = addScrollablePanel (w, 20, 20, 250, 70, 3700, false, 20);
                    horizontalScrollablePanel2 = addScrollablePanel (w, 20, 100, 250, 70, 1000, false, 20);
                    verticalScrollablePanel = addScrollablePanel (w, 300, 20, 200, 150, false, 1000, 20);
                    verticalScrollablePanel2 = addScrollablePanel (w, 510, 20, 200, 150, false, 1000, 40);
                    vertAndHorzScrollablePanel = addScrollablePanel (w, 250, 190, 310, 210, 3520, 820);
                    hiJareck(horizontalScrollablePanel, 26, 1);
                    hiJareck(horizontalScrollablePanel2, 7, 1);
                    hiJareck(verticalScrollablePanel, 1, 30);
                    hiJareck(verticalScrollablePanel2, 1, 30);
                    hiJareck(vertAndHorzScrollablePanel, 25, 25);
                    w.show();

• 7. Re: [JS] ScriptUI CS6
                      jjrger

Hi,

Searching for how to make horizontal scroll, unfortunately, these scripts don't work on CC 2017. I'm sure they were in CS6!

I can't find more recent about it. Is horizontal scroll in ScriptUI possible in CC 2017?

Regards,

Jim

• 8. Re: [JS] ScriptUI CS6

Trevor and Jarek -- Apologies, this thread somehow slipped off my radar back in 2013 and I never acknowledged you scrollbars.

Jim -- It's true that you can't see the horizontal scrollbars in Trevor's and Jarek's scripts in CC. I've no idea why, but it's probably related to the problems that Marc reported with the layoutManager. However, horizontal bars do still work but you have to set them up differently. Maybe there's a simple way to fix Trevor's and Jarek's scripts, but here is my take on it, which is rather different. I prefer to use ScriptUI's layout manager as much as possible because that makes windows more easily adaptable:

var w = new Window ('dialog');

w.orientation = 'stack';
                          w.alignChildren = ['left', 'top'];

w.column = w.add ('group {orientation: "column"}');
                            w.dummy = w.column.add ('panel', [0,0,300,200]);
                            w.hbar = w.column.add ('scrollbar', [0,0,300,20]);

w.row = w.add ('group {orientation: "row"}');
                            w.panel = w.row.add ('panel', [0,0,300,200]);
                            w.vbar = w.row.add ('scrollbar', [0,0,20,200]);

w.show();

For example, to change the orientation for a left-handed person, simply change the order of lines 11 and 12.

Peter

• 9. Re: [JS] ScriptUI CS6
                          Loic.Aigon Adobe Community Professional

Hi

Have you noticed that at some point, ScriptUI will stop displaying new items ? Unless I am wrong once you reach the monitor limits, no more items are rendered. Well at least it's all I have ever noticed.

I tried for a while to write a scrollable list à la flex including an itemRenderer and reusable items which I would relocate/hide/show but the effort was too huge for the time I had to achieve this.

FWIW

Loic

• 10. Re: [JS] ScriptUI CS6

@Loic

I never noticed that. Doesn't mean much but I'm answering the question.

@All

The methods I wrote above have various problems.

As well known SUI has a very large array of implementations depending on the OS, the application and the application version. Just compare the same SUI code in Illustrator, InDesign, ESTK, Photoshop, AE of CC2017. Their functionality can dramatically differ even more than their appearance.

Regarding complex use of scroll bars I have swapped the contents of edit boxes.

Peter writes about that in his guide, if one want's to have different widgets or different sized edit boxes then one would have to play around with stacking, visibility or size properties.

Smoothness would be lacking and scrolling long static texts would not be too much fun.

Probably the wisest move is to keep things as simple as possible even if it looks pretty bad.

Trevor

• 11. Re: [JS] ScriptUI CS6

Probably the wisest move is to keep things as simple as possible even if it looks pretty bad.

I can't agree more

• 12. Re: [JS] ScriptUI CS6
                                jjrger Level 1

I wanted to navigate in a table like this below.

Thank a lot for your help, it works fine, I need to perform the code now.

var list = ["01","02","03","04","05","06","08","09","10","11","12","13","14","15","16","18","19","20"];

var wGlob = new Window ('dialog {alignChildren: "left"}'); 

var entry = wGlob.add ('edittext {active: true}', [0,0,300,20]);

w = wGlob.add ('group {orientation: "stack", alignChildren: ["left", "top"]}');   

//hbar
                                    w.hbarGroup = w.add ('group {orientation: "column"}');  
                                    w.dummy = w.hbarGroup.add ('panel', [0,0,300,200]);  
                                    w.hbar = w.hbarGroup.add ('scrollbar', [0,0,300,20]); 

//vbar
                                    w.vbarGroup = w.add ('group {orientation: "row"}');  
                                    w.panel = w.vbarGroup.add ('panel', [0,0,300,200]);  
                                    w.vbar = w.vbarGroup.add ('scrollbar', [0,0,20,200]); 

//table
                                    w.tableGroup = w.add('group {orientation: "row",alignChildren: ["left", "top"]}');
                                    w.tableGroup.maximumSize.height = 198;
                                    w.tableGroup.maximumSize.width = 298;    
                                    w.table=w.tableGroup.add('group {orientation: "row",alignChildren: ["left", "top"]}');
                                    w.table.spacing=0;   
                                    //table, add lists
                                    for (i=1; i<15; i++){
                                    w.list=w.table.add ('listbox', undefined, list);
                                    }

// Move the whole scroll table in tableGroup
                                    w.vbar.onChanging = function () {
                                    w.table.location.y = -1 * this.value;
                                    }
                                    w.hbar.onChanging = function () {
                                    w.table.location.x = -1 * this.value;
                                    }

wGlob.show(); 

• 13. Re: [JS] ScriptUI CS6

Hi Guys,

I could finally get it to work meaning having a rich list while getting rid of the limitation that will make ScriptUI stop drawing items at some point:

Capture d’écran 2017-01-23 à 21.41.13.png

var main = function() {
                                    UI().show();
                                  }

var data = [];
                                  var i = 0, n = 200;
                                  while ( i<n ) {
                                    data.push({text:i+1});
                                    i++;
                                  }

var UI = function() {
                                    var w = new Window('dialog' ),
                                    list;

w.preferredSize = [200,250];
                                    w.alignChildren = ["fill","fill"]
                                    list = new List();

w.onShow = function() {
                                    list.add(w, 200);
                                    list.fill ( listItemRenderer, data );
                                    w.layout.layout(true)
                                    }
                                    return w;
                                  }

var listItemRenderer = function (parent, data ) {
                                    var g = parent.add('group'),
                                    t = g.add('edittext', undefined, data.text ),
                                    b = g.add('button',undefined,"?" );
                                    g.alignment = ["fill","top"];
                                    t.preferredSize.width = 100;
                                    b.maximumSize.width = 25;
                                    t.alignment = ["fill","top"];

b.onClick = function() {
                                    alert( t.text );
                                    };

g.update = function( data ) {
                                    t.text = data.text;
                                    }

return g;
                                  }

var List = function() {
                                    var max = 12, pnl, lstGp, sb, ls = this, sbValue = 0, itemHeight, index = 0, mul = 1, 
                                    index  = 0;
                                    this.listItems = [];
                                    this.data;

this.add = function(parent, maxSize) {
                                    pnl = parent.add('panel');
                                    pnl.alignment = ["fill","fill"];
                                    pnl.orientation = 'row';
                                    pnl.maximumSize.height = maxSize;
                                    lstGp =pnl.add ('group');
                                    lstGp.orientation = 'column';
                                    sb = pnl.add ('scrollbar');
                                    lstGp.spacing = 0;
                                    lstGp.margins = 0;

lstGp.alignment = ["fill","fill"];
                                    sb.alignment = ["fill","fill"];
                                    sb.maximumSize.width = 25;

sb.onChange = function() {

itemHeight = ls.listItems[0].size.height;

var sbHeight = sb.size.height, i = 0;
                                    sb.maxvalue=itemHeight*ls.data.length - sb.size.height ;
                                    var n = ls.listItems.length, movedBefore = [], movedAfter = [], notMoved = [];

var delta = sbValue - sb.value;

sbValue = sb.value;
                                    var itemsCount = index+Math.floor(sb.size.height/(itemHeight+lstGp.spacing))+1 ;

while ( i<n ) {

if (delta<0 && ls.listItems [ i ].location[1]  + delta +  itemHeight +2*lstGp.spacing < 0 ) {
                                    ls.listItems [ i ].location[1] = ls.listItems [ i ].location[1] + delta+ max*itemHeight;
                                    ls.listItems [ i ].index = ls.listItems [ i ].index || i;
                                    ls.listItems [ i ].index+=max;
                                    ls.listItems [ i ].update( {text:ls.listItems [ i ].index+1} );
                                    }
                                    else if (delta>0 && ls.listItems [ i ].location[1]+delta>ls.listItems [ i ].parent.location[1]+ls.listItems [ i ].parent.size.height )  {
                                    ls.listItems [ i ].location[1] = ls.listItems [ i ].location[1] + delta-max*itemHeight;
                                    ls.listItems [ i ].index && ls.listItems [ i ].index-=max;
                                    ls.listItems [ i ].update( {text:ls.listItems [ i ].index+1} );
                                    }
                                    else {
                                    ls.listItems [ i ].location[1]+=delta;
                                    }
                                    i++;
                                    }
                                    }
                                    };

this.fill = function ( itemRenderer, data ) {
                                    var i = 0, n =0;

this.data = data;

if ( !itemRenderer
                                    || !(itemRenderer instanceof Function)
                                    || !data
                                    || !(data instanceof Array) 
                                    || !data.length ) {
                                    List.isReady = false;
                                    }
                                    n = data.length;

while ( i<n ) {
                                    i< max && ls.listItems[i] = itemRenderer (lstGp,  data[i] );
                                    i++;
                                    }
                                    List.isReady = true;
                                    };
                                  }
                                  main();

HTH

Loic

www.ozalto.com

• 14. Re: [JS] ScriptUI CS6

Loic, it's not working for me tried with Mac using 2017

See what others say

• 15. Re: [JS] ScriptUI CS6

Why am I not surprised ? ScriptUI sighs…

• 16. Re: [JS] ScriptUI CS6

Loic,

Works ok over here on Windows 10 in CS6 and CC2017. But the scrollbar's behaviour is a bit funny. If you grab the slider and pull it down in one go, the list box is blanked. But when (after restarting the script) you move the slider bit by bit, it all goes well. Maybe the display problem is caused by the large number of jumps the scrollbar needs to make. When you set the scrollbar's stepdata and jumpdata to e.g. 50 it works better.

Peter

• 17. Re: [JS] ScriptUI CS6

Thanks to both of you for testing. I admit I don't have any expectation here unless maybe some pride if this went well.

I also noticed the blinking blanking effect.