7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 11, 2013 3:57 PM by JEShort01

Comments on PC Build for CS6

Hello everyone!

I've decided it's time to retire my old laptop and move to a desktop for my video editing (finally!). After reading through as much of the information on this forum (you guys are amazing!) and tomshardware, anandtech etc I've come up with a build I'm pretty confident of. Even so, since this is going to be my first custom PC I'd like some comments just so I don't miss anything. Please let me know what you guys think!

Usage: Primarily premiere pro, AE for colour grade, minimal effects and some 3D. Nothing 3D heavy like 3Dmax. Some photoshop. Definitely no gaming.

Footage: AVCHD. my old DV died so it's just my dslr now haha

Budget: ~USD$1400 +/- 100

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/14TOc
      Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/14TOc/by_merchant/
      Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/14TOc/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($249.99 @ Microcenter)
      CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($29.99 @ NCIX US)
      Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V PRO ATX  LGA1155 Motherboard  ($197.98 @ Amazon)
      Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($114.99 @ Newegg)
      Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk  ($129.98 @ Outlet PC)
      Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($84.98 @ Outlet PC)
      Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card  ($193.98 @ Newegg)
      Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($79.99 @ Newegg)
      Power Supply: SeaSonic 650W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply  ($127.98 @ Newegg)
      Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer  ($17.98 @ Outlet PC)
      Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($129.98 @ Outlet PC)
      Total: $1342.82
      (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
      (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-10 09:33 EDT-0400)

My reasons for choosing:

i7 as opposed to i5 because of the HT capability for video editing.

Asus motherboard which has wifi capability because I won't be using an ethernet cable, and I don't care for thunderbolt

GTX 660 non-ti because I plan to make use of MPE in cs6

2x8GB ram so I have the option of upgrading to 32gb in the future

Mid tower case vs full tower because i like how it looks and it's a good price I think cooling-wise I won't have too much problems?

Storage: I know 4 disks are recc, but I plan to buy more HDDs during the local sale period so just 1SSD + 1HDD for now

Questions I have:

PSU: According to the extreme power supply calculator (lite), my overall wattage comes up to about 338 (no OC). Um. That seems wrong? I went with the 650w because 400w felt like it was cutting it too close and the other option (i think it was a 460w) was fanless. Any thoughts?

OS: Is there really an advantage for win 7 pro over win 7 home edition for video editing? Because if I can save money with the home, I'd rather use that.

Optical drive: I personally have never owned a blu-ray drive so I don't think it's necessary, but what do you guys think of this drive?

Sorry for the long post! I most likely will be purchasing this weekend thereabouts, and I really would like to hear your thoughts on this before I take the plunge!

Thank you in advance

• 1. Re: Comments on PC Build for CS6
          RjL190365 Level 4

Be aware that Windows Home Premium is limited in RAM support to 16GB maximum - total. That means that if you are planning to upgrade to 32GB, you will not be able to use the extra RAM at all as such in Home Premium (Home Premium can only address the first 16GB of RAM even if you have far more than that installed).

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Comments on PC Build for CS6
            tessXD Level 1

Ah right right ok I thought there was something like that. Ok great thanks for the info!

• 3. Re: Comments on PC Build for CS6
              Harm Millaard Level 7

I wish everybody was as detailed and to the point as you are. Great job in documenting your questions.

Before answering your questions, I looked at the components you have chosen and used the eXtreme Power Supply Calculator Pro to figure out what you need and it came up to a recommended wattage of 653W with almost 44A on the 12V rail. This was done calculating an overclock to 4.5 GHz (why else would you want an unlocked CPU?), memory at 32 GB, 4 HDD's, 4 fans, BDR burner, 4 USB devices and the GTX 660 but nothing else. So your PSU choice is marginal, and I did not add the 10 - 15% safety margin that I always recommend. Remember that when you opt for a 700 or 750W PSU, it does not consume more energy than a 650W PSU, it just does it in a more relaxed way with possibly lower fans speeds and less noise.

PSU recommendation.png

Why would you want a different OS than Windows 7 Home? Because the Home Edition is limited to 16 GB memory, among other things, so definitely go for the Pro version. Otherwise you can never upgrade to 32 GB.

Basically your setup looks OK, but I'm always wary when people choose a mid-tower instead of a full tower. The Fractal Design XL R2 gives you much more room for expansion, easier installation, better cable management and better airflow for about the same price.

With only 16 GB to start with, with very limited disks, your choice of the GTX 660 makes a lot of sense (actually it is a bit overkill with the current configuration), but is a great card when you up the memory and add more HDD's in the future.

PS. Randall beat me to it.

• 4. Re: Comments on PC Build for CS6
                tessXD Level 1

Thank you so much for the detailed reply! I tried to do as much research as I could, read alot of your posts and went to nearly a thousand different links haha (still got a bit overwhelmed). RightI knew I was doing something wrong with the calculator lolz Thanks for clearing that up, I was waaaaay off hahah.

Alright looks like I'll be sticking to the Pro edition then I'll definitely give the XL R2 case more thought as well as a higher wattage PSU before I buy. And thanks for the confirmation on the video card too! I struggled with that one quite a bit hahah

Thanks to the both of you again for your help!

• 5. Re: Comments on PC Build for CS6
                  Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Why at this point in time would you go with an i7-3770K when the next generation i7-4770K is now available (plus you would need the LGA 1150 motherboard)?

• 6. Re: Comments on PC Build for CS6
                    tessXD Level 1

2 reasons really: First I don't think it makes much difference at my level of work (this is really just a hobby for me) and secondly I'm still on a student budget and this set up is already burning my pockets hahah besides I've edited on an i3 with 2gb ram for the past 2-3 years now, any kind of upgrade is gonna be huge hahah I'm happy with the 3770k

• 7. Re: Comments on PC Build for CS6
                      JEShort01 Level 4

If I were doing a build like yours now, the 4770k ($30 more over 3770k at MicroCenter) would be a no brainer. I just looked and Newegg has lots of Z87 motherboard choices in stock too for what appears to be very comparable pricing to the LGA 1155 options.

Your build is very well thought out by the way!

You would not be dissapointed with the 3770k, but if you have not ordered yours parts yet the additional outlay for the 4770k is really quite small - yes, even for a student!