An inability to package fonts usually means one of the following: An "invalid" character in the path to the font someplace or the font name, the path is too long, the font or folder is locked, the font cannot be properly activated by your font manager (not likely in this case).
You might also try clearing the font caches.
Thank you for your response. Would any of the probabilities that you mentioned be seen differently by CS6 than CS5.5? I ask because CS5.5 on the same machine packages everything correctly.
It's possible. I'm a Windows user, but my suspicions are that the problem in your case is most likely in the font or folder permission settings.
So has this thread died? No one has posted if a proposed resolution has or has not worked. I am having the same issue all of a sudden with fonts that used to package without any problems.
I was wondering if anyone has found a solution for the fonts not packaging. I also have tossed the cache, cleaned up duplicates and they still won't package and this also just started occurring for no reason. I have to manually copy the fonts into the packaged folder.
I believe I have this problem, or very similar, in both CC and CS6. It happens on both machines I use, detailed below, when I convert from previous version InDesign files:
Machine #1, Mac Pro:
InDesign CS6 v8.0
Mac OS 10.8.5 (12F45)
3.06 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon, 24GB RAM.
Machine #2, iMac:
InDesign CC v9.2.1
Mac OS 10.9.2 (13C64)
3.4 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM
1. I open a packaged inDesign file in InDesign CS6, converting it from the previous version (CS5 in this case, according to IDentify.jsx). The fonts are all working.
2. I resave the file as a CS6 file, fonts are all still working as long as I don't reopen the file. (However, if I close the file and reopen it, it will show fonts missing.)
3. I package the file from CS6, no font problems shown in packaging.
NOTE: I do not get a "could not copy fonts" error at all.
4. I open the new CS6 inDesign file inside the package folder. It will say "Fonts Missing: Calibri" or similar, showing some of the fonts missing, not all.
5. I can easily manually copy the fonts from the old package into the new package and fix the issue. The fonts are not damaged, missing, locked, or have any visibly different permissions from the other font files when I get info.
So for me the problem happens particularly with the resaving of files from older versions of InDesign, not necessarily with packaging them. If I open a CS5 file and resave as a CS6 file, then reopen that file, it typically has a few fonts missing. This happens to also effect packaging even though it will show all fonts present in the Package window and give no error message.
Checking the CS5 fonts package, it contains both a AdobeFnt14.lst and a AdobeFnt13.lst. Not sure if this pertains to the problem or not, searching these files reveals that both contain the "Calibri" font that went missing on CS6 conversion.
I have tried resaving and repackaging a CS6 file (not converting from CS5) with the same fonts that went missing in the conversion and they all were copied fine.
Obviously this is devastating if I package and send a folder out only to find out it secretly didn't have all the fonts!
I have tried "fix permissions" and "clear font caches" but this has no effect on the problem.