30 Replies Latest reply on Aug 24, 2013 6:00 AM by A.T. Romano

Is there a maximum number of scenes you can add in Premiere Elements 11?

Sacheltry

Hello,

I am using Premiere Elements 11 on Windows 7 64-bit. I have added about 22 scene markers but when I go to preview it, only about 18 show up. I tried burning the DVD and still only 18 are available.

Is there a maximum number of scenes you can add in Premiere Elements 11?

Thank you.

• 1. Re: Is there a maximum number of scenes you can add in Premiere Elements 11?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

The only limit I've ever seen listed in 25 -- so you should be within that limit.

But your markers (both scene markers and stop markers) do need to be at least a second or so apart. Are yours?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Is there a maximum number of scenes you can add in Premiere Elements 11?
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Sacheltry

Premiere Elements 11 will allow for maximum of 25 menu markers per project.

The program will allow you to add upward of 75 menu markers without a message STOP, YOU HAVE EXCEEDED THE LIMIT. But the moment of truth comes when you view what you have after your menu marker 75...all you have are pages representing 25 menu markers even though you have 75 placed.

This is not a page restriction matter, but rather a restriction on the number of menu markers you can add to a Timeline. Keep in mind that max. menu marker = number of scene markers + menu markers. Stop markers do not seem to go into the count.

I have written about this in my blog post.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/04/pe11-menu-marker-limit-implementation.html

What kind of markers are on your Timeline...just scene markers or scene markers plus main menu markers?

ATR

• 3. Re: Is there a maximum number of scenes you can add in Premiere Elements 11?
              Sacheltry Level 1

Steve,

Thank you for the reply. I have only scene markers. The closest any are to each other, are about 30 seconds.

• 4. Re: Is there a maximum number of scenes you can add in Premiere Elements 11?
                Sacheltry Level 1

A.T.,

Thank you for the reply. I have only scene markers.

I will look at your blog post for more information.

• 5. Re: Is there a maximum number of scenes you can add in Premiere Elements 11?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Sacheltry

What DVD menu are you using for your project? And, how many main menu and scene selection pages are showing up in the Disc Menus section when you have placed these 22 scene markers in the Timeline content?

You say that you have placed 22 scene markers on the Timeline Expert view. If you double click on the 22nd scene marker on the Timeline what does it show in the Marker dialog

Menu Marker 22 of 22 or something else?

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: Is there a maximum number of scenes you can add in Premiere Elements 11?
                    Sacheltry Level 1

It turns out I have a counting problem, not a Premeire Elements problem... . After reading your responses, I went back in and took a closer look. I actually had 26 scene markers. Once I cleaned them up, it worked fine.

Thank you both for your help!

• 7. Re: Is there a maximum number of scenes you can add in Premiere Elements 11?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Sacheltry

Great, great news that you are moving forward with your Premiere Elements project.

Thanks for the follow up.

ATR

• 8. Re: Is there a maximum number of scenes you can add in Premiere Elements 11?
                        Cureboy

Today i tried also to make a dvd with 26 chapters.. After creating the menu i only got 25.

I've read here that 25 is the max.. So to me i think this stupid..

I've deleted my project, the expensive APE11 program, and start working with dvdlap pro again..

Adobe dissapointed me again.

• 9. Re: Is there a maximum number of scenes you can add in Premiere Elements 11?
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes, the limit of 25 Scene Markers seems somewhat arbitrary. The DVD-specs. allow for 99 VTS's, and most full-featured authoring apps. will allow up to 99. Going back some versions, the number of allowed Scene Markers was higher, but was fairly recently lowered to 25. I have never run across any statement from Adobe on the "why."

I am fortunate to have Adobe Encore (now discontinued), to do my authoring.

Good luck with DVDLab Pro. Going back some years, I looked at it, but as I had Encore, which does most of the same things, I never committed. Looked like a good authoring program though.

Hunt

• 10. Re: Is there a maximum number of scenes you can add in Premiere Elements 11?
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Cureboy

Sorry you did not see this thread sooner.

Often, when the program is not designed for what we want to do, there are workarounds, but unfortunately I have not found any way to work around this Adobe restriction.

This menu marker limitation is not something new to Premiere Elements 11 (current version).

ATR

• 11. Re: Is there a maximum number of scenes you can add in Premiere Elements 11?
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

As you have worked on the 25 Scene Marker limit in recent versions of PrE, have you found anything from Adobe, that explains why that limit was imposed?

Just curious,

Hunt

• 12. Re: Is there a maximum number of scenes you can add in Premiere Elements 11?
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt,

Here is the story.

For Premiere Elements 4, 7, and 8.0/8.0.1, I can put as many as 103 scene markers (maybe more) on the Timeline with no warning messages or any indications of a restriction on the number of menu markers. But, when all is said and done, it has allowed no more than 98 menu markers on the Timeline for each of those versions.

For Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 and 10, i can place no more than 25 menu markers on the Timeline of either of those programs and, if I try for the 26th, I get a message stating the 25 menu marker limit.

Premiere Elements 11 has the same restriction of 25 menu markers, but it let me add as many menu markers as I want. But, still only allows for 25 menu markers (a lot of wasted menu marker placement if you did not know the limit already).

Why did Adobe make the change? I have no idea. Guesses. Unnecessary feature? If one were allowed 98 scene markers, even with a 6 buttons/page, that would result in a disc menu set up with 17 scene menu pages. Who wants to wade through 17 scene menu pages?  In such a situation, the menus would be the major attraction and the movie itself would be a short subject feature, And, I cannot see fitting 98 buttons on one page menu scheme.

ATR

• 13. Re: Is there a maximum number of scenes you can add in Premiere Elements 11?
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Interesting.

The DVD-specs. should have allowed for 99 VTS's, so 99 Chapter Markers and Chapters on the DVD. Not sure where the 98 came from. Maybe there is a VTS for the Main Menu, or something that I am not accounting for?

The 25 limit does seem arbitrary, but I have not heard/read any explanation for why it was introduced?

Now, it could well be that Adobe calculated the normal number of Scene Selection Menus, plus the Main Menu, and also any Motion Menus and Thumbnails, and realized that they were more than pushing the ~ 1GB limit to ALL Menus, so held things back. With full-featured authoring programs, one can increase the number of "Chapters" per Scene Selection Menu, so they could fit more Chapters, into fewer Scene Selection Menus.

Still, would be nice to hear the "why?"

Hunt

• 14. Re: Is there a maximum number of scenes you can add in Premiere Elements 11?
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt

Did the count on Premiere Elements 4, 7, and 8.0/8.0.1, and got that same 98 scene markers count for each.

My "math" was based on placing 103 scene markers, using a disc menu with 6 buttons/scene selection page, and ended up with 16 scene selection page each with 6 scenes plus a 17th scene selection page with 2 scenes.

You have Premiere Elements 4 Windows. Give it a try and see what you get.

We will be watching for the outcome.

Thanks.

ATR

• 15. Re: Is there a maximum number of scenes you can add in Premiere Elements 11?
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

I only have PrE 4 and 11, so cannot test other versions.

As the DVD-Specs allow for 99 VTS's, I can only assume that the Main Menu counts as 1, so that would leave only 98 remaining.

Hunt

• 16. Re: Is there a maximum number of scenes you can add in Premiere Elements 11?
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt,

Checking it out in Premiere Elements 4 would be OK for this purpose of confirmation.

ATR

• 17. Re: Is there a maximum number of scenes you can add in Premiere Elements 11?
                                          Cureboy Level 1

Thank you guys for your answers. I started with 11, did not used any adobe dvd author programm before.. So I wasn't aware of the 25 markers (in 8 or 10 or 11).

DVDLab pro is not bad, but somehow... I don't know... I wanted to try something else.

The project i was/am working on is a concert with 26 songs..

After putting 26 markers, i went to the menu creation part.

I thought i made a mistake... Then I started to google, and brought me here.

You should have seen my face

As I understand from you guys, it is not possible to fix this...

Weird that Adobe doesn't tell us why only 25 markers works. Although the explaination from hunt (the ~1 gb issue) is not bad at all.

At least there are people out there like you who tried to find this out.

Have a nice day..

• 19. Re: Is there a maximum number of scenes you can add in Premiere Elements 11?
                                            Cureboy Level 1

Then I thought, let me find encore cs6. But it is gone..

Now I try with premiere pro cc, and there is no menu maker in it.. Darn..

Do you know where to find encore?

Maybe I should try TMPGEnc Authorin Works 4 again.

Any ideas?

Oh well...

• 20. Re: Is there a maximum number of scenes you can add in Premiere Elements 11?
                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Cureboy

I have not done any research on currently marketed video editors that do offer more than 25 menu markers on the Timeline of the project.

But, have you looked online for good buy on Premiere Elements 4, 7, or 8.0/8.0.1? If you have an AVCHD Timeline, just a reminder that Premiere Elements did not support AVCHD until version 7.

ATR

• 21. Re: Is there a maximum number of scenes you can add in Premiere Elements 11?
                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Cureboy

In case you do not find the ideal standalone program for the project and issue described....

I have an idea for you to consider....not sure it will meet your requirements, but...

If the problem is just a 26th scene marker for a 26th song....

a. place your 25 scene markers for 25 of your songs.

b. let the 26th song be your signature music and place that in the program as a First Play before the menus.

If that sounds like anything that would work for you, I will give you details on how to do that with Premiere Elements and PgcEdit.

ATR

• 22. Re: Is there a maximum number of scenes you can add in Premiere Elements 11?
                                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

In PrE 4, XP-Pro SP3, 30 min. Timeline, I did a successful Burn to Folder with 99 Scene Markers and 1 Main Menu Marker. Bumped up to 101 Scene Markers and 1 Main Menu Marker, and the process hung fatally at about the 60% point in the actual Burn to Folder process.

The program let me continue adding Scene Markers, past that 101 point, without any error or warning.

Hunt

• 23. Re: Is there a maximum number of scenes you can add in Premiere Elements 11?
                                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

The authoring functions in PrE are somewhat limited, and pretty linear. They work for the vast majority of users, who have simple requirements, when authoring a DVD-Video. However, when one wants more advanced authoring and navigation, it cannot go beyond its general capabilities.

It is then, when we recommend other authoring programs, like Sony's DVD Architect.

As I recall DVD Studio Pro, it was a very powerful authoring app., but the interface was pretty basic. It did not reveal the power of DVD Studio Pro. PrE, and its once "big brother" Encore, uses the Sonic AuthorCore modules, but wrap those in an abstraction layer. The actual programing is hidden, and takes place behind the scenes. In DVD Studio Pro, one was working behind the scenes, and were up to their elbows with the programing. DVD Studio Pro even added a level, beyond Adobe Encore, cell-level programing, so that extremely involved navigation, and programing could be utilized. Encore, while much more powerful and full-featured, than PrE, stopped short of cell-level programing. DVD Studio Pro was a level up in power, from Encore (which was quite powerful), and stopped just short of Sonic Scenarist, a full-blown professional authoring app, which, with all of its modules, cost about US$ 50,000! The drawback to DVD Studio Pro (remember, I have not seen it in some years, so changes could have been made) was the lack of that abstraction layer - and one was working at a much deeper level within the code. Many users gave up the power that it offered, for the ease of us of Encore.

Well, that is all moot now, as Adobe has dropped Encore, so the only Adobe authoring app. is that function in PrE.

If you do need and want the power of a very full-featured authoring app., I would work with DVD Studio Pro, until I was comfortable with its working - great and powerful program, but with a bit of a learning curve. If you have been using DVD Studio Pro, I do not think that you will be satisfied with a program, like Sony's DVD Architect. While that is a very good authoring program, it does not possess the power of DVD Studio Pro, though makes up for that in ease of use - it's that power, that I think you will miss.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 24. Re: Is there a maximum number of scenes you can add in Premiere Elements 11?
                                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Cureboy,

The last version of PrPro to include Encore was CS 6. The new CC version does not include Encore - it is a dead program.

Hunt

• 25. Re: Is there a maximum number of scenes you can add in Premiere Elements 11?
                                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt,

Since my results are repeatble for Premiere Elements 4, 7, and 8.0/8.0.1 and do not confirm your count, report, and theoretical base, let me offer a detailed account of what I did and what I observed using everything that you used for your test, except the operating system and the specific source media. You appear to be using Premiere Elements 4 on Windows XP Professional SP3 32 bit while I am using it on Windows 7 Professional SP1 64 bit. My source media are over 103 jpg photos to give total Timeline duration of about 25 minutes. The first 103 photos each have a scene marker at its start. Each one of the buttons was carefully named from 1 to 103. No mistaking the count or scene involved.  In an additional test, a main menu marker was placed on the Timeline to give a Credits button on the main menu page. I am not sure what media you used, but would not expect for that to make a difference. We could explore that if necessary. The disc menu was Ocean Waves for this Premiere Elements 4 NTSC DV Standard project.

When Adobe restricts the number of Timeline markers for a project, the limit number includes any combination of main menu markers and scene markers. It does not include stop markers in that count.

Test 1.

103 scene markers

No main menu markers or stop markers

Ocean Wave disc menu with one main menu page which included the usual Play Movie and Scene Selection

Before burn to folder and as seen in the Premiere Elements 4 Create Menus section.

1 main menu page

16 scene selection pages each with 6 scenes + 1 scene selection page with 2 scenes = 98 scenes.

Burn to Folder

Folder (4.7 GB)

Quality Area Space Required 1.25 GB with Bitrate 8.00 Mbps

Preset = NTSC_Dolby DVD

Burn to Folder was successful. No crashes nor error message. Burn to folder time 10 minutes or less.

ImgBurn for DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc from burn to folder's VIDEO_TS

Successful burn to DVD

When this DVD-VIDEO on DVD was played back on computer or TV's DVD player, it contained

1 main menu page with its Play Movie and Scene Selection buttons

and

16 scene selection pages each with 6 scenes + 1 scene selection page with 2 scenes = 98 scenes.

Test 2

Same as above, except, after the 103 scene markers were placed, a main menu marker was placed on the Premiere Elements 4 Timeline along with the 103 scene markers.

The 1 main menu marker was represented on the main menu page as "Credits".

Here is the critical part.

Before the burn to folder there was

1 main menu page with Credits button representing 1 menu menu marker

and

16 scene selection pages each with 6 scenes, but now the 17th scene selection page had only 1 scene which put the allowable Timeline menu marker count at that 98 (1 main menu marker + 97 scene markers) recognized.

The ImgBurn burn to DVD-VIDEO on DVD play back confirmed the results.

There were no program or computer crashes involved in any of what I have described.

ATR

• 26. Re: Is there a maximum number of scenes you can add in Premiere Elements 11?
                                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt,

Interesting further developments in support of "98"...

Not taking anything for granted, I replaced my Premiere Elements 4 Timeline content with 25 minutes of video clips and placed 103 scene markers across its contents. Used the same menu Ocean Waves disc menu and got the same

16 scene selection pages each with 6 scenes + 1 scene selection page with 2 scenes = 98 scene markers.

No main menu marker thrown into the mix yet.

Now here is the curious part.

a. if I next placed 1 main menu marker (for "Credits") in a position BEFORE the last scene marker, then I would get

16 scene selection pages each with 6 scenes + 1 scene selection page with 1 scene = 98 total menu markers.

The main menu marker appeared to have bumped off one of the scenes.

b. but, if instead I placed 1 main menu marker (for "Credits") in a position AFTER the last scene marker, then

"Credits" button did not display on the main menu page and

16 scene selection pages each with 6 scenes + 1 scene selection page with 2 scenes = 98 scene markers remained (one did not get bumped off)

But the main menu marker was not serving its purpose to offer the "Credits" button on the main menu page.

c. Keep in mind that the set up was for 103 sceen markers on that Timeline....the only way that I could get the main menu marker to work (register "Credits" in the main menu page) while in that AFTER the last scene marker location was to go back to the Timeline and remove sceen marker 103, 102, 101, 100, 99, 98 so that I then had 97 scene markers and that 1 main menu marker to give total main menu markers = 98.

Please consider.

Thanks.

ATR

• 27. Re: Is there a maximum number of scenes you can add in Premiere Elements 11?
                                                            Cureboy Level 1

Thank you guys...

It's not a problem about 25 or 26 markers...

I think my problem is that everytime when a company updates their software, they take the good parts out (and i can't accept this)

I'm 45 years old, and can't figure out why they always think that their updates/upgrades makes their programms better.

Now, as for your answer about the 26th marker. Putting it in the menu as audio start tune was in my opinion not possible.. Well, of course it is possible, but the audio song is longer then 30 seconds.

Because if I remember right, APE11 only allow 30 seconds audio clips in the menus.

And 30 seconds is waaaay to short..

Have a nice day.

Regards from the Netherlands.

• 28. Re: Is there a maximum number of scenes you can add in Premiere Elements 11?
                                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Cureboy

Thanks for the follow up.

Just a quick note in case you misunderstood what I was driving at when I wrote back in post # 21

b. let the 26th song be your signature music and place that in the program as a First Play before the menus.

What I had in mind was a first play before the main menu page is seen (like in those FBI messages that can be seen at the start of DVD movies) I did a blog post on how to do that type of thing with PgcEdit.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/07/pe-first-play-for-dvd-video-on-dvd-disc.html

I have found no time limit so far on that first play content.

Wishing you success in your project whatever your decision.

ATR

• 29. Re: Is there a maximum number of scenes you can add in Premiere Elements 11?
                                                                Cureboy Level 1

Thank you for the link.. A lot to read. But now I am trying encore. If this fails, I am willing to try your solution...

The last 2 weeks, I did no work on my project.. Now I am motivated again

Have a nice weekend.

CB

• 30. Re: Is there a maximum number of scenes you can add in Premiere Elements 11?
                                                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

CB

Thanks for the update.

Any thoughts of trying to find online a good buy on Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 or earlier to take advantage of its feature set offering 98 menu markers?

We will be watching for your progress.

Also have a nice weekend.

ATR