8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 15, 2013 1:01 PM by Jeff Schewe

ACR 8.1 cropping question

vicki degruy

Hi, updated to ACR 8.1 this morning .. there have been some changes made to the cropping tool.  Used to be able to choose a custom crop size, either a ratio, or specific sizes in inches or pixels.  The latter two options have been removed in this version.  Anyone know why or how to get them back?  thanks for your help!

• 1. Re: ACR 8.1 cropping question
          vicki degruy Level 1

For the moment, I've rolled back the update to a previous version so I can get my custom crop options back.  When you have thousands of image files to process, losing a favorite workflow method doesn't make you happy! 

If anyone knows of an efficient way to obtain the previous custom crop options in ACR 8.1, please do let me know.  Thanks!

• 2. Re: ACR 8.1 cropping question
            RASouthworth Level 3

I believe the answer is no, subject has been discussed recently:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5339613#5339613

Richard Southworth

• 3. Re: ACR 8.1 cropping question
              adriana ohlmeyer Adobe Employee

You are correct. Please see Eric Chan's note. We are now closely matching Lightroom's crop options.

• 4. Re: ACR 8.1 cropping question
                vestan23

"We are now closely matching Lightroom's crop options."

Why?  What is the point of making an option less convenient for the sake of parity with a piece of software an ACR user may or may not use?

I hate to have my hackles raised by what is, admittedly, not the most major change in the world.  It just seems to me that if you HAVE Lightroom you probably don't spend a lot of time in ACR, and vice-versa.  Having to set the crop ratio in one place and the output size in another place when I was formerly able to set both in a single step is irritating and creates an opportunity to forget to do one or the other.

I'm sure that I will get used to doing it in a different way; it just seems nonsensical to throw a stumbling block in front of users for so arbitrary a reason.

• 5. Re: ACR 8.1 cropping question
                  Jeff Schewe Level 5

vestan23 wrote:

Why?  What is the point of making an option less convenient for the sake of parity with a piece of software an ACR user may or may not use?

Because the new Workflow Options add a lot of extended functionality...they didn't change it to match LR but to improve the usability. The previous functionality was, uh, primitive at best. Learn to use the new options and I think you'll find the enhanced functionality worth it.

• 6. Re: ACR 8.1 cropping question
                    vestan23 Level 1

It isn't that it's difficult to figure out how to use the new method -- my issue is with the fact that what was previously a 1-step process now takes 2 steps, and opens the door to forgetting one of them.  Before, I  didn't have to worry that the files I output might be the wrong size; now, I am expected to check the "workflow options" dialog each time I edit anything in ACR, something I have seldom had to bother with.

To me, the ability to save different crop sizes and ratios that could be recalled with one or two clicks would be useful, and less primitive.  I don't deny that there are added options in the new method.  They just don't   benefit my particular workflow, and the previous crop tool did.

Jeff Schewe wrote:

they didn't change it to match LR

Both Adriana's comment and the thread linked above by RASouthworth seem to indicate otherwise.  While it isn't stated outright that the change was made strictly for the sake of mirroring Lightroom, it seems to have been a motivating factor.

• 7. Re: ACR 8.1 cropping question
                      RASouthworth Level 3

I assume you noted that near the end of the referenced thread I found the new configuration to me more useful than the old.  Lose on thing, gain another, IMO net positive.

Richard Southworth

• 8. Re: ACR 8.1 cropping question
                        Jeff Schewe Level 5

vestan23 wrote:

Both Adriana's comment and the thread linked above by RASouthworth seem to indicate otherwise.  While it isn't stated outright that the change was made strictly for the sake of mirroring Lightroom, it seems to have been a motivating factor.

I can tell you it wasn't. While the LR and ACR team do make sure that the raw processing pipeline stay in absolute lock-step together, both teams have the freedom to have different UI and usabilities. ACR has a nive 9 sample point color sampler, LR only has one hover sampler.

So, when the ACR team wanted to improve the functionality of the Workflow Options (and don't be surprised to see more changes in the future) they looked at the successful usability of the resizing function in LR's Export and adopted and adapted it to ACR.