6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 11, 2013 9:06 AM by MarkTJohnsRSSP

Fonts missing in Illustrator, but present in InDesign

MarkTJohnsRSSP

I am asking this on behalf of our Art Department. I am the Systems Administrator. We have InDesign files from our customer, which our Art Department uses to produce pre-press proofs, and large-format digital prints. They have some files which look fine in InDesign, but when they create PDF's to bring into Illustrator to add crop marks, they show up with missing fonts. I am having them work around the problem by converting all the type to outlines before exporting, but we would prefer a better solution. The problem also appears using EPS for export.

We are on CreativeCloud, Macintosh OSX, Lion.

• 1. Re: Fonts missing in Illustrator, but present in InDesign
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Illustrator is not a general purpose PDF editor, and should really onoly be used to change PDFs produced in Illy. Any other files are likely to behave oddly.

There's also no reason to move from ID to Illustrator to add crops. They can be added automatically during export to PDF from ID, or added manually before export. That said, missing fonts in a PDF from ID almost certainly means either the PDF was distilled, rather than exported, and the fonts were not embedded properly, or the fonts are restricted, in which case a better plan is to use fonts without restrictions. Converting a restricted font to outlines to bypass embedding is probably a violation of the font license.

• 2. Re: Fonts missing in Illustrator, but present in InDesign
            MarkTJohnsRSSP Level 1

Thank you for you quick response. What is baffling to me is this is the same computer, where the InDesign file has no problem with the fonts in the file, but Illustrator does. The only reason we are using PDf as an interchange is that there doesn't seem to be any other way to get the InDesign files into Illustrator. Crop marks aren't the only thing our people are doing. I'm not an artist, but this is the workflow they have been using for years, and it's been fine until this season.

• 3. Re: Fonts missing in Illustrator, but present in InDesign
              MW Design Level 4

Try a test. Just copy the ID content and paste in AI. Ungrouping and releasing clipping masks will be required if changes are needed to be made.

But, like has been said, it is likely a font embedding issue. Look at the properties of the PDF, fonts tab. Any name changes? Same version of the fonts on the various computers?

Mike

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Fonts missing in Illustrator, but present in InDesign
                Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

MarkTJohnsRSSP wrote:

Thank you for you quick response. What is baffling to me is this is the same computer, where the InDesign file has no problem with the fonts in the file, but Illustrator does. The only reason we are using PDf as an interchange is that there doesn't seem to be any other way to get the InDesign files into Illustrator. Crop marks aren't the only thing our people are doing. I'm not an artist, but this is the workflow they have been using for years, and it's been fine until this season.

Even if this is the workflow they have been used for many years it is not a good workflow.

• It is a no-go to convert fonts to outlines in InDesign it can cause demage.
                • It is not good to open any pdf in Illustrator if it does not come from Illustrator itself. If you need to use a pdf in Illustrator place it and link it. Otherwise the font information will be destroyed.
                • Crop marks should always be added with InDesign export.
                • Avoid EPS. It makes no sense to use it except for very simple graphics like bar code or a simple logo without transparency. There is no reason to export EPS neither. Why do you use EPS? What for?

If a font is available in InDesign but not in Illustrator it might be that this font is in a folder with the name "Document fonts" which is found on the same place as the indd file. These fonts are available only to indd files on that place.

• 5. Re: Fonts missing in Illustrator, but present in InDesign
                  John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

All good questions, Willi, although I doubt poor Mark will have viable answers.

It looks like he is in the unfortunate position of supporting the activities of a shop where the staff have trapped themselves in a broken workflow by paying little or no attention to the technological advancement of their tools. It always baffles me, but some people simply aren't interested in improving their workflow, even when the improvements have been made for them.

this is the workflow they have been using for years

Mark, sorry, but but it was a convoluted workflow years ago, and it will continue to degrade as the tools evolve further. You're already seeing it.

and it's been fine until this season

They've been getting away with it until this season. That's a central part of the answer to the problem.

• 6. Re: Fonts missing in Illustrator, but present in InDesign
                    MarkTJohnsRSSP Level 1

Thanks for the suggestion. I am passing this information to our art department.  Hopefully this will be a workable solution to the problem.