12 Replies Latest reply on Jun 12, 2013 7:59 PM by the_wine_snob

Indexing & Missing Files

DeJacqueline Level 1

I am using Premiere Elements 11.  I made a movie with music, slides, and video.  I successfully copied it onto 11 DVDs then suddenly it will no longer make a copy.  Now when I load the movie it asks "Where is the file MVI_0472.MOV".  Apparently I must have erased it from my computer.  I just say skip it.  When I try to burn a DVD it says "Some media files are offline/unavailable and will be replaced with offline graphic".  Then the indexing window pops up and never does anything. I made a one clip movie to see if there was something wrong with my DVD burner but it was fine.  Can I save the movie as something else so it will quit looking for the missing file?

• 1. Re: Indexing & Missing Files
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

The easiest solution is to delete the missing file from your timeline and Project Assets panel so that the program will stop looking for it.

• 2. Re: Indexing & Missing Files
            DeJacqueline Level 1

Thanks Steve.  I just figured out that if I hover my mouse over each clip, it pops up with the name of the clip.  Is there a search function as I have a lot of clips?

• 3. Re: Indexing & Missing Files
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

The only search I know of is the one at the top of the Project Assets panel. But that will only locate the file in your assets panel. Not on your timeline.

• 4. Re: Indexing & Missing Files
                A.T. Romano Level 7

DeJacqueline

What is the problem with just taking one of the DVD-VIDEO on DVD discs that you have successfully made and using it with the exact copy feature of the burn software that came with your burner to make additional copies?

If all you want to do is to stop seeing the Media Offline colorful displays in the project from which the DVD-VIDEO came, then, as SG suggested,

a. open the project

b. when greeted with the missing media message, click on Skip All

c. then delete the Expert view Timeline content as well as the file's thumbnail in Project Assets. Save the project.

But as you realize, that will leave you with no file until you replace the missing one with the original or something else.

As you found out, you cannot delete or move source media that went into a project after you have saved/closed the project.

(When you get a chance, please check out Project Archiver feature, Archive or Copy option.)

Where do you typically save your source media?

We will be watching for your progress?

Thanks.

ATR

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Indexing & Missing Files
                  DeJacqueline Level 1

Yes ATR, that is exactly what I did since I had a good copy made.  But I am now working on another project and had the same problem.  I assumed that once I saved my work, it would have all the files saved with it.  I did not know that you have to always keep those files on your computer for future access.  I need to figure out a way to be more organized with my source data.  I don't like to keep too much stuff that I am not using on my computer.  I made a lot of practice videos and want to weed out the ones I don't want but now I am nervous about deleting anything.  Any suggestions?  Maybe I could make a list of the files in the movie.  Also I will check out your suggestion for the archive feature.  Can you tell me where to find it.  This is the first time I have seen the Project Assets as I normally do everything in the Quick View.  This looks helpful.

Thanks,

Jacqueline

• 6. Re: Indexing & Missing Files
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Jacqueline

Please check out the Premiere Elements 11 File Menu/Project Archiver with its Archive and Copy options. It is a life saver to avoid the separation of the project.prel file from the media that went into it.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premiereelements/using/WS09e4b3c48f3a79fc19b622510385d4355c-7d cb.html

Any question on it, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thanks.

ATR

• 7. Re: Indexing & Missing Files
                      DeJacqueline Level 1

This great information!  Just to clarify.... If I save a project as an archive project, I can now delete clips from my computer?  Also, if I understand correctly, I should use copy while I am still working on the project and archive when I think it is done, correct?

• 8. Re: Indexing & Missing Files
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Jacqueline

Yes. The life saver is that a Project Archiver Archive "Trimmed" or "Copied" Folder contains among other things copies of the source media for that specific project as well as the project file (project.prel). One of the basic differences between the Archive and Copy options is that with Copy you get a folder named "Copied..." which contains the project.prel plus all the media that got imported whether or not those media ever got used on the Timeline. By contrast, the Archive option offers a "Trmmed ..." Folder with the project.prel and just copies of the media that were placed on the Timeline.

You use the Project Archiver in a project when you believe that you are done or you just do not want to take any chances on losing anything by mistake. After the archiving, if you want to revisit the project, you right click the project.prel in either the "Trimmed...." or "Copied..." Folder and select Open With preferably the version that you had been working with. Beware, projects originated in one version most of the time can be opened in a later versions (sometimes problems) but typically you cannot edit a project from an earlier version when it was created an a later version.

Please let us know if the above has targeted your questions on this great feature.

Thanks.

ATR

• 9. Re: Indexing & Missing Files
                          DeJacqueline Level 1

Very helpful!  I wish I had known this earlier but it is hard to learn it all at once.  Thanks for your help,

Jacqueline

• 10. Re: Indexing & Missing Files
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

As you have discovered, the PREL (Project file) is only an XML database, with links to the physical media files, where they existed, when you Imported them. The PREL files do NOT contain any media, just the links (in absolute Paths) to that media. This article goes into more detail: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3397716#3397716

A Save, Save_As or Save_As_a_Copy will ONLY Save the PREL file. That article goes into more detail on using the various Save functions, but those will ONLY Save the PREl and not the media files.

As ATR suggests, using the Project Archiver WILL Copy the necessary media files, as directed, along with the archived PREL, linking to the media files.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Indexing & Missing Files
                              DeJacqueline Level 1

I wish there was some way that they could have told those of us who assume that "save" or "save as" does what it normally does in all other programs.

Thanks so much for this info!

• 12. Re: Indexing & Missing Files
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

The various Save functions are very similar, across the Adobe programs, but there are some exceptions.

Where many newer users get confused, is with what one is Saving. In the Premiere programs (PrE and PrPro), it is ONLY the PREL, or PRPROJ (Project) files, which are but XML database files - no media files included, but ONLY the links to those on the system. Too many assume that they are Saving an Exported/Shared/Published AV file, and they are not. That is a different operation.

This can be especially confusing, if one has used, say Photoshop, or Illustrator, where one is Saving the Image, or Vector Art. In those programs, there is no real Project per se.

That is why I created the Save article.

Good luck,

Hunt