4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 10, 2013 12:04 PM by A.T. Romano

Premiere 8 fit slides to audio

ktuthill72

Can't seem to find how to fit the slides to the audio in a slideshow.  Spent the last hour looking this up, can anybody help me?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Premiere 8 fit slides to audio
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

When you say "fit the slide to the audio" do you mean pace them so that they change to the beat of the music?

If not, what exactly are you trying to do?

• 2. Re: Premiere 8 fit slides to audio
            ktuthill72 Level 1

I'm creating a slideshow.  I want the slides to fit the length of the three songs I've chosen.  Right now I have more slides than audio.  I know when creating a slideshow in photoshop there was a fit slides to audio button that would automatically adjust the length of each slide to fit the audio perfectlu

• 3. Re: Premiere 8 fit slides to audio
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

The easiest way to do it is to use Publish & Share/Computer/AVI to output your slideshow as an AVI (before you add your music). Then start new DV project, add your AVI and place it on your timeline along with your music.

Using the Time Stretch tool on the AVI, you can then tweak its length to fit the length of your song.

• 4. Re: Premiere 8 fit slides to audio
                A.T. Romano Level 7

ktuthill72

As your found out, there is no "Fit Slides to Audio" option with the Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 workspace.

If that is an important consideration, you could always create your slideshow in the Elements Organizer 8/Create/Slideshow Editor where there is that option and then import your Elements Organizer slideshow into Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 for editing and export. You would use the Elements Organizer Slideshow Editor Output "Edit with Premiere Elements".

SG has suggested a way to get your photos and music to match up in the Premiere Elements workspace in the absence of the Fit Slides to Audio option. His approach seems to be

The easiest way to do it is to use Publish & Share/Computer/AVI to output your slideshow as an AVI (before you add your music). Then start new DV project, add your AVI and place it on your timeline along with your music.

I would like to suggest two other possibilities for your consideration, neither involves any intermediary export/import of the Timeline content.

Approach 1.

Example. 6 photos on the Premiere Elements Timeline, each with a duration of 5 seconds. So, total duration = 30 seconds.

Music on the audio track = 38 seconds. Giving you a total difference of 8 seconds between the photos and audio.

a. That means that you need to add 8 seconds/6 photos 1.33 seconds to each photo.

b. Hold down the Shift Key of the computer main keyboard and click on each of the 6 photos to select all at the same time. Then right click anywhere in the highlight, select Time Stretch.

c. The Time Stretch dialog is where you will be adjusting the duration of each of the photos all at the same time. The question becomes what values do I put into the Duration field of that dialog to indicate 1:33 seconds.  The readout is shown 00;00;05;00 for each of your clips (hours;minutes;seconds;frames). So changing the seconds, 5 to 6 is easy enough. But how to handle the .33 seconds to reflect frames?

If you are in a 30 frames per second system, then 1 second/30 frames x 0.3 seconds/x frames = 9 frames.

So your Time Stretch dialog Duration field should read 00;00;06;09 instead of what is was originally.

The slides should fit audio or there abouts. Minor adjustment can be made with the mouse cursor.

Approach 2.

SmartSound Soundtrack

This is a Premiere Elements feature (free soundtracks as well as purchased ones) where you can cut the feature's music to the exact duration that you need, maintaining the arrangement of the music.

Please review the above and let us know if any of that worked for you.

Thanks.

ATR