11 Replies Latest reply on Jul 5, 2013 2:10 PM by Michael Thornburgh

Multiplayer game: Unreliable data transfer over RTMFP

tigui.plante Level 1

Hi,

Currently building a real-time P2P game using RTMFP.

I’m using 2 types of NetStreams for data transmission between players, one with full data reliability (stream.dataReliable = true) for important game events, and one with partial reliability (stream.dataReliable = false) used to transmit states that are sent more frequently.

From the documentation @ http://help.adobe.com/en_US/FlashPlatform/beta/reference/actionscript/3/flash/net/NetStrea m.html#dataReliable, I understand that if the NetStream dataReliable flag is set to false, the data is still going to be resent if the packet is dropped.

However, I would like to have the ability to send data with no reliability at all, that is, if a packet is dropped, not resend is done.

This is an important feature required for dealing real-time data transmission under bad internet condition (5% packet drop, which can easily happen on WiFi). I don’t want data to be resent if it is outdated, also, I don’t want data to be piled up in the send queue until it has been received properly by the other player.

Questions:

• How can I set a stream to behave «fully unreliable» ?
      • When in partial reliable mode, is the data blocked on the sender side until the ACKs have been received ?
      • What is the send window in fully reliable and partial reliable mode (how much data we keep internally for resend) ? Is this configurable ?

Guillaume